Neck /fret dressing? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Neck /fret dressing?

My fretboard feels kinda ....dryish sorta,especially on vibrato & smooth bends ....Ive heard teak oil can be used & lemon oil cant ... doesnt Dunlop make some good fretboard polish? and will it make it more smoother or glassy like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:13 PM

Re: Neck /fret dressing?

There are a few companies that make fretboard wipes. I've actually used fast fret on my rosewood boards and it seemed to last longer then lemon oil. might want to work over your frets with some 0000 grade steel wool while your at it... really shines them up.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

well,the wood itself feels like it needs it too. i used the 0000 but didnt seem to make much difference
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:48 PM

I wouldn't use teak oil on the fretboard..that stuff is a finishing oil for bodies and the back of necks. I think lots of guys go with lem-oil or something similar.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I wouldn't use teak oil on the fretboard..that stuff is a finishing oil for bodies and the back of necks. I think lots of guys go with lem-oil or something similar.
Ok, cool, Thanx~
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Is it a maple, or rosewood board?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Is it a maple, or rosewood board?
Rosewood i believe ....darker wood
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 AM

fine machine oil is also pretty good for rosewood boards. I try it out once as a suggestion from a luthier and I believe it's the best thing that I've used so far. Don't over do it though, apply, if the wood absorbs the oil imediately apply a second coat.

Good luck,
Nelson
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Machine oil huh? any chance youd have a brand name or a suggestion who carries it so I know where to start. Ive also heard of people using a light mist of wd40 believe it or not which im sure isnt good for it long term ....and thats what we want is long term
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

I dont have a problem with my frets, its the Inbetween ......the wood itself just dont feel as smooth as I want it to feel. hard to describe kinda ....almost as if it has a texture to it & sometimes i can almost feel it if im doing real slow bends kinda. ...its almost like theres micro sized grooves or rough areas of teh fretboard ......yet ive been over & inbetween every fret with fine wool so that upon rubbing it with your fingers on the bare wood,it feels smooth .....yet .....put a string on it & some pressure & theres SOME kind of texture to the wood that needs either a treatment,or a polish to really smooth it out, or something. Not looking to "clean" the fretboard .....cuz ive done that when i first got the guitar ....just looking for a glassy smooothness to the wood so that on slow bends,theres no noticable texture to the wood.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:06 PM

By a Cort or Fender with the plastic fretboard.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

o k a y
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

For rosewood, I like the Dunlop oil. Cleans great and looks even better.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

But how does it do for "feel" on the fretboard? I have machine oil,just havent used it yet.Just happen to have some after an earlier post I read.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 PM

Reviews: 34

I use lemon oil for rosewood and ebony and it works fine and can improve the feel.

If it is really dry it is more a question of rehydration over a longer period rather a quick wipe over.

I'd give it a light rub down with fine grade steel wool then apply some oil, wipe off excess and repeat. Do this every time you change strings (once a month maybe?) and after a while you will notice the difference and you can do it less frequently.

If the fretboard is good I would just apply the oil with a cloth and use it as a cleaner, then wipe of an let it soak in before stringing.

Tags
oil finish , polish dressing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode