Need a new practice amp - any suggestions? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Need a new practice amp - any suggestions?

I need to get a new small practice amp. I used to have a Tech 21 Trademark 10, which was great, but I sold it and now kinda regret. Before I get another TM10, I'd like to get opinions on what else is out there.

The TM10 was small with an 8" speaker but loud enough to play at rehearsals and really light. It sounded good plugged straight in, but also had an fx loop for my rack at rehearsals.

What else is out there, from any other company, tube or ss, that meets the requirements of being small, light, loud if necessary.

Thanx,
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 06:25 PM

The new Zoom amps and Roland cube amps might be good. I don't know how they sound but both amps use amp modeling. I think both have some effects too. From both companies you can get a 15 watt version with an 8 inch speaker or a 30 watt version with a 10 inch.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 07:48 PM

When i saw the topic i wanted to say Tech21 trademark 10, but it doesn't seem to be neccessary ...i don't know, you might try the small peavey transtubes, the new ones are supposed to be pretty good...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 07:58 PM

I've got a little Peavey Rage 158 and the thing sounds like CRAP. But with a Line6 POD it sounds pretty good! Strangely the POD seems to sound best with bad amps and worst with good amps.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremlin
I've got a little Peavey Rage 158 and the thing sounds like CRAP. But with a Line6 POD it sounds pretty good! Strangely the POD seems to sound best with bad amps and worst with good amps.
I've got one too, and although the clean channel is nice, the lead channel is absolutely horrible...apparently this has improved in the newer models, do you have the old model (old logo) or the new one (new logo)?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 08:10 PM

I've got the Envoy 110 (new logo): its got a very good lead channel. Its a great little practice amp that can power a cathedral! (I know first hand!)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 08:45 PM

I was going to say Tech21 Trademark 10 too! If you liked it and regret selling it then why not get another??? For the price, it's the best bedroom amp I've ever had.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 01:12 AM

LOL, first thing in my head was T21TM10 .. LOL ..

i need one to replace my pod for practise and demos .. hell, even in the studio sometimes.. amazing amp.

~A
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 02:42 AM

Yeah, i gotta concur... if you want a small ampto jam out on, Trademark 10 it is...

-Drew
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 01:58 PM

If I were to buy a practice amp I would probably put my money on the smallest Line6 Spyder. There are not tube but they sound better then any other practice amp I have played through and you get alot for your money. That's just my opinion though.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 02:12 PM

Here is a sound clip of a JEM7VWH played through a Peavey Envoy 110. It sounds really hissy and compressed because I recorded it with a computer mic, but the tone can still cut through some what. Check it out!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremlin
I've got one too, and although the clean channel is nice, the lead channel is absolutely horrible...apparently this has improved in the newer models, do you have the old model (old logo) or the new one (new logo)?
I'm not sure.. it's not the super pointy 80s looking logo if that's what you mean. And it sounds like ass if that's what you mean
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 06:26 PM

hehehe... given a choice between a Trademark 10 and a Peavey anythinglessthan30watts, I chose the Trademark 10 - I've had a number of Peavey practice amps, and they aren't in the same league, imho... I do own a Peavey Blues Deluxe and a Wolfgang btw, so don't go thinkin' I'm "anti-Peavey" (or Uncle Bruce! um... nevermind... ) by any stretch...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 10:21 PM

You can occasionally find a Carvin X60A on ebay for $200 - $300. They have a 12" speaker and spring reverb and they are all tube. They are 60 watts and depending on when they were manufactured, came with 2 - 6L6's or EL34's in the power amp and 3 - 12AX7's in the preamp. The tone controls use an active circuit instead of a passive circuit found in most tube amps from that era.

They sound very similar to their 100 watt big brothers, the X100B head and the XV112 or XV212 combos.

They are quiet enough to practice at home and loud enough to rehearse and gig with a band.

Tags
bedroom amp , power amp , practice amp , roland cube , spring reverb , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode