Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Need a new practice amp - any suggestions?

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  ScottB 
#1 ·
I need to get a new small practice amp. I used to have a Tech 21 Trademark 10, which was great, but I sold it and now kinda regret. Before I get another TM10, I'd like to get opinions on what else is out there.

The TM10 was small with an 8" speaker but loud enough to play at rehearsals and really light. It sounded good plugged straight in, but also had an fx loop for my rack at rehearsals.

What else is out there, from any other company, tube or ss, that meets the requirements of being small, light, loud if necessary.

Thanx,
Peter

#5 ·
Kremlin said:
I've got a little Peavey Rage 158 and the thing sounds like CRAP. But with a Line6 POD it sounds pretty good! Strangely the POD seems to sound best with bad amps and worst with good amps.
I've got one too, and although the clean channel is nice, the lead channel is absolutely horrible...apparently this has improved in the newer models, do you have the old model (old logo) or the new one (new logo)?

#12 ·
pawel said:
Kremlin said:
I've got a little Peavey Rage 158 and the thing sounds like CRAP. But with a Line6 POD it sounds pretty good! Strangely the POD seems to sound best with bad amps and worst with good amps.
I've got one too, and although the clean channel is nice, the lead channel is absolutely horrible...apparently this has improved in the newer models, do you have the old model (old logo) or the new one (new logo)?
I'm not sure.. it's not the super pointy 80s looking logo if that's what you mean. And it sounds like ass if that's what you mean ;)

#13 ·
hehehe... given a choice between a Trademark 10 and a Peavey anythinglessthan30watts, I chose the Trademark 10 - I've had a number of Peavey practice amps, and they aren't in the same league, imho... I do own a Peavey Blues Deluxe and a Wolfgang btw, so don't go thinkin' I'm "anti-Peavey" (or Uncle Bruce! um... nevermind... :D ) by any stretch...

#14 ·
You can occasionally find a Carvin X60A on ebay for $200 - $300. They have a 12" speaker and spring reverb and they are all tube. They are 60 watts and depending on when they were manufactured, came with 2 - 6L6's or EL34's in the power amp and 3 - 12AX7's in the preamp. The tone controls use an active circuit instead of a passive circuit found in most tube amps from that era.

They sound very similar to their 100 watt big brothers, the X100B head and the XV112 or XV212 combos.

They are quiet enough to practice at home and loud enough to rehearse and gig with a band.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.