NAD -Pic & Review - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
NAD -Pic & Review!

I wanted one for long time, so when an ENGL Fireball 100 miraculously came up locally on the used market I snagged it for a real nice price.
Lots of gain, lots of compression, lot's of articulation, lot's of lows, lot's of high, lot's of mids, lot's of volume. Everything I want in a metal amp.

A little review;

The Clean channel is full, lively and really just plain gorgeous sounding for a twisted metal beast of an amp. Chimey, warm, bell like, all that bull**** clean tone rhetoric. It's there.

The Lead channel is a dream to play. It has everything. Smooth playability, yet insanely aggressive sounding. Tonnes of midrange, an abundance of cutting highend, and probably the most and thickest sounding lowend I've ever encountered. All never too much or too little. Just a fantastic eq sweep on this amp.

The gain is all usable. Lower it for mid gain crunch, half it for thrash riffing, or even max it for blistering, lava like modern metal from ANY genre. It NEVER gets unruly, messy or bogged down. It just gets warmer, juicer and more evil at every notch increment. It's not sterile like I was afraid it would sound either. It's very warm and natural sounding. Unlike the FB60 I experienced years ago.

Add in the on board adjustable noise gate, and this amp is at the top of the heap. Everything I want in a no nonsense metal machine, with none of the unnecessary stuff I don't want or need. Very tight, very focused and HUGE sounding.

It is compressed, but that's the nature of the beast. It's a modern ultra high gain amp. I like that though. It's really fun to play.
But the saturated gain and compression dries up when the gain is backed off and more picking dynamics can be had that way if you want it. Although I can lightly pick with a high gain setting and get this really cool soft edgy gain sound that sounds wicked.

As you turn this amp up is has more mids right across the spectrum. High mids, mid mids & low mids. Paired with a quad of V30's and the mid shift button engaged, look out.

Compared to my other amps, it has more low end for sure, and has very tight gain. The JSX's gain is the only amp that comes close to the level of gain, articulation and tightness.
The FB has a certain growl when you riff power chords and open chug that other amps just don't have. It really does sound evil. It's a real winner for me because it does things my other amps don't do and it can't do things that my other amps can.
Plus, I hate pedals and all I need with this amp is a tuner, Which I've been leaving out of the chain anyways and plugging in seperately when necessary. The built in gate is really nice. Not just a noise/hum reducer like the JSX. It has actual feedback and noise gating capability.
It's just plug in and hold on tight.

I'm playing it through a mix of V30's and V12 Legends along with some WGS Retro and Veteran 30's. All sounding great.
Mainly, the amp seems to like my oversized Krank 4x12 w/ V30's. That cab handles the crazy lowend really well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07723resize.jpg (21.7 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 AM

Reviews: 11
Re: NAD -Pic & Review

Very awesome dude! Very awesome indeed!

How do the cleans work out having only one set of EQ? As a death metal player, I use lots of mids and lows, and not a ton of treble. If I had it set to, say, 6 lows, 7 mids and 3 or 4 highs, how would the clean sound set the same?

Last edited by D.M.RG7620; 10-12-2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Typo. Smart phones are morons.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

I'm running similar settings as you mentioned and the cleans sound great. There is also a bright button on the clean channel that I have engaged which not just adds brightness, but also makes the cleans stand out a bit more. Not sure if its increased mids too or what, but the button goes from smooth to bolder cleans. The clean channel also has a gain dial which can add some edge or or reduce it make the sound more pristine.
Overall, I've found the clean channel never really gets harsh, thin, muddy or stale with any eq setting. They did a great job with the eq sweep and levels on this amp.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:32 PM

Reviews: 11

Thanks for the info dude! Now I just have to find a place to test one of these.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:08 PM

Reviews: 2

sounds badass! enjoy !
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: NAD -Pic & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
Thanks for the info dude! Now I just have to find a place to test one of these.
No prob. Good luck, I bet they are just as hard to find here in Canada as they are in the U.S.
There is a local ENGL dealer in my city, but I got this amp off a guy who had bought it there about 8 months ago.
I paid him just about half of what he paid new for it though. I'm an amazing negotiator LoL!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 PM

beautiful amp purchase VN. Congrats man!

Tags
engl fireball

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode