Need Noob Help: What's a good first amp for my budget? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 07:20 PM

Re: Need Noob Help: What's a good first amp for my budget?

The Roland cube's are pretty cool, I'd still like to own one for kicks along side one of those Marshall mini stacks(gotta get myself the Zakk Wylde edition)

My first guitar amp was a Peavey Classic 30, great amp with some nice tones, but it's more blues than metal. You'll need some pedals to really make it sound high gain. I personally ran a modified Metal zone and/or a DOD YJM pedal(also modded).

Avoid the Line 6 spider amps like the plague. They have stupidly high amounts of digital gain that don't really sound that great. Buy a POD instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Update: I'm now considering the Peavey Valveking 112 combo amp. 50w, all tube. I was quoted $495 CDN at a local dealer here, which sounds reasonable and is within my budget.

Thoughts on this amp?

Thanks.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 12:12 AM

I notice you are from Alberta so I'm going to give you a suggestion that will sound a little off the wall but try it and I think you'll see it's better than any modeler or $500 tube combo.

Go to Axe Music and look for a Behringer AC110 Vintager. They're the cheapest tube amp I know of (about $100) but they give you pretty good vintage tones for the price. Then get a Boss MT-2 metal zone and read the instructions for the eq. With this amp and this pedal you will be able to get tons of great distortion settings for about $250.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
My main influences are all over the place a bit, but the obvious ones are 'Satch, Vai, Petrucci and Van Halen. But on the heavier side, also bands like Megadeth, Metallica, and Iron Maiden.

Wow.....you sure we're not related?
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 03:48 AM

Follow this simple advice from someone who's been there and done that. Save $1K and buy either Mesa Mark IV or Rocktron/Egnater TOL100 combo. You'll save a ton of money on upgrades that you'll inevitably be tempted to do if you buy something cheap and crappy. And yes, Crate is what I'd call "crappy".
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 08:34 AM

I agree. Save some more money and get a good amp right off the bat. I have wasted tons of money going through cheaper amps. It ends up costing you alot more after buying, selling, and trading, up to the good ones. You can get great high end used tube amps for around $1000 or less, and you will never need anything else. I just picked up a Rivera S120 2x12 combo for $700 and a Laney TT100 for $1000 . Great amps for the price. I bought my Mesa Roadster new like an idiot, but I wanted it right away after playing one, so I spent over 2 grand on it. Now i see them on the bay for $1500. good luck with the hunt....
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 01:29 PM

The Peavey classic 30 is a great amp with the right pedals in front of it and has a very good effects loop. The tube Laneys can be found used for that price range..VC30 is a very good amp. A used fender tube amp can be picked up at that price. The Vox solid state 30 or 60 amps sound very good .
I'm not familiar with whats the prices are in Canada on anything but you should be able to find most of the brands mentioned in this thread. If you could tell us the style of music you're playing it would help. Don't get to caught up in gear right now just make sure the action on your guitar is comfortable for you and its properly intonated-you're gonna be spending a lot of time on it.
Your parents gave you the biggest single factor in your sound ever-your hands-timing, attack, pitch, note choice, clarity(muting is the single most important thing you'll ever learn if you 're going to play with high gain/high volume) are all 100% you-Vai, Satriani and Andy Timmons sound like themselves through any quality amp. You'll know the right amp in 5 minutes..hit a chord and see if the sound is balanced and fades out evenly..play a few notes and see if the sound is too trebly /thin or bassy/muddy? Do the notes die out too soon...poor sustain? Is the sound punchy? Do the note pop out of the speakers? Theres nothing worse than being able to pick very cleanly/quickly on an acoustic and when you plug into an amp it sounds like theres a time zone between when you hit the strings and the notes come out. There are no Noobs on this or any other board-We all started out the same way-Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Good luck-let us know how it turns out.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 02:38 PM

I wish it were as simple as just playing a few chords and notes. Thing is, how the amp sounds also depends on the volume, on the room you're in, on what you have dialed in, on how the amp is positioned relative to you and on what you're playing even (i.e. the same amp will sound completely different with different background tracks). In other words, there are lots of factors. You will not figure out if the amp is decent or not in Guitar Center. You will have to spend a couple of weeks with it.

Then there's your hearing. I've had many great amps over the years and I've noticed one thing. Without touching the knobs, I sometimes love the amp one day and hate it the next. It's the same sound, same everything. The only thing different is the listener.

These are the kinds of things your amp choice depends on. So you should buy a tube amp that you KNOW is good.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 02:44 PM

I hate spiders.... and the spiders you squish, lol. I think the crate sounds good, I've always liked crates for the price, reliability and sound
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 03:51 PM

if you just want it for jamming with other guitarists and practicing get the roland cube 30 x... it smokes any amp modeling combo ive heard.. you can put them on 10 and you get no feedback or bottoming out.. they sound great for the price..
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 04:45 PM

Save up a bit more and wait for a cheap mk III on ****. It is definitely better than spider, cube, and crate. I've played the vintage club and its good, but a mesa would be better
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 07:49 PM

All companies amps have an inherent sound based on their design/components-for me it really is that simple. I only play tube amps and they fall into two categories a good one(good working order..no issues/problems) or a bad one: this is then subdivided into three groups- low gain clean amp like fenders/voxes, medium gain like stock marshalls and finally the modern high gain amps like Mesa/Soldano/Bogner/Jsx/5150s. I understand your comments on tone in a store versus a rehersal with the band. A sound thats awesome by itself at low volume never works onstage-you have to cut the gain/low end turn up the mids and treble or you'll get lost in the mix. Guys that use a very scooped sound get buried onstage-you need midrange. The simpler an amp the less can go wrong and the easier it is to dial in one awesome sound-I'm not a fan of Mesa Boogie for this very reason-dialing in a Mk III or IV is a nightmare. Theres a reason why so many bands use basic marshall tube heads or mesa rectifiers-its very easy to get a good sound quickly.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 08:10 PM

Dialing in an MK IV is no harder than dialing in a Fender or Marshall. Channel controls are nearly the same (except there are two knobs for gain). Sure, there are three channels, but they don't interfere with each other. Most of the complexity is on the back and it's related to the power amp (i.e. whether you want it in triode mode, what kind of contour you like) - those you set and forget the first day.

And TOL100 handles low, med, high and super-high gains better than any other amp I've used, including the ones I've built myself. On low gain it sounds like a Fender, on high gain it sounds like a modded Marshall. If you're shooting for Vox on low-med gain and Recto on high gain, there's always Rocktron Vendetta which is designed by the same dude.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Well, I finally made my decision and settled for a Roland Cube 30X. (I know that'll probably disappoint some of you. )

But the price was decent and its features and power level should be enough to keep me happy for at least a year... (6 months?). Or whenever this gear-whore bug nags at me again.

Here's some specs:
http://www.***************.com/produ...OSM?sku=487032

Got it at a local mom & pop music shop for $300 CDN.

Even if I end up buying something bigger/badder/better down the road I would probably keep this Cube anyway because of its portability.

One of the new features the 30X has over the '30' it replaced is the "Power Squeezer" function which limits the output to 2W. If you ask me they should've named it the "Wife Pleaser".

PS - Does anyone know if its possible to get any 'Satch tones out of one of these? (anything remotely close?)

Jason
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:02 PM

Reviews: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
I second the comment about Crate. Despite the fact that most of their solid state stuff is junk, they often produce a few gems here and there.

I have a 1995 Crate Vintage Club VC50H 50w (EL84 powered) head that I use, and it's great! It can very bluesy to very metalish. And you know what? I paid only $400 for the half-stack. AWESOME deal. However, they don't make them anymore, so you're gonna have to find one used (using e-bay, etc).

+10 I had a Crate Vintage 30 combo that was plenty loud and crunchy (4 x ECC83, 4 x EL84). I loved that thing--wish I'd never sold it...

Tags
andy timmons , combo amp , egnater tol , electric guitar , guitar port , high gain amp , iron maiden , mesa boogie , mesa mark , mesa rectifier , modded marshall , peavey classic , peavey valveking , power amp , roland cube , satch tone , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube head , van halen , vox valvetronix , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode