My Mesa Single Rectifier is not 100% please help !! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25
My Mesa Single Rectifier is not 100% please help !!

Hey all
a few moons ago I attempted a parallel to series fx loop mod. Easy to do or so I thought. Something went wrong I think

When im plugged direct into the amp and simply turn all vol down on the gain channel I can still hear my guitar playing through the speakers...

Im almost certain this has something to do with my series loop mod..

I really dont want to have to take this to a repair guy, they charge a fortune and the amp sounds awesome as it is, and the issue isn't that big of a deal, but I would like the amp to work 100% as its supposed to.

If by some od chance there are some amp experts on jemsite , please help a brotehr out...

I have also emailed Mesaboogie and wait for there response...

yeah yeah I know the red electric tap aint professional but it is soldered on the inside..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: My Mesa Single Rectifier is not 100% please help !!

If worse comes to worst... just revert it back to how it was by undoing what you just did.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:37 AM

Do you have the schematic?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzius View Post
If worse comes to worst... just revert it back to how it was by undoing what you just did.
+1000

For god sake just revert it back.
Why people buy an awesome amp which is expensive and try to do those crap mods?
I mean even if you were an electronics engineer still it's a mesa boogie and not a pod.
It's good the way it's, if it's not good for you just don't buy it.
Revert it back and it'll be ok unless you changed parts and throwed them away.
Good lord why?!................lol
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:44 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
I have also emailed Mesaboogie and wait for there response...

They are gonna tell you this:

- Any mod to our amps void you warranty LOL
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 AM

I've seen this mod (other peoples photos) many times, although I think people usually wire to the centre lug on the pot instead of taping the two wire ends together. Same thing, I guess, as it's a direct contact between two wires.

The loop pot has a minimum 10% level, so you never got to 0%, right? Which means to say that 10% of the signal always passed thru when the loop was engaged in parallel. So what are you worried about? Now it's a direct feed and there might be some bleed. Your time based effects should sound better with this mod. Place a noise gate in the loop if you have to. The threshold should be fairly low, I'd think.

Best bet is to jump on the Boogie Board site and ask....... ahhhhh, I see that you did.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
+1000

For god sake just revert it back.
Why people buy an awesome amp which is expensive and try to do those crap mods?
I mean even if you were an electronics engineer still it's a mesa boogie and not a pod.
It's good the way it's, if it's not good for you just don't buy it.
Revert it back and it'll be ok unless you changed parts and throwed them away.
Good lord why?!................lol
There are reasons to do the mod from parallel to series. Many have complained about it being parallel because time based effects don't work properly. Even Mesa has acknowledged this. Unfortunately, Mesa still make them in parallel only. And furthermore, it's a real pain when the amp is under warranty as any mods will void the warranty. I suspect the OP has an amp out of warranty.

No point crucifying the guy. He's asking for help.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaklynx View Post
There are reasons to do the mod from parallel to series. Many have complained about it being parallel because time based effects don't work properly. Even Mesa has acknowledged this. Unfortunately, Mesa still make them in parallel only. And furthermore, it's a real pain when the amp is under warranty as any mods will void the warranty. I suspect the OP has an amp out of warranty.

No point crucifying the guy. He's asking for help.
lol = laughing cause it was joke.
If you were here more you'd know I LOVE mesa boogies but there are no mesa boogie sellers in my country so I always say mesas are my heaven so "touching" them is a heresy.
It's a joke.
So don't judge what somebody said if you're never here and don't know his way of making jokes.
If you bought something you have the right of making it sounding the way you need/want so I wasn't crucifying, I was joking
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25

Yeah its long passed its warranty, and modding amps is just another bit of fun I do just like changing pickups on rare J Customs

Amp still sounds amazing and changing the fx loop to series seems to work with the mod I did. I really just want to know if the bleed of vol is normal, then id still be happy, cause my time based effects work amazing and using the 4CM method with my Boss GT-10 does sound amazing..

Im not expecting Mesaboogie to act on the warranty, Im asking them to let me know if my mod attempt was correct. I have read on mesa forums that mesa has acknowledged the mod and that it works.

anyways im still open to responses

Last edited by IbanezFreak777; 06-25-2011 at 05:52 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Reviews: 11

Have you thought about wiring a kill switch for the loop?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 PM

So if you turn your amp down to zero, there's still a small amount of sound coming through?

Gee, that must really annoy the audience during the songs where you have to turn your amp down to zero.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:09 PM

I didn't know this at first and couldn't understand why my Delay pedal was awesome on my Mark V and sounded like crap on my friend's Single Rec. It wasn't until later that I found out about parallel vs series effects loops. That being said, I can completely sympathize with the OP on why he would want to do this mod (especially after it's out of warranty).

Quote:
Many have complained about it being parallel because time based effects don't work properly. Even Mesa has acknowledged this. Unfortunately, Mesa still make them in parallel only.
Actually, they've FINALLY started to put Series loops in their amps. The new Dual Rec (2010+), Roadster, Road King II, and Mark V all have Series effects loops. Why they waited so long and still don't do it on the Single Rec (not sure about the Triple) I don't know.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
lol = laughing cause it was joke.
If you were here more you'd know I LOVE mesa boogies but there are no mesa boogie sellers in my country so I always say mesas are my heaven so "touching" them is a heresy.
It's a joke.
So don't judge what somebody said if you're never here and don't know his way of making jokes.
If you bought something you have the right of making it sounding the way you need/want so I wasn't crucifying, I was joking
Fair enough, however, I do visit these forums and often. Just because I don't post everyday doesn't mean I don't visit. I read the posts that interest me and will contribute.

I read your post and thought it came across as very judgmental. Just because there's a "LOL" doesn't mean that it comes across as a joke. It can come across as being sarcastic or otherwise. This is how I understood your post, "You did this mod, you stuffed around with an amp that is perfectly OK. Now I'm laughing my a*s off at your stupidity for stuffing it up."

I trust you can see how your wording in your post led me to believe that you weren't joking. I guess that's the problem with words on a screen, you cannot 'hear' how someone would say it in real life. Also, I am mindful of others who don't have English as a first language. I apologise if I caused you any offence.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEmuOfDoom View Post
I didn't know this at first and couldn't understand why my Delay pedal was awesome on my Mark V and sounded like crap on my friend's Single Rec. It wasn't until later that I found out about parallel vs series effects loops. That being said, I can completely sympathize with the OP on why he would want to do this mod (especially after it's out of warranty).

Actually, they've FINALLY started to put Series loops in their amps. The new Dual Rec (2010+), Roadster, Road King II, and Mark V all have Series effects loops. Why they waited so long and still don't do it on the Single Rec (not sure about the Triple) I don't know.
Is that right? I haven't looked at the specs for the latest amps so was going by the amount of 'parallel to series mod' posts on the Boogie Board. I also can't recall anyone mentioning that these new amps are series (on the same site), that's why I meantioned it. I need to be a bit thorough.....
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Also, I am mindful of others who don't have English as a first language. I apologise if I caused you any offence.
No ofense AT ALL, just like you said some have different languages and texts don't show their faces but when we know a member, it's easier to tell if he's joking or not even if he has a different language or we're not seeing his face. Don't take internet that serious, they're just texts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode