Need help finding an EQ - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Need help finding an EQ

I need major help on my rig. i just purchased a Mesa DC-10, and its not exactly what i need, it was extremely cheap, fit my needs, and it does get the job done extremely well. After talking to my buddy (who happens to be a sound engineer) about my rig, he told me the only thing i need is an EQ pedal or rackmount, and my Mesa will sound just fine. I was wondering if anyone has any recomendations on EQs. I need to be able to switch/turn it on for solos, so i was looking at the MXR 10 band, but im still not sure. is there a rackmountable EQ that is footswitchable to activate it or switch EQs? any help is appriciated.

if you find any spelling/gramatical errors, you can keep them, im very tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 03:35 AM

Re: Need help finding an EQ

I currently use an MXR 6 band in my effects loop for solos, but the CAE boost pedal made by Bob Bradshaw for MXR has peaked my interest.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 04:59 AM

How about a Furman PQ-4? Dunno if it's switchable though, if it's not you can get an Axess GRX4.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 05:38 AM

I use an old beat up Boss GE-7 on my 5150II. It might be a bit limited but it gets the job done and it's relatively cheap.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 06:52 AM

^^^+1

IMO The Boss GE-7 would suit you fine. I use an Arion MEQ-1 - cheap, not particularly durable (fairly flimsy plastic casing), but does the job.

MXR EQ's are meant to be good. There's a 10-band one available.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 09:18 AM

I have a 31 band rackmount EQ . You might be able to find a nice rackmount EQ for about 150. Fully worth it because you can sculpt your tone to whatever your ears desire.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 10:07 PM

I've had my GE-7 for a decade at least and it has always been fine for me. Very quiet, and very reasonable as well as has been noted.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 10:59 PM

Got a 31 band, mounted in the read of my amp. My buddy was jst gonna throw it out. I said I'd take it. Man, I'm glad I did, cause it makes every difference in the world! If you can get a switchable (or if you are handy with a soldering gun, and can mod one), I'd say get the rackmount. Otherwise, I'd go for the MXR 10-band stompbox. It seems to have more of the important bands, that the Boss GE-7 doesn't.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 07:07 PM

Hey Thrash!! My main amp right now is a DC-5, which is the same amp but 50 watts instead of 100.

When you say, "it isn't what I need", what is it exactly you dont like?? Not bright enough? Not enough headroom? To much bass and not enough treble? That will help us help you the right way. Now N Days there's a million options for how you could use that amp. You need to find the one right for you.

Now until you get a little more in depth about what you don't like, I can only suggest a few things. I wouldn't suggest an EQ 1st. The Mesa's 3 band main EQ with 5 band parametric should be more than enough to EQ the preamp section. Anymore outboard control IMO would be redundant. Plus its footswitchable, something thats hard to come by on a rackmount EQ.

Ever tried a BBE Sonic Maximizer in the loop?? I've used Sonic Max's for years with numerous setups, if I didn't have one in the loop of my DC-5, then it would not suffice. I would basically say its not cutting it. But because of the BBE, it makes everything sound friggin HUGE. It clears it up and makes the sound very spatial. Some consider the BBE a type of EQ, which it is and it isn't. But it mostly isn't. Heh . Its really a phase corrector. Check out their website for more details, but I strongly suggest trying one!!

chris

P.S- How much did you score it for? If you dont mind me asking.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 11:12 PM

The DC series was a little gritty, and less three dimensional than the MK and Rectos, probably even the Nomads. I had a DC-5 when they came out for about a year or so. I agree that it would benefit much from a BBE. Definitely try one at the same time you're shopping for an EQ. You can do way more with an EQ, but an EQ can't ever do what a BBE does. The DC's were a little flatter sounding than a MKIII or IV, and not as deep and resonant in the low end as the Rectos. So if it were my DC-5 or 10, unless I wanted to completely warp the tone, like you're trying to turn it into a Marshall or Vox or something, I would run the DC's with a BBE first, and an EQ second. I could basically get all the tones I wanted out of the DC, but couldn't get the heart-pounding lows or detailed, expansive highs like you can from a MK or Recto.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 06:01 AM

Some type of eq modifiction will likely get you in the area you need. Hell i suggest this for any player really. Eq's are secret weapons for alot of tone freaks.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 03:54 PM

Reviews: 1

I use a Boss GE7 in my effects loop a bit scooped on my Mesa F-100 for heavy riffs and shut it off for solos which puts the mids back in. Mesas tend to be mid heavy so running the eq this way works well.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
The DC series was a little gritty, and less three dimensional than the MK and Rectos, probably even the Nomads. I had a DC-5 when they came out for about a year or so. I agree that it would benefit much from a BBE. Definitely try one at the same time you're shopping for an EQ. You can do way more with an EQ, but an EQ can't ever do what a BBE does. The DC's were a little flatter sounding than a MKIII or IV, and not as deep and resonant in the low end as the Rectos. So if it were my DC-5 or 10, unless I wanted to completely warp the tone, like you're trying to turn it into a Marshall or Vox or something, I would run the DC's with a BBE first, and an EQ second. I could basically get all the tones I wanted out of the DC, but couldn't get the heart-pounding lows or detailed, expansive highs like you can from a MK or Recto.
You pretty much nailed it on the head, Frank. I do like my DC-5, but there are some things about its character that I still don't like. To be honest I've been thinking about selling the DC-5 to finance one of those new Roadster Rectifier heads. I just haven't gotten the chance to play one in a band setting enough to jump on one.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Its not that i don't like the amp, its just that it was a good deal and gets the jobs done, but it lacks a solo function. I needed an EQ to boost mids and level during a solo. I tried a BBE, and after i buy a new cab, I'm looking at getting one. thanks for your help guys
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 11:43 AM

Hmm, I was just looking a good deal on a used EQ pedal. I didn't buy it cause I was not sure I would use it. Now I'm thinking maybe I should go back and get it.

Tags
bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , boost pedal , sonic maximizer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode