Need help choosing a practice amp! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Need help choosing a practice amp!

I am fancying a all tube bedroom practice amp and I don't know much about amp.

At the moment I am using a pod xt live through my home cinema amp and some huge Mission speakers. I am building up a collection of pedals so I am thinking about moving on to a simple amp setup.

I use a Jem and an RG to play mostly,

Vai
Satch
Gilbert
Red hot chili peppers
Metallica
(BTW i'm not good just learning)

I don't want to spend over £400 new really and I don't mind second hand, i've even considered a kit to put together for a bit more interest.

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times already, if there is any threads that you think that will answer my question you can point them out as well.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 05:30 PM

Re: Need help choosing a practice amp!

1- if u plan to use a podxt, you might as well not get a tube amp (for practicing)
2- your setup now sounds efficient
3- hard to find a tube amp that sounds good for practice volume
4- even harder to find a tube amp that sounds good for high gain stuff at a low volume

i would recommend you get a small modeling amp like a vox da30 or a roland cube 30x... if you area really stuck on cube the most i would get is a peavey valveking 112.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 05:55 PM

Roland Cube or Valve Junior

/thread
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:28 PM

Laney LC15R for about 200 quid new...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

I narrowing the search the LC15R gets good things said about it. What about a VC15 or VC30. I prefer the tones on the laney website and they look cool too.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Banned

OMG OMG OMG
400bucks: bandit 112... masive power, excellent tone. my favourite amp ever. u can look around on the other threads, i practically whore it
Very ausome, and i play a TON of metallica and i love it... ya so 400 quid is alot more than 400 dollars, excellent clean, blues and great at metallica just scoop mids boost high and lows, great at heavy nu metal and vintage sound like for strats and stuff... but if you were smart you would do what i did. buy an rg370dx and drop emg 81s and a dimarzio and buy that amp lol jkjk
well actually dual 81s in this amp is fenominal sound.... i love it sooo much... its even good for gigs. i dont consider it a practice amp but it is labeled by peavey as one. great tone at very low volume and at high vol. i dont even go past 4 live... (though i have only played live for a few friends lol) but wit drummer and a bassist with concert size speaker that u have to put on a dolley to get outa the room, and a guitarist with a full on p.a. system, this thing can dish out the Noise/notes... really great amp, i got my ibanez wit everthing in it and this amp for like 1,100dollars... and together its a breathtaking combo... really bandit just smashes the comp, and is better n a good amount of expensive as hell mesa boogies.
i today played a 4x12 mesa boogie half back, not sure wat head it had on it, and the bandit sounded better, and that thing was like 1200bucks...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 02:55 PM

I swear by my Tech-21 Trademark 30. The "Brit" channel, in particular, sounds ungodly, and I'm not even much of a Marshall fan.

I've got a demo up on my Myspace page I cut with it - http://www.myspace.com/drewpeterson7 - it should auto-play.

I mean, I'm not exactly about to sell my Mesas just yet, but for a 15-pound practice amp with a 10" speaker, it's jaw-dropping just how good it sounds.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:11 PM

why was active 80's banned?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:11 PM

Giving bad amp advice.

(that was a joke - as you remember, forum rules are we don't really talk about that stuff)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:30 PM

oh, sorry, forgot.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Don't know if I've done the right thing but after the responses on here and from what my mates previous experiences have been like I've ordered a Laney VC15-110. I think the VC30 may be too loud.

I'll let you now what its like.

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by Mission1979; 07-31-2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: speelllingg misstakeess

Tags
mesa boogie , peavey valveking , practice amp , roland cube , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode