Need help on choosing an amp... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Need help on choosing an amp...

Well, i have been looking all over the net for quite some time and am quite confused on what to get. My budget is 1000$ for an amp, a guitar and i wld like to have some money left over for a few pedals (but it ain't totally necessary). I have decided on the RG7321, but am confused about which amp to get. I know i won't be able to get much for the amount i am allowed to spend, but this amp will just be for practicing at home, untill i can afford something better. I would prefer it to be all tube. The sorta music i play is basically tech. DM, black metal, metalcore, and grind. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 03:46 PM

Re: Need help on choosing an amp...

1000 for amp guitar and money left over. you must want a 2x12 combo, get a carvin mts id say.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Those Carvins sure are nice, but the MTS 2x12 is 700$ and that wld be a bit much considering the RG7321 is around 350$. I was looking at V-Series amps, and they seem to be pretty nice, specially the V3112. It's got decent reviews too, but i have heard a lotta bad things about Crate in the past. What do you guys think o' them?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:25 PM

crate is eh alright, but since you said carvin was nice get a sx series solid state combo since you wont be able to afford the tube
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:25 PM

you can get a used carvin x100b head off e*ay for around 300 ish.. i dont know how good it would be with a 7 string.. its the amp vai used in the early days(zappa)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Gex

If your looking for a really greasy dirty heavy metal tone, I'd look for a used Peavey 5150. Make sure you get the 5150 cab with it, it sounds the best on that cab, Marshall cabs sound thin with it.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 11:12 PM

I know you said you want all-tube, but do check out some of the Line 6 stuff. Mainly because it would take care of your amp/pedals thing in one swoop and give you lots to play with. It is also a good way to get a large variety of sounds. You can always "upgrade" to all-tube later, if needed.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies! Crate i am trying to avoid as much as possible, but if i have no other choice left i might have go for one of them. The Carvin X100B seems to be really good, and so does the 5150 (but it's kinda expensive for me). I really don't want a Line 6, i have a PODxt Pro, which i'm selling off tomorrow to this guy, and altough it;s great, its jst a bit too "fake", and plus the distortions on it arn't that great. I have been looking at Peavey Ultras on the 'bay, and they seem to be really good for the price. I read a few reviews on HC, and they all say it's a high-gain head, which is exactly what i'm looking for. Can anybody fill me in about these a bit more?

Thanks!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 07:37 PM

Carvins are good buys in the price range. I would support that.

In fact, I have seen a Carvin half stack at a local music store sell for $550. That leaves $450 for a guitar.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Gex

I dunno about the X-100B

Its a fine amp, but its not really suited well for the type of music you want to play.

Line6? Nope, sorry. Someday you'll buy a real amp and understand what the rest of us are talking about.

The 5150? You can get these for relatively cheap used dude, if you look in the right places at the right time. There are LOADS of these out there on the market, and Peavey's pumping out the new 6505's so there will be no shortage of that amp. (the 6505 is the exact same amp as the 5150, just a diffent name because EVH owns the rights to the name "5150". He quit his endorsment, and Peavey couldn't just drop such an important amp in the metal scene.

If you wanna hear what a 5150 sounds like, go listen to some of "The Haunted"

Those Ultras are GREAT amps, and for pennies. They are the fathers of the XXX, George Lynch took the Ultra and tweaked some stuff and they were going to make it his signature amp but he backed out of the deal, so they called it the XXX and made it anyway. (George Lynch uses Marshall Plexis, He loves them, and always goes back to the plexis)
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 10:50 PM

I thought Geroge was using a Bogner Uberschall??
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Gex

He does.

He goes though Marshalls, Bogners, Soldanos, Randalls, Engls, Laneys, anything with overdrive basically, he always floated around and experimented plenty, but the plexi was always a staple of his in the studio.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for helping me out. I have decided to get any cheap solid state amp for now, so that i can save up and buy something good later.

peace.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

I just need a little bit of advice to make my final decision. I have narrowed it down to 2 amps - the Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60R, and the Tech 21 Trademark 30 (Trademark 60 would be out of my budget). The reviews i have read of both haven't been too helpful, so just wanted to hear your comments on them, and which one you would choose from the two.

Thanks a lot!!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 03:40 PM

don't mean to get off track here but have you looked at the roland cube series? There 60 watt version is like 350$, and has a ton of effects and modeling built in.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/det...60&PageMode=15

Here are some clips and a couple of videos.

And if you are worrying about it being loud enough, my guitar tech just gigged a bar with the battery powered version (with a mic of course).

Tags
bogner uberschall , death metal , guitar tech , heavy metal , keeley mod , local music store , marshall cabs , music store , peavey amp , peavey ultra , peavey valveking , roland cube , scooped mids , solid state amp , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode