Need help coming up with a very portable rig - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Need help coming up with a very portable rig

So, as some of you probably know, I'm a student at Berklee in Boston. I'm using a Boogie Lonestar 1x12, which is the same size as their 2x12, and it weighs 72 lbs. I just got a custom case built by Brady Burton (AMAZING customer service...he'll literally build you any case you want. Bradycases.com), and it's also a honker. I absolutely love my tone, but I'm beginning to think it's not worth it because of the size and weight. Any gig I might have (I'm a freshman, so I don't know) will be a real pain, because I'll have to fit the amp into the back of a taxi, or if it's close, roll my amp there. If I'm not doing gigs, I can't use it in my room because it's too loud and they tend to be a little finicky about you playing in the rooms anyway. I don't want to sell the amp because it just sounds too great, but I would like to put together a more portable rig.
I play fusion and modern jazz, like Wayne Krantz, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Shawn Lane...etc. I'm a big funk guy, so I need a great clean preferably with a Scofield/Charlie Hunter-like break up. And that's the problem...you can only get that with a tube amp. In terms of overdrive, I like a thick, syrupy, smooth lead tone, but too high gain. Similar to Eric Johnson's and Shawn Lane's.
I'm thinking of sacrificing the clean break up and going with a solid state amp because it would be much lighter and I could get more volume out of a smaller amp. For overdrive I'll use a tube pedal, because you really can't get a good lead tone without tubes.
So the reason I'm writing this post is to get suggestions on amps and pedals. Fire away!
Smitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 03:19 PM

Re: Need help coming up with a very portable rig

72lbs is insane for a 1x12, but it is a lonestar. there are much lighter 1x12 tube options out there. most of them are lower wattage too, which might also work for playing in your room too since your tone will be better at lower volumes. keep in mind even 5-20watts amps are quite giggable, especially for the style of music you are playing.

as for suggestions, the venerable peavey classic 30 is always a solid choice. great cleans and warm classic overdrive. and it's super light too. i have a laney lc30 which is great, although a little heavier (about 45lb). it's manageable though. that amp has shimmering cleans and a fairly ferocious gain channel too.

pedal-wise, i still love the ts9 (modded) and the bb-xotic works great with it too as it's very transparent. i have a modded ds-1, but i prefer the bb-xotic over that.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 PM

Check also the new Egnater rebel 30 combo...
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Very cheap portable and awesome small rig for all kinds of music=
ada mp2 + gmajor + peavey bandit 1X12.
I used to play in several cover bands from pop to metal and this rig always made people ask me what I was using cause my tone was amazing.
mp2 and bandit are almost for free these days.
Believe me this rig is what you need,amazing tones plus no pedal tap dancing,no cables and ac adaptors,no noise etc.
You can carry it all by yourself.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:41 PM

I'd be tempted to go with an AxeFX and a small power amp. All bases and gig sizes covered.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 06:16 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Need help coming up with a very portable rig

Tom Scholz Rockman and a guitar...right into the board and done. I've done this before a few times. It's a bit of a bitch switching from clean to distorted, but it's very portable...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 PM

+1 AxeFX and power amp...I went this route, and found the best sounds I have ever gotten, and it is LIGHT.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 09:32 AM

Reviews: 18

Do a mini colossal with the 3 satch vox stompboxes and you'll be able to even plug it into any board at a gig.

Jimmy
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble311 View Post
+1 AxeFX and power amp...I went this route, and found the best sounds I have ever gotten, and it is LIGHT.
I checked out the AxeFX. Very cool.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 07:34 PM

Unbelievable setup, really. Especially with a FRFR setup. Currently working on getting that set up for myself. It sounds great through my Avatar 2x12s (Vintage 30 speakers), but sounds even better with the custom cabinet modeling and impulse responses made by the online scene through a good PA-style monitor. Waiting on the Atomic Reactor FRFR 1x12 cabinets to come out to switch to those.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:01 AM

+2 for the AxeFX! I saw Meshuggah last summer and Fredrik was using them. They sound killer and all you have to do is just connect it to the PA.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:49 AM

cmon bro! what are you thinking!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv8QbTBjV0I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qarCkw6XKMo

you're going to get rid of that ??

--

just suck it up! you'll regret dumping the lonestar.. turn down the level's on each channel, and use the 5 watt mode.. you should have absolutely no trouble getting a low volume in your room
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
cmon bro! what are you thinking!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv8QbTBjV0I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qarCkw6XKMo

you're going to get rid of that ??

--

just suck it up! you'll regret dumping the lonestar.. turn down the level's on each channel, and use the 5 watt mode.. you should have absolutely no trouble getting a low volume in your room
I'm not dumping it. I'm absolutely not selling it. And it's an older model...50/100W. And you absolutely can't play an amp without headphones in your room. The RA's crap their pants.
Also, in its road case, its over 100 lbs. Even with the nice thick side handles, I absolutely can't lift it on my own (it's not the weight, it's the width. It's like, 3 feet wide in the case. You can't get around it to get enough leverage!)
So, absolutely the worst possible gigging rig for a college student living in Boston, except maybe a half stack.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 06:07 PM

I recently bought a ZT amplifiers lunchbox amp...loud enough to gig with, sounds good with pedals. FIrst solid state amp that I liked this much. Weighs about 9 pounds, small enough to fit in a backpack. Might be woirth trying. Good luck.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 06:54 PM

You could also get a 15-18watt tube combo and a Nova System to put in front of it if you want effects...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode