Need Noob Help: What's a good first amp for my budget? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:16 PM

Re: Need Noob Help: What's a good first amp for my budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post

PS - Does anyone know if its possible to get any 'Satch tones out of one of these? (anything remotely close?)

Jason
You could also buy a nice modeling pedal..... dial in that "satch" tone and have room for your own! Including a ton of built in effects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
You could also buy a nice modeling pedal..... dial in that "satch" tone
Did you have any specific recommendations in that area?
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Well, I finally made my decision and settled for a Roland Cube 30X. (I know that'll probably disappoint some of you. )

Jason
How do you like it?

I have a Micro Cube and a Cube 60 in my teaching studio and I'm ditching the Cube 60 for a Fender G-Dec 30. The Cube 60 has a horrible, static-like sound that kills the tone. The Micro is cool for what it is and being able to operate on batteries makes it more useful for me in a pinch - I can handle the extra noise for that price on the Micro as opposed to hearing the noise from an amp that is over 3x the price.

I love my Tech 21 Trademark 10. Great cleans, great distortion, small amp for fair price.

For fun I do plan to get the Zakk micro stack. No justification other than it seems like it would be a fun amp to own and I've wanted a Micro Marshall stack since I was a kid.
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:39 PM

you can get a valveking combo, they're very nice

EDIT: nvm, you got a roland

Last edited by neptoess; 06-04-2007 at 12:40 PM. Reason: being an idiot
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Did you have any specific recommendations in that area?
Check out a Toneworks AX1500G..... not half bad tones & effects. Plus It won't break your wallet. (usually in the $200.00 range) or check the evilbay. The AX3000g is slightly more versatile a $250.00. These are pretty user friendly and not too complicated to tweak. (Both for the price are a pretty good "bang" for the buck!

There are much better ones, but they increase in price pretty quickly. You just need to check some out and compare them. Tone is pretty subjective..... what I like, you may not. Just remember each has it's own drawbacks and good points as well.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
How do you like it?
Well, I'm not very qualified to answer this yet. This is my first amp of course, and even my guitar (my RG20th) is my very first electric guitar. So EVERYTHING is new to me. How to make sounds on the guitar, playing with the pickup selector, etc. Let alone the effects on the amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptoess View Post
EDIT: nvm, you got a roland
See, I knew I'd disappoint someone.

I was looking at the Peavey Valveking 112 combo. It was a little more money than the 30X (close to a couple hundred CDN$ more here) and didn't have as many features. I figure the 30X probably won't be my last amp and even if I buy something else I will probably keep the Cube anyway because its just so nice in its size and weight for portability.

Tags
andy timmons , combo amp , egnater tol , electric guitar , guitar port , high gain amp , iron maiden , mesa boogie , mesa mark , mesa rectifier , modded marshall , peavey classic , peavey valveking , power amp , roland cube , satch tone , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube head , van halen , vox valvetronix , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode