My Triaxis is picking up radio stations, please help! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

My Triaxis is picking up radio stations, please help!

The LD1 red channel on my Triaxis is picking up several radio stations, one of which sounds German.....but anyway, I'm positive that its only the 1 channel that does it. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 02:34 PM

That's so Spinal Tap!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

yea, on the bright side when I'm not playing I can listen to what sounded like a bunch of guys arguing in a laungage I couldn't understand
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 06:32 PM

I get this all the time on my amp, funny as hell, can scare the crap out of you when playing late at night and you suddenly hear these voices from no where.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 07:01 PM

Does it still happen when you unplug your guitar cable from the amp's input?

Some better shielding on your guitar and cables might do the trick.

I used to have this problem on my Dean EVO after i replaced the pickups and most of the guitar's wiring. The problem was that the wires that crossed the guitar's body from the the push/pull pots to the pickup selector switch on the upper bout (like a Les Paul) and back to the volume control essentially acted like a huge antenna. I solved the problem by replacing all the wire with fine-gauge shielded wires, and the guitar is super-quiet now.

I'm also using George L's cables from my guitar to the pedalboard, and from the pedalboard to the amp. I'm using some short Planet Waves cables within my rack, and some nice cheap but heavy-duty DigiFlex cables out to the speakers.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 12:33 AM

One of the earlier bands I was in owned a 100 ft. 24 channel snake. During setup and sound check at one particular gig, we discovered that one of the cables had developed a bad shield connection and was picking up a radio station. We connected the bad cable to an unused channel on the board and had our soundman turn up the radio between songs. We could pick up different stations, depending upon what area of town we were playing.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

My Triaxis is with a technitian now. He's not really shure whats wrong with it either. It is less noisy with the cover takin off, than with it on...very odd. He has been trying to call Mesa, but always gets voicemail. I really hope it can be fixed soon.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 06:17 PM

Try changing out the tubes for lower gain ones. Instead of a 12ax7 try a 5751 or something similar.

Also keep your power cords as far away from the patch cables as possible.

And don't bunch the power cables up and tie them together. Try and keep them separated as much as possible.

Use high quality patch cables, such as Planet Waves, George L's, Mogami, etc.

Try sanding the paint off the rack rails to bare metal. This gives you a better ground.

Lastly Triaxis' are on the noisy side to begin with. There is a lot of hiss especially on Ld 1 Red and the Ld 2 Yellow and Red channels. A high quality lower gain tube will make a huge difference in not only noise, but overall "warmth" as well.

Good luck
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 04:26 AM

Also try replacing a couple of the first preamp tubes, V1 and V2 for instance. Might do the trick, just don't go for the cheap ones.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 09:18 AM

Hey Guy,

These voices from beyond are not German radio stations,

THESE ARE ALIENS CONVERSATIONS !!!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 11:23 AM

I get the same thing with my sansamp PSA-1, its weird cause I hear german voices too. It must be some sort of conflict with the wideband radio or whatever the long range stuff is called. I noticed that I can pick up the station better with more long cables connecting my gear (quite obviously) and that if I leave my wah wah pedal in an open position it also comes in better. Personally I think you should upgrade to the highest quality cables if you haven't already, and also look at other pieces of equipment in your rack (unless you've already isolated the problem to the triaxis).

the other guys here also had good ideas...

Tags
dean evo , les paul , pickup selector switch , planet waves , planet waves cables , preamp tube , sansamp psa , wah pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode