My Line6 Variax Acoustic Review - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned

My Line6 Variax Acoustic Review

I've had this guitar for about a year now. I originally bought it so I could cover the banjo parts in the country band I play in. It does do that. Also since I play in church, it would be easy to just plug it in and go. It has some very cool features, the best of which is alternate tunings at the touch of a button. You can program any alternate tuning and access it at the touch of a button on the guitar, or by the Line6 XT live pedal board. It works well with the pedal board for several reasons. Basically, anything the guitar can do, it can do it better with the XT live. All the features are programmable and foot switchable. The guitar has built in compressor and simulated mic placement. The XT live has amp models that work well with the Variax. It's not a Taylor tonally. But it does it's best work through a PA. I was looking at the Taylor with the electric pickups when I bought this. I thought it was far more versatile even though it didn't sound as amazing as a $2000 Taylor. I suppose I'd give it 7.5 out of 10 in acoustic guitar tone. and a full 10 in versatility. It's fun to play, and it never feedsback, and the strings don't get unwanted resonation from playing in concert with a loud PA.

This is an audio sample of the Line 6 Variax Acoustic 700
There are more models than these. But I limited it to just these for this review. I can't play the Dobro to save my life, or banjo, or sitar, or even guitar well for that matter. But I think this is a great guitar. I plan on installing a guitar pickup in the "sound hole" at some point to use it as and electric guitar as well. It'll probably be a single coil of some sort. Here's the models I recorded in order.

http://www.christianbattleofthebands...cVariax700.mp3

It's about 3 mins of samples.

1. Jumbo
2. 12 string
3. Dobro
4. You can change to Drop D with the push of a button. Tuning Change with Button
5. Nylon String
6. Banjo
7. Sitar
8. Jazz Model
9. Dreadnought

http://line6.com/variaxacoustic/
Quote:
Variax® Acoustic 700 offers you 16 models of the finest acoustic instruments on the planet with the push of a button. You can easily access jumbos, 12-strings, or even a nylon string classical to suit any style of play. Variax Acoustic 700 gives you the freedom to achieve an expertly mic'd acoustic sound without complex setups or feedback, even at concert-level volumes! Recording a great acoustic sound no longer requires a noise-free environment or a big equipment budget; just plug in and go. You also get instant access to alternate tunings for endless possibilities to fuel your inspiration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 12:12 AM

Re: My Line6 Variax Acoustic Review

Thanks for a very useful post - and your playing sounded great to me.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik View Post
Thanks for a very useful post - and your playing sounded great to me.
Thank you.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I've played the electric Variax only once. I didn't get enough time to really check it out. The Line6 electric guitars seem to suck actually. But I heard alot of guys pull the electronics out of a Variax and install into Strats and other better guitars. I would consider doing that to a 570. Anyone have any experience with the Variax models?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 06:46 PM

You can find the 300 for $299. Warmoth sell necks and bodies specifically for the Variax.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 06:54 PM

I always wondered when you use the alternate tuning settings do you sue standard chord shapes or do you play they guitar as it is physically tuned different
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 08:20 PM

You play the guitar as if it is physically tuned differant.

It's One of the main reasons I got one.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I never learned to play alternate tunings really. I wish I had so I could take advantage of this thing.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I've had this guitar for about a year now. I originally bought it so I could cover the banjo parts in the country band I play in. It does do that.
How does that work out? I play a bit of 5 string banjo, and whenever I've played any of the 6-string "banjos" strung like guitars... well, it just doesn't sound right. The 5th string of a banjo is *higher* in pitch than all the other strings, and it gets hit about every 3rd note (because if you pick Scruggs style, you use the thumb, and two fingers. or "fangers" as Scruggs calls them), usually open, which is a big part of what gives a banjo that characteristic sound. That seems like a big part of what's missing from/wrong with all the guitar-like simulations of banjos, to me.

Just curious about what you think given that input. I suppose for a skilled enough guitarist, it might be no problem to emulate. For me... I'd be forced to just pick a banjo to get that banjo sound.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Lepidoptera View Post
How does that work out? I play a bit of 5 string banjo, and whenever I've played any of the 6-string "banjos" strung like guitars... well, it just doesn't sound right. The 5th string of a banjo is *higher* in pitch than all the other strings, and it gets hit about every 3rd note (because if you pick Scruggs style, you use the thumb, and two fingers. or "fangers" as Scruggs calls them), usually open, which is a big part of what gives a banjo that characteristic sound. That seems like a big part of what's missing from/wrong with all the guitar-like simulations of banjos, to me.

Just curious about what you think given that input. I suppose for a skilled enough guitarist, it might be no problem to emulate. For me... I'd be forced to just pick a banjo to get that banjo sound.
I have no idea how to play banjo. I just play "guitar" on the banjo model. It's not even the right part. But it's banjo sound and that's good enough for us.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
You can find the 300 for $299. Warmoth sell necks and bodies specifically for the Variax.
Yeah, a hot setup would be to pick off a cheap 300 from Evilbay and then get a really nice neck and body from Warmoth. Kinda pricey, but damn cool.

IMO the Variax stuff really came into its own with the Workbench software. The flexibility is just sick!

Tags
acoustic guitar , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , electric guitar , foot switch , pedal board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode