Need good amp head! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Need good amp head!

Hey everyone! Im looking for a good quality valve amp head. Needs to be quite cheap, ive been looking at the Bugera 333 and 6260 models, any good? *Doesnt need to be a valve one,, just one that sounds good

Last edited by BurningAlive409; 02-17-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Missed a bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:47 PM

Reviews: 22
Re: Need good amp head!

The Bugeras are pretty cool on a budget. Out of the box the 62-- sound competent and alot better than a b-52, but some of the guys around here that work at huge retail chains have bought them really cheap and modded them quite a bit. (tubes,bias,hardware,grilles)
and they are really pleased with the results. The stock 62-- can get a decent rock crunch and it has fairly good cleans, but i like the 333 better, i was told that the 62-- is a 5150,6505 clone and the 333 was a triple recto copy, but i really don't think they are the same animal.
A few people coming through the local stores have really ragged on the hardware and build quality of the early units (both the 6260 and the 333), but for the coin you can't be expecting perfection.

I'm gonna have mike bring his 6260 combo over since you mentioned it.

So give me an example of what you'd be playing and i'll give you a really honest opinion shortly.

And i am deff not the biggest line6 fan, but the spidervalve is really sweet for the price.
Stay away from the valveking and windsor heads though unless you crave sterility and not in your loins.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:55 PM

since you just edited the valve part out.......

I'll throw the Randall v2,the peavey 5150 II, or a used fender prosonic head.

you can usually find a used randall bmf "plexi" if you ask around enough for around $400-500.

all in what suits your preferences.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Id be playing abit of everything but mainly rock and metal with my new rgt2dx
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:13 PM

ok, since you'd be looking for something versatile for the cheap

I'd go with the bugera 333xl (with the noise gate)
or a used 5150 II head

Nothing can really touch those for less than 600 bucks.

the peavey 5150s are dead reliable for a tube amp and pack a wallop, plus there is a ton of online support,mods, and it will never totally lose it's value.

if you went with something new like the bugera, i'd break it in properly,(trying it a ton at the store beforehand) make sure to get as much of a warranty as possible and hand on to the receipts and such to be on the safe side.

i don't know if you have seen the incredible prices on the xxx peaveys these days both new and used examples but thats a killer head.

aaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnd the new peavey 3120 is the nastiest amp for under a grand,
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, i think ill probably go with the bugera just because ive seen it for about half the price of the peavey, but thanks guys

Tags
amp , cabinet , rgt , valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode