Need help w/Mark IV amp. What am I doing wrong? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Need help w/Mark IV amp. What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I just bought a Mesa Mark IV from a fellow jemsiter (thanks Chris!). I basically have the 1X12 short combo but he also included the original head cabinet. I played thru the combo yesterday and it sounded AMAZING! Today, I transferred the guts into the head cabinet, hooked up the reverb & fan, and hooked it up to my Mesa 2X12 recto cab. I turn it on...wait about 2 minutes, switch standby to ON and...nothing. Just a mild hum. I can tell the fan is not running. I then tried to hook up the original combo speaker as well, still nothing. Since this is my first tube amp, I want to check with some experts to see if they can help me troubleshoot the situation. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 12:10 AM

The fan can be a little tricky to hook up in the head cab, since it's such a tight fit. But...even if it's NOT plugged in, the amp should still power up fine. Are all of the tubes powering up visibly? I hadn't swapped the amp back from the combo cab since I got it about a year ago, so I can't really think of anything off the top of my head, but...it should be a fairly simple task. I'm honestly not sure what could be wrong

I guess just make sure all of the tubes are firmly seated in their sockets, etc. If all else fails, give Mesa a call on Monday- they're great to work with and should have you up & running in no time!

Sorry you're having issues though...I hope it works out- you'll LOVE the amp!

Chris
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Chris, thanks for the advice. I noticed the spacing is pretty tight in the head encloure, but nothing that couldn't be worked out. At least I know everything checked out perfectly while the chassis was still housed in the combo cab. I'll tinker with it a bit more to see what else I could have missed. Thanks!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

All taken care of! A preamp tube came loose while sliding the chassis into the cabinet and some styrofoam was lodged in the fan. Everything is top notch. Time to upset the neighbors!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 08:19 PM

Whew! Glad it was something minor!

Now...go rattle some windows!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 04:48 PM

Glad to hear that you got your Mark IV woes sorted out! It's a killer amp... now it's time to enjoy it!

--B

Tags
mesa mark , preamp tube , recto cab , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode