My Legacy has arrived! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Smile My Legacy has arrived!

I got my Carvin Legacy VL212 Combo today!!!!

WOOHOO!!!! YIPPEE!!!! I'm like a kid at xmas time.

Sorry if I sound like a bit of a ponce, but its difficult to contain my excitement, and wanted to share this with you all. I'm sure many of you will understand...

These are beautiful sounding amps, a huge range of tones. I love the feature on the lead channel where you can back off the volume on the guitar and the sound cleans up.

Anyways, better go back and make some more noise....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 11:43 AM

Re: My Legacy has arrived!

Sweet...my Marshall is on the blink and I've been thinking about the Legacy. Does it really sound GREAT???? CAn I ask you what it ran you??? $$$$
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 11:49 AM

Talking Re: My Legacy has arrived!

Congratz and eonjoy .

Regards

André

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by et6666
I love the feature on the lead channel where you can back off the volume on the guitar and the sound cleans up.
I hate how they call that a "feature" in the Legacy propaghanda - that's something ANY decent tube amp will do for you.

-D
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
I hate how they call that a "feature" in the Legacy propaghanda - that's something ANY decent tube amp will do for you.

-D
That's correct. Most decent tube amps will sound that way if you lower the volume on your guitar.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew

-D
Well most of them at least. Not all of them. Try cleaning up a 5150 II that way :P
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 03:31 PM

Hey, et6666 why don't you post some pics of the combo? We have all seen the heads and cabs, but not the combo. Thanks in advance
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Ok bonehead, heres a pic of the combo, and of course I had to slip in the 777vbk.

jjemmer777, the Legacies are quite expensive here in Australia. A combo would run about US$2000. I got mine 2nd-hand for about US$1250. I'm sure you will have much better prices than this in the US.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~et6666/gallery
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the pics and once again congrats on the amp!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 12:59 AM

arrggh when will i get mine !!!!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 12:08 PM

I'm thinking of getting a Legacy as my next amp, how would you say it compares to a Marshall DSL100, soundwise and in terms of flexibility? I'm going for that DLR/P&W tone that Vai had, so nothing too extreme in terms of gain, and will be using a DS-1 as a boost.

Thanx,

Dave
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 02:10 PM

really can i have some gear ?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 08:13 PM

et6666

Did you buy your legacy form the Aussie importer?? I spoke to him about 1 month ago. I asked him if he would send up a legacy head for me to test and said that unless I bought it first he wouldn't.

Can you give us a review of how y rate the legacy.

Sanchez
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 10:07 PM

Congrats ! I can say that you will keep that warm fuzzy feeling for your legacy. I have a half stack and love it even after years of enjoying it's wonderful tone.

HAVE FUN!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 12:37 AM
Gex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vai_disciple
I'm thinking of getting a Legacy as my next amp, how would you say it compares to a Marshall DSL100, soundwise and in terms of flexibility? I'm going for that DLR/P&W tone that Vai had, so nothing too extreme in terms of gain, and will be using a DS-1 as a boost.

Thanx,

Dave

The Legacy is smoother and alot darker than a Marshall. While its a very nice sounding amp, very high quality (IMO better than a DSL100) its probably NOT going to be good for that David Lee Roth/ Passion and Warfare tone, which is a VERY VERY BRIGHT tone.

For that early Vai tone (that I too have been chasing! they are my most favorite tones EVER!) you'll probably need something more in the Marshall chain. He used modded Marshalls and Carvin X-100B's for that stuff. So I would start looking at Marshalls. Your going to need a boost for the JCM 800 and the plexis, but they should have a very very good Vai sound when boosted.

Tags
combo amp , david lee roth , dimarzio super distortion , jackson dinky , marshall dsl , modded marshall , power amp , squire strat , super distortion , tube amp , tube amps , tube tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode