NED: MXR KFK EQ - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 59
NED: MXR KFK EQ

So I got myself a new gadget yesterday, the MXR KFK 10 band equalizer. It's great for adjusting your tone obviously but it also makes a bit of noise when it's active. Since my distortion and wah also makes some unwanted noise I came to the conclusion that I need a noise suppressor.
I read good things about both the MXR Smart Gate and the Boss NS-2. I can get the Boss for half the price of the MXR pedal so my question is if the Boss is good enough or not. Also - where in the chain would it make sence to put it?
My chain as of today is: Guitar -> Tuner -> EQ -> Wah -> Distortion -> OD -> Micro POG - > Volume -> Reverb -> Delay -> Amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:27 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: NED: MXR KFK EQ

the way you put it in the signal chain, it shapes pickup response rather tan distortion. Also, any noise made by the EQ will be amplified be the dist. Did you try it after the dist? I'm using the MXR 6 band after dist and it's very quiet
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

No, I haven't tried that. I was told to put it in front since I don't have a compressor. But I will give it a go. Thanks!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 AM

Reviews: 120

The MXR Smart Gate is a fantastic pedal. I've reviewed it here in the review section, as well as on my blog. I'd spend the extra to get the MXR unit.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I read that - good review, btw - but I've also read good things about the Boss NS2 which is half the price. I'll try to move the EQ and see if that helps first before deciding on the noise filter.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 05:47 AM

it doesn't have anything to do with compressor I think.
You can either use it before or after but it sounds very different, I prefer it after the dist. Don't just try to move it up the signal chain, you'll probably have to tweak the sliders.
Cheers
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 06:20 AM

I would also recommend placing any type of eq device after a distortion unit.

Regards,
Nelson
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Good advises guys. Thanks again
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

I tried putting the EQ behind the distortion at rehearsals yesterday and voila - all worked perfectly.
I must say the EQ is a great tool. As the Satchurator has only one tone knob you can really nail your tone with the EQ. I got a really great fat sound with a bit more gain and volume and used it as a solo boost for a few songs and that was also very successful.
Thanks for your good advice, guys
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 05:13 AM

Glad it worked out for you man. I started using EQ just a few months ago and it became a single pedal I couldn't live without
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:51 AM

I have the regular version of the (MXR 10 band), which is pretty much the exact same thing with only one input. I have mine in the FX loop on my mesa and couldnt be happier. Not sure if you have a loop or not, but if you do give it a shot.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

No I don't have a loop, but I guess that is just a matter of time before I set up. As I understand that improves your overall sound if set up correctly?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 11:29 AM

If you run the dist into a clean amp you don't need a loop. The whole idea of FX loop is to allow certain effects (delay, reverb, EQ) to be placed in the signal chain after stages that produce distortion (od/dist pedals and preamp section of the amp).
If amp is overdriven on it's own it's generally a good idea to have a loop.
Cheers
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 PM

Reviews: 39

+1 on hellboars comment. EQ in the loop is where it will be most effective at tone shaping.

Having amps with just tone pots that control general frequency response over a spectrum gives you broad control, but with the EQ in the loop that gives you precise control over specific frequencies lets you hone in on tone. My mesa would never sound the same without my EQ.

bancika is correct as well though. I ran a satchurator through the clean channel of my Mesa, and it was "heavier" than my normal lead (granted my EQ was on). Still, a properly overdriven clean is just as effective side by side to a gained out lead. Take Opeth for example: they use the clean channel of their Laney amps ALL the time and just use Boss multi-effects for ALL their distortions. Sounds awesome as hell. Tone = Tone. Period. Technology has come a long way in the last 5 years.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Good points.

I only use the clean channel on my amp (the od/distorted channels doesn't go heavier than crunch) but I'll test out the sound with and without an FX loop and hear if I can make any difference out of it.
Another thing regarding the FX loop is that my delay is the VOX Time Machine. I read in another thread that this pedal didn't work well in an FX loop. Is that just down to setting the level correct or is it not a good pedal for a loop?

Tags
boss ns-2 , effect pedals , mxr eq , mxr smart noise , noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode