Need advice on use of Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor I just got - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Need advice on use of Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor I just got

Ok, the Boss NS-2 has an in, out, send, and return. The send and return are NOT a switchable effects loop as one might think. So please only answer this if you are familiar with the way the NS-2 works! Here is my chain:

Jem -> Boss Octave -> Boss Phaser -> ADA MP-1 Input -> BBE 482 -> Boss Delay -> Boss Reverb -> Boss EQ -> Amp -> Speakers.

I have the Octaver and Phaser before the preamp because they sound best like that, before distortion, so I can't move their location. Nothing is connected into the ADA's effects loop, as I was advised post-preamp effects work best connected in series like I have it. Boss's instruction manual says one way is to put the effects in line with send/return, guitar into it's input, and output to the amp ( in this case the ADA ). It seems to me that doing this would just cut back on noise *I* produce, like when I let go of the strings, it gates off the noise. I could also only put the Octaver and Phaser in the send/return loop, since I do not want the other effects before the preamp stage. Won't this do nothing for the ADA's nasty hiss? Wouldn't it also do nothing for noise made by EVERYTHING ELSE after the ADA? Am I missing something here? Do I have to plug the Jem DIRECTLY into the NS-2? I hope it can use line level and not just instrument.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 04:06 PM

Reviews: 1
You want to limit the hiss of the ADA so, run the NS through the fx loop of the ada and leave the loop always on. if you ran the NS-2 to the output, you would CONSTANTLY be adjusting its' threshold.

Bamm
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

That sounds like a good idea, but I *think* the ADA's loop is a parallel loop, not series. If this is the case would your idea still work?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 04:14 PM

When the loop jack is engaged, it is in series.
to test, plug a cable into the send jack and let it hang but nothing into return, enable the fx loop, you should hear nothing.

I had some bad cables in my loop which is why I know its serial.

Bamm
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Ok I'll try that config then. What is the effects loop level control for then btw? Seems kind of redundant. I would understand its purpose if it was parallel.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 04:42 PM

On the ADA?
Its the level control that tells how hot a signal to push through the loop.

Bamm
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok I tried your idea Bam and it worked fine but I tried another thing that I liked more. :P Here is what I settled with:

Guitar > NS-2 INPUT

NS-2 OUTPUT > BOSS GE-7 > BOSS DD-3 > BOSS RV-3 > BBE 482 > Amp

NS-2 SEND > BOSS OC-2 > BOSS PH3 > ADA INPUT

ADA OUPUT > NS-2 RECEIVE

LOL! Crazy wiring because of all the looping I can't make one straight line of signal. Anyways, I'd say I get about .05% total tone coloration with this setup ( so inaudible I have to sit there with ear on speaker cab listening for a change in sound as I strum chords and bend notes turning the NS-2 on and off ). ADA hiss is gone, and the gate works AWESOME. It does a good job figuring out when I am playing and letting all the sound through and I can even sustain notes with no problems. When I do tight, rhythmic stuff, the gate activates IMMEDIATELY and kills all sound when I let go of the chord. Awesome! So what do you think of that nightmare wiring job? LOL!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 06:27 PM

Rack it all up !

Bamm
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 10:57 PM

Sounds cool, I'm amazed that a pedal can do that much so well. Congrats! It's kinda funny, I was always told Boss pedals are noisy, so the idea of a Boss Noise Suppressor is kinda funny.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I think the real key is how you hook it up. BOSS seems to REALLY want your guitar to go straight into it, so it gets the best sense of what is SUPPOSED to be audible, and what is noise.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 09:47 AM

Seems you got it kinda figured out here, but I'll toss in a few cents anyhow...

The NS-2 is pretty much designed to kill feedback and/or little bits of noise you make when you don't want ANY signal to be amplified.

Sure, you can use it to get rid of preamp hiss, but in doing so you severely limit its effectiveness.

When used properly (as in, plug yer guitar into the NS-2, then plug the output into your first effect, amp, or whatever) it gives you ZERO tone coloration. I was floored when I first tried it, and there's no way I'll ever play without one again. The guitar sounds EXACTLY the same with the pedal in or out of the loop, or connected/disconnected from the entire rig. The only difference? No clunks between songs. No feedback when you stop dead on a big fatty palm-muted chord while standing right next to yer amp...

To get rid of your amp hiss, you really should look into a Hush unit. Admittedly, some of the older ones suck big time, but the new ones (such as the one in my Intellifex or the Super C) don't color your tone and quiet the noise floor to an undetectible level. The MP1 doesn't make nearly the amount of noise as my 5150 II, so you should have no trouble getting clear, unaltered tone out of one.

At this point, the only noise I'm getting out of my rig is a low DC hum from the stinkin' BBE... (if you know how to fix it, short of tryin' a whole new BBE, please find the other thread I'm about to start...)

Hope some of that was useful.

ryan
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Interesting, thanks! The SuperC got bad reviews on Harmony Central for a number of reasons. Maybe I'll "rent" one from Guitar Center.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 12:40 PM

Re: Need advice on use of Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor I just got

Good thread, so I'm bumping it with a question. I have a bad monkey overdrive. Where should this go in relation to the NS-2. Thanks.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:09 PM

I am also finding my NS-2 is creating a hum. Whats up with that.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:27 PM

bumping an old thread but what kind of settings are people using on this. i picked one up but it seems to cut back on some of my gain (running guitar > NS 2 > delay > amp) and pinch harmonics. im sure its all in the settings tho.

Tags
boss pedal , boss pedals , dual rectifier , noise suppressor , pinch harmonics , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode