need a new amp...HELP!!! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

need a new amp...HELP!!!

I am in the market for a new amp. I am looking for a solid state amp that will give me a fair amount of versitility. I am a rhythm player so i am more concerned with having good rhythm tones as opposed to lead tones. I am kind of unsure about the modeling amps cuz I hear good and bad about all of them. I play many types of music but the distortion would need to cover basic rock, 80's metal, nu metal, you know... pretty much the whole gamut.

Here are a few more specs

1 or 2 12" speakers
good reverb
channel switching
50-75 watts or so
fx loop or high quality built in effects
closed back cabinet
ferquency compensated output for direct recording
extension speaker output

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:48 PM

Re: need a new amp...HELP!!!

a price range/budget would be helpful...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 12:31 AM

Reviews: 18

Is there a particular reason why a solid state amp as opposed to a tube amp?

Jimmy
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd130 View Post
I am in the market for a new amp. I am looking for a solid state amp that will give me a fair amount of versitility. I am a rhythm player so i am more concerned with having good rhythm tones as opposed to lead tones. I am kind of unsure about the modeling amps cuz I hear good and bad about all of them. I play many types of music but the distortion would need to cover basic rock, 80's metal, nu metal, you know... pretty much the whole gamut.

Here are a few more specs

1 or 2 12" speakers
good reverb
channel switching
50-75 watts or so
fx loop or high quality built in effects
closed back cabinet
ferquency compensated output for direct recording
extension speaker output

any ideas?
is price the reason you want a solid state amp?
if you want solid state i would say try modeling amps. goto a store when you have time and sit with a few and play. the line 6 stuff seems to have what you are looking for. i know lots of guys using them with great results.

i personally i say get a nice used tube amp. you'll be glad you did. it might not have all those features but once you have true tone you can figure out the rest as you go.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

The reason I am looking for a solid state amp is due to price. I love the sound of tubes but Even used ones on the bay go for more than I want to spend. I have heard a few tube amps that are what I am looking for in all aspects except that they don't have enough gain. I don't really want to have to use a pedal with the amp to get the tones I need. I need to be able to go from sparkly clean to full on straight from the bowels of hell distortion with only having to switch channels and not having to use a pedal as well. All the ones that seem to have the right amount of gain for my tastes are very expensive and way too loud, like 100 watts. I figure with a solid state amp I can get a decent amount of gain on the distortion channel and the price would be reasonable. I suppose I could always get a used tube preamp and then patch it into the back of my old peavey. Any comments on the Peavey Rockmaster preamps?

Last edited by cmd130; 05-01-2007 at 06:41 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 11:41 AM

i don't know of an amp that can go from sparkly clean to screamn hell without changing the channels. the Boss Dyna Dist is the closest i've heard to doing that but it still isn't quite there yet.

look for a Peavey XXL used. three channels and pretty powerful for a solid state.

you can find Carvin Tube amps used in the $400 range if you are persistent.

good luck and let us know what you find.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:50 PM

Reviews: 130

Look at the VOX Valvetronix amps--I have the 30-watt model and it's PLENTY loud to play club gigs, but only has an 8" speaker. Look at the 50-watt AD50VT or the 100-watt AD100VT. You can get the 1x12 50-watt for 359.00 US, or the 50-watt 2x12 for 459.00 US. The 100-watt is 549.00 US. These things are mostly solid-state with a single ECC83 valve in the power stage to get good tube tone. Check them out--a great sound and value for the price!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Dug

Behringer or Line 6. Behringer if you are on a tight budget. Awesome amp.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 08:52 PM

The 50 watt Vox amp sounds tremendous for the money-way better than Line 6.
Go to a Guitar Center and take something home -they have a 30 day no question asked policy if you want to return it. We've all had that experience where something sounds great in the store and later sounds like a broken radio when you turn it up or worse just does'nt fit your bands sound. Take your time and go to a store during the week when you can actually try gear-the weekends are always a three ring circus.
Good Luck,
Tony
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 PM

My old (Berklee) college buddy Kevin Boyea works at Advance Music in Burlington.

He's a helluva good guy and he knows his stuff. I'm sure he'd be happy to help you in the right direction if you want to take the drive down there.

~Kenny
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
My old (Berklee) college buddy Kevin Boyea works at Advance Music in Burlington.

He's a helluva good guy and he knows his stuff. I'm sure he'd be happy to help you in the right direction if you want to take the drive down there.

~Kenny
OMG, someone who knows vermont!! I go to advance all the time. should i tell him u sent me to him?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd130 View Post
OMG, someone who knows vermont!! I go to advance all the time. should i tell him u sent me to him?
Absolutely, and please send him my regards. I haven't spoken with him since i visited up there back in the summer of '04...i had a gig in Waitsfield, and stayed in Montpelier - we went and visited Burlington the day after (he came down to montpelier the day before)

Good times!
~Kenny

Tags
peavey rockmaster , peavey xxl , solid state amp , tube amp , tube amps , tube preamp , tube tone , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode