Need advice, good apartment amp options - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Need advice, good apartment amp options

Title says all.

Getting back into the guitar thing again. If you've seen my thread in the other Ibanez guitars area I'm really gassing for an RG3 or a 920 premium with the maple board.

Basically starting over from scratch again as I had to sell all of my stuff from before. I'm in an apartment right now so I'm going to need a small but decent sounding amp. A tube driven one would be my first choice but I'm not opposed to something solid state either. Maybe I should consider getting one of these PC based products instead and going that route. I'm amazed at some of the amp modeling they can do now through software and generic midi driven pedal boards you customize with it.

I've always just played for fun for myself as a relaxing hobby. Never intended to record or go gig with this stuff. I might be inclined to start recording though at some point for my own amusement and the amp/pedal modeling does intrigue me. With limited space that could be a big plus.

I think a small amp would be the better bet though. There might be a time or two I'm going to want to take it with me somewhere. I'd like to ask the hive what you all think are some good small apartment sized options. I know some have the ability to run full bore but have a power sponge or something similar to keep the noise at a respectable level. I have very limited space as well so anything halfstacked size it out of the question. I was looking at the Marshall Class 5 as a initial contender. It seems to fit into the criteria that I'm looking for. Anything else in that caliber and price scale I should research.

A decent small amp, maybe some modeling software and my laptop could be a great apartment or on the go setup. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any reponse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Need advice, good apartment amp options

Blackstar HT-5, Awesome tones at low and high volumes, you can use headphones if necessary, has an effects loop, clean and dirty channels, loud enough to jam with in most cases.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:36 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Blackstar HT-5
This is excaly what i was going to suggest! They're a great little amp.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywills View Post

I've always just played for fun for myself as a relaxing hobby. Never intended to record or go gig with this stuff. I might be inclined to start recording though at some point for my own amusement and the amp/pedal modeling does intrigue me. With limited space that could be a big plus.

I think a small amp would be the better bet though.

How much are we talking about?
I mean,
I could sugest you
- Blackstar Ht-5 like others are doing if you want to stay cheap...
- Mesa mini rectifier if your not a cheap bastard hehehehe

Anyway... a 1x12 cab with V30s always gonna keep your volume low.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:36 AM

Have you heard yamaha thr? I haven't demo'd it but looks nice...

If you have a laptop then software isn't a bad idea, doesn't react like the real thing but ton's of tone options are there free or payware+ you can enjoy listening music with the speakers.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll take a look at that blackstar. I'd like to keep the budget around 500 probably. I'm already wanting to buy both guitars but I just can't swing that much and an amp and all the other bits you got to get with this type of stuff.

I literally am starting over from scratch.

I'd really like a tube driven one if possible as I've never had one and this go around I'm wanting to get things I've never had before.

I've seen some of the Class 5 amps go second hand for a fair bit less than 500. I also saw there were some neat mods you can do with it so thats why I'm intrigued by it. Small, simple but just a good classic Marshall tone to start out with again. I just thought I'd ask for some alternatives that are similar. Pedals or the modelling route can easily be obtained later to experiement with.

Just got to get the basics again.

Thanks for the replies so far.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 02:27 PM

If you have an iPhone, I've been jamming on the couch with iRig ($40) and the various free amp sims in the market. Just mentioning it since you brought up pc programs. Anyway, it doesn't replace a tube amp but in my case has replaced all the little waste of space, dust collecting 5w practice amps.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM

Orange Dark Terror seems like a good option as well
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:37 PM

Honestly, I love my little $100 Mustang 1. For a little solid state modeling amp, the tones are usable, especially if you tweak the presets with the FUSE software.

I can record into Logic with it too.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. The Blackstar HT looks like it also falls into the criteria I'm looking for. The price is around the same as the Class 5 and its tube driven too. So I'm definately see if any of the local shops have one and go check it out. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Maybe I'll get lucky and I can be able to compare em side by side somewhere.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 PM

Reviews: 12

The HT-5C I had was a pain I couldnt get it quiet enough at home or loud enough for a gig.
I found my vk212 which is 100 watt far more useable at quiet volumes, granted it sounds better at louder volumes.

The HT-5RH may be better as you could add more cabs or bigger cabs later, they arent a true valve amp though they predominantly use diode clipping for the overdrive, and the clean breaks up really easily. I also found boosting it didnt really add much to the amp...

Try one out at the volumes you will be playing at and see if you like it they are pretty much everywhere so you can find one to try easily enough..

Dont discount the mustangs for being digital...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:57 PM

peavey vypyr!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzuk View Post
The HT-5C I had was a pain I couldnt get it quiet enough at home or loud enough for a gig.
I found my vk212 which is 100 watt far more useable at quiet volumes, granted it sounds better at louder volumes.

The HT-5RH may be better as you could add more cabs or bigger cabs later, they arent a true valve amp though they predominantly use diode clipping for the overdrive, and the clean breaks up really easily. I also found boosting it didnt really add much to the amp...

Try one out at the volumes you will be playing at and see if you like it they are pretty much everywhere so you can find one to try easily enough..

Dont discount the mustangs for being digital...
I cannot imagine a more incorrect assessment. I use a HT-5 head at home at low volumes, and on stage. Great tones either way.

And it has been shown that valves do the majority of the clipping in the HT-5. The fact that there are diodes in the path is really meaningless, as many valve amps use some diodes in the signal path
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Reviews: 12

Im sure my valveking has diodes The HT's and stage series sound fizzy, I have always thought the HT-5 head sounded better, but how can the tubes do most of the clipping when it's one ECC83 and one 12BH7, Im keen to find out exactly how true valve they are.

While it is my opinion they sound fizzy Im not alone there and the majority of HT clips ive heard and when I have played them or when I owned the 5c it always feel short next to my valveking perhaps runnign the HT-5RH or whatever model head intoa 212 be a fairer comparison I doubt that would eliminate the fizz that is always present on the overdrive channel.

The newer combos have a 12 inch speaker which probably sounds better allthough I thought the models with the 8 inch speaker were ok.

Thats just my experience, they use a lot of marketing and are vauge about how their amps actually run...

Even the offical Blackstar rep always has a fizzy tone in the demos granted its less when you have the isf more on the marshall side of things the head sounds better as running a 212 or 412 probably works the poweramp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78eGs...feature=fvwrel

Even that ola clip which sounds good still ahs some fizz on the overdrive...so I dont think it's jsut been the amps i've played, im not saying they are terrible they make many guys happy at home where volume is an issue, they still have some fizz/buzz and in my experience boosting seemed to make little difference when I tried the bad monkey on three different amps it sounded brilliant for a more pushed sound.

They are still good amps if you try one of the higher wattage Ht's you will hear the fizz more easily as the poweramp needs more volume...

I quite liked the early ozzy or early 80's tones I could get but it fell flat when compared to amps I know are running on full valve pre's.

The HT-5c combo was not quite enough for a gig with another gutiarist and bassist and fairly loud drummer it worked fine in a quieter practice environment, the HT5CR has abigger speaker which would help, but the heads a better choice as you cna connect to different and better cabinets...

Im not syaing it's the worst amp around, the engl screamers sound much fizzier and lifeless and are 700 plus here but the Ht's still have some fizz to them which works for some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGwoj...hannel&list=UL

You can hear that fizz im talking about really clearly about 1:40 in im not saying it's terrible but may not be for everyone, it's not like I havent had time with these amps I oned and gigged practised with the Ht-5 combo a lot enough to know what it sounds like and I couldnt get rid of that fizz...

It works for that hair metal tone but not so great for anything heavier imo...though it seems to work well for djent...

But I did fidn the combo not quite loud enough for small gigs and too loud for home use thats just my experience the fizz is more of a preference/my hearing /etcs but it is there...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Well that last video is mine.

The fizz in the video I think is more attributed to my recording setup. I've always found at the settings I use (and with the preamp valve change) that the HT-5 is nice and chunky. If the gain goes above 12 o'clock it gets a little fizzy, but I always keep it at 12 and it's nice and heavy and chunky. I've tried a few ODs and boosts, and been able to keep everything heavy and chunky.

Again, I use mine live with a 1-12" v30 setup and it all sounds fantastic at high volume.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode