My Rig - Not as interesting as yours, but... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
My Rig - Not as interesting as yours, but...

Here's my current rig. It's small, not so expansive (at least compared to some monster ones I've seen here ) and vesatile for me. The only thing that's missing is a good amp. I was saving for a Cyber-Twin, but I've bought an Yamaha APX-10 acoustic instead (damn G.A.S.!! ). Here are the pics:

From left to right: Ibanez JEM 555WH (PAF Pro bridge, JEM single middle and Evo bridge), Yamaha APX-10, Washburn EA20B and Cort S2600. Laying on sofa: custom made nylon-stringed acoustic and Epiphone SG.

My pedalboard: signal goes from guitar to Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby to Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer (TS-808 circuit inside) to amp. From FX Send to BOSS GE-7 Equalizer to Danelectro Dan-Echo to Morley PVO to FX Return.

A shot of my amps: a Fender Roc Pro 700 and a practice Marshall MG215RCD. Notice the small Zoom 505II connected to my practice amp. Perfect to play at 3.00 AM!

Now, a question: I need urgently to buy a good amp. I really like Fender tone and I was thinking about the Cyber-Twin. Is there any other similar option (about tone) in the same price range?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 11:35 AM

My Rig

Well, a similar genre of amp is the Johnson Millenium amp, but I've never seen one that's not a combo. *It's the same idea, like an upscale digital thing. *(I think that's what a Fender cyber-twin does) *With all of your effects, though, I'd just go for a nice solidstate tube or fake tube or just go for the Carvin Legacy!! *
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 02:39 PM

My Rig

*cough* Line6

(Hey, someone had to say it)
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 10:22 PM

My Rig

Carlos, here in BH there's a shop selling a Flextone 212 for R$3600 with floor board.
If my mind don't fail it's a 2x12 with a POD inside + on/off all effects, distortion, eq, reverb, volume control, wha or changins presets
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 10:25 PM

My Rig

Bullseye. *2X12 version of POD. *Except you don't get the on/off of effects without the floorboard (also works with POD).
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

My Rig

Quote:
LGMT on 11:22 pm on Dec. 1, 2001
Carlos, here in BH there's a shop selling a Flextone 212 for R$3600 with floor board.
If my mind don't fail it's a 2x12 with a POD inside + on/off all effects, distortion, eq, reverb, volume control, wha or changins presets
I've played on some Line6 amps, including the Flextone 212. I don't like them very much, because they sound a little artificial to me. They do not compare to Fender Cyber-Twin or Marshall AVT 275.
What about those tube Laneys (combos)? Are they in the same price range as CT or AVT?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

My Rig

Quote:
Two hands31 on 11:25 pm on Dec. 1, 2001
Bullseye. *2X12 version of POD. *Except you don't get the on/off of effects without the floorboard (also works with POD).
What exactly does the floorboard control?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 09:07 PM

My Rig

I'll gladly put in a plug for anything made by Johnson. I have both a JM150 Millennium and a JM120 Marquis.

The JM150 is a really sweet amp. It's ridiculously flexible, but only as complex as you want it to be. It's got a great variety of tones and FX. The preamp is tube driven (2 12ax7's) with a solid state power amp. It's loaded with 2 12" Celestion Vintage 30's which push considerable amounts of air. You could probably get a used one for slightly less than the Cybertwin, and I personally guarantee it will kick the Cybertwin's a$$ into next week. This is also available as the JM250 head with various cab options.

The JM120 is a pretty cool amp, too--I use it for a backup amp. It has a different set of models and FX than the JM150. It isn't quite as flexible, but there is something to be said for it's simplicity. Overall, the tones and FX sound pretty good, but it doesn't have quite as much thump as the JM150 and the built in wah is really nasty. This one has 1 preamp tube, with a solid state power amp driving 2 12" Johnson speakers. New this would still probably cost less than the Cybertwin. I believe there is a 1x12" 60w version of this known as the JM60.

For the record, I also use a Johnson J-Station for recording in my home studio. It comes with another completely different set of models and FX. It's not real intuitive to use in less you have the software handy. The tone is pretty good, but it takes a little tweaking to get the out-of-the-box presets sounding good.

If you're debating getting a modeling amp, you really owe it to yourself to check out the Johnson gear!

--B
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 01:28 PM

Reviews: 2
My Rig

bduersch, we have real similar rigs (except I don't have all those awesome guitars). I play a USRG30 into a Johnson Marquis 120. I payed about $500 for it, and the first day I had it, it spent the whole day on an outdoor stage in dust, and heat playing at stage volume for 600-800 people throughout the day as the house guitar amp for a Christian music fest I helped stage-crew for last summer. It kicked hard and loud all day, and sounded better than most of the other amps that were there. The only ones that topped it on tone were a marshall stack (a valvestate with a ton of outborad effects and tone that was amazing) and an ancient fender trem-o-verb (think that's what it was called). The rest (mostly fender stage models) got blown away. It's actually a really good amp, and very versatile. Nice for anything you'd be needing any time soon. And the effects are pretty good. If you like buzz-saw distortion, then hang on to your pedals, cuz this doesn't have it, but the Johnson models have the best tone on it, overall. Whatever you decide, at least give the johnson a fair shake (no pun intended).
*Added* if you want a presence knob (very handy with this) and the extra power(2x12), and stereo effects(stereo pan, leslie), then the JM60 isn't with a damn. Get a 120.

(Edited by Eddie B at 12:31 pm on Dec. 13, 2001)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 01:36 PM

Reviews: 2
My Rig

Hmmm, if you want to hunt a little to go tube, look for a Carvin Valvemaster 2x12. I had one of those, and was stupid for getting rid of it... But it was nothing if not SRV's clean tone, and it was loud as hell, too. Very nice amp... Should kept it, but it was making farting noises, and I live out in the sticks where there are no amp-techs, so... it went. But every time I think of it, I feel very, very stupid. I got that one for $375.I think the heads are the same thing except for an added presence knob for the lead channel. My next gear purchase is going to be the next one I see on evil bay.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 09:41 PM

My Rig

I've played on some Line6 amps, including the Flextone 212. I don't like them very much, because they sound a little artificial to me. They do not compare to Fender Cyber-Twin or Marshall AVT 275.
What about those tube Laneys (combos)? Are they in the same price range as CT or AVT?
[/quote]

Carlos-
I don't care for the modeling stuff either...I even tried the new Vetta, just not my thing. *I have a Laney LC50...great sounding amp, very lively and crisp. *I'vve also played a VC30...nice too. *They both seem to have a bit of Vox-flavored tone.
Greg
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

My Rig

Hey... guess what? I've tried the Cyber-Twin (finally!!) and when I've asked the price, I was shocked! The damn thing has a list price of US$ 2500,00 in Brazil!

Well, I can find a brand new Laney VC50 for half of that! I think the Fender dealers here are a little bit nuts!

Tags
celestion vintage , clean tone , evo bridge , fender roc pro , ibanez jem , johnson millenium , marshall avt , paf pro , power amp , practice amp , preamp tube , solid state power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode