My new cab shelf - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

My new cab shelf

Ok, I don't get to design new gear all too often, but I'm just in the process of working with a local cab builder (Tim from Saxon Cabs http://www.saxon-cabs.ca ) to get an idea I had made and he just finished the cabs and just sent me some pics so I figured I might as well show you guys my idea come to life. It's a product that I hope to market soon.

The cabs!! A 2x12 and a 4x12

The bottom cab is just a straight 2x12 birch cab with two eminence Guvnors which are essentially Vintage 30 clones just a bit more affordable. I've been running a crappy 1x12 carvin can underneath my workbench for the longest period of time and figured I could get an upgrade. The 2x12 cab cost me about $525 Canadian which is about $480USD which isn't bad for a brand new 2x12. A client of mine bought one recently and I thought it sounded great so I decided to get one myself.

*****BUT****

That's 2x12 is just for show. While it actually delivers the sound, the real centerpiece is the 4x12 cab on the top which strangely enough has a key lock on it. If you've noticed, you can't see the actual speakers there, and that's because THERE ARE NONE!!

It's my new Cab shelf!!!

The 4x12 cab itself is really just an empty cab without speakers! I cam eup with this because I used to have a full stack and had to sell it due to noise concerns and constant harassment from my ex-wife who needless to say is no longer around. However, I did think that a 4x12 at home or in my workshop is a little too much BUT it just looks so damn cool. My workaround?? get a 2x12 cab on the bottom for me to hook up my head to and turn a 4x12 cab into literally... a cabinet!!

Here's the 4x12 cab by itself. The front grill is just a blank baffle with a mesh grill cloth over it.

(it appears that both Tim the cab builder and I have Rottweillers)

and here's the cab with the door open

This is basically where I'll be storing parts, pickups and other goodies that I want to stash and lock up but still make use of the vertical space that a stack would normally take up. Pretty cool huh??

The whole idea was so that when people come and check out guitars and plug into the amp, the sound will appear to be coming from the cabs because of the 2x12 underneath but then I'll just open up the cab door to grab something and through them off.

I just struck a deal with Saxon cabs and it looks like I might be pulling off a joint venture with them to distribute both the cabs and the cab shelves. If anyone has any ideas on what other uses I can get out of this I'd love to hear it!

Note: I'm already thinking of somehow wedging a beer fridge into this.

PS. Everyone who plays guitar needs one of these, I just can't stop thinking about how cool this thing is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: My new cab shelf

How about:

1. A built-in active speaker jack with automatic impedance selector inside and outside the cabinet to hook up a cab to without having to worry about matching impedance

2. A slide-out tray for the amp?

3. A Rack rail option?

4. A row of LED lights at the top for illumination

Jimmy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:53 PM

Sick!!!!

I like that idea!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 06:30 PM

this is just too cool. I'd love to have one of these in my studio. I'd really love it if the shelves were compartmentalized with drawers or something.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 12:27 PM

Reviews: 12

While it's an inventive idea, for the space it occupies I would rather have a working 4x12 with actual speakers.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 PM

awesome!!

Tags
amp cab , cab , cab shelf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode