Need help...clueless - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Need help...clueless

Hey guys. I'm just looking to put together a small pa system for my band room. I really don't know what I need. Do you think this is a good start?

mixer
http://www.***************.com/srs7/.../base_id/88618

amp
http://www.***************.com/srs7/...base_id/134957

cab
http://www.***************.com/srs7/...base_id/106711

Sorry. I'm so used to just plugging my guitar into an amp. I really lost..but are these the main things I will need, or am I way off? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Re: Need help...clueless

Oops...forgot about the links. Anyway, it's a 300watt bridged power amp a small mixer and a 15 inch cab rated at 500 watts max. I've looked for other forums for this topic but they are hard to find. I've got mics and 1/4'' cables..is this all I need?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:52 PM

i dont know what your talking about (just plugging your guitar in, part) if the mixer is only for vocals then just get a keyboard amp with a xlr input and i think there might be mic amps out there.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I don't really know what to do. I wanted something that I could line my podxt directly into AND add vocals or whatever I need. That's what the mixer was for, for adding different sounds and for EQing. Thanks for the advice though. I'm totally new to this...so don't laugh too hard at my stupidity.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:11 PM

I think i can help you, but i need you to rephrase your question. Also try to find pics of the gear on google or somethin.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 03:52 AM

Ok i'll give this a shot anyway...

You have a mixer, PA, and an amp correct?
Also, you have 1/4'' cables and mics.
Now, are these 1/4" cables guitar cables? I'll assume they are. And i'll also assume you have xlr cables for your mic(s)
Now, one key item you're missing is a speaker cable. It sort of looks like a 1/4" guitar cable, but is significantly different. The speaker cable goes from your power amp, to your PA. A guitar cable will not work well for this at all, so do not even attempt it. GET THE SPEAKER CABLE. Top priority if you do not have it.

Now, I will assume that you plan on mic'n up your guitar amp and run it though the PA. The way that would be set up is guitar-->effects---->amp (Or however you usually set up your amp in your bedroom or practice time) then the mic infront of the amps speaker, plugged into the mic cable which has an xlr end on it, the xlr end plugs into whichever channel you wish to use, then the mixing board gets plugged into the poweramps input. The poweramps output, as I said before, goes into the PA speaker, using a SPEAKER CABLE (Sorry, I just cannot stress this enough)

And that would be your basic setup for the guitar. The same general practice would apply to mic'n a drum set or bass or whatever aswell. Make sure to find a good distance between the amp and the mic, sort of find its "sweet spot"

Now, you mentioned a pod in the mix somewhere. You can either run that between your guitar and amp, or in the amps effects loop OR you can run straight from the guitar---> pod--->mixer--->power amp---> PA

You can experiment between the two options I provided to find what you feel sounds best, Or you can just go guitar---->mixer--->poweamp--->PA, but then that leaves no effects or eq except for the mixers eq.

One last word of advice would be, if you are going to experiment between the setups I showed, do them on different channels on the mixer, so that you do not lose previous mixer settings.

Keep in mind that I provided all this information without knowing where those links go to. So let me know if AMP doesn't equal GUITAR AMP or somethin.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Ahh...yes..thanks for the help. I didn't know about the speaker cables. Yes the amp is a power amp. I was planning on splitting the signal to my guitar amp and the mixer so that I don't have to run my guitar amp as loud. Also I can run vocals or keyboards etc. through the mixer. So mostly what I need is speaker cables and I should be fine?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 07:29 AM

speaker cables are the only things left that you need to make it all work. So yeah, get those and you're golden.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Awesome. Thanks for the info Koss. You're a life saver.

Tags
power amp , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode