Need Noob Help: What's a good first amp for my budget? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Need Noob Help: What's a good first amp for my budget?

First off, I love this site. Its addicting. I can feel I'm on my way to becoming a future gear whore!

Anyway, I finally decided last week to get a RG550 20th reissue and have one in RFR on the way. As this will be my first electric guitar, I obviously have a little problem. I have nothing to plug this RG into yet.

I figure its probably not unreasonable to budget ~ $500 or less for this. I am intrigued with such brands as Peavey, Line 6, and Mesa Boogie. (and often hear reference to Crate and Marshall as well).

My main influences are all over the place a bit, but the obvious ones are 'Satch, Vai, Petrucci and Van Halen. But on the heavier side, also bands like Megadeth, Metallica, and Iron Maiden.

Hopefully I made the first correct choice... the guitar. From everything I'd read, an Ibanez RG is a good bet for "metal".

So for amps, what should I look for? Would the new Peavey Mini-Colossal fit my bill? Should I look for something with built-in effects? Or get something very basic and add pieces to the setup a little at a time? What about gadgets like the Line 6 PodXT Live?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Dug

Re: Need Noob Help: What's a good first amp for my budget?

The pod xt live would be a good choice. I use a guitar port with all the pod goodies in it. It sounds great to me. Behringer makes a great sounding amp for little cash. I work on a very small budget so thats all I know. If you want to talk higher dollar rigs I cant help ya. Mesa Boogie? Whats that haha? I have seen one in person twice in my life.
By the way, I'm a Vai, Satch, Van Halen nut as well and I dont have any problem getting those tones out of my Guitar port

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=961375&t=2501

By the way if you listen to any of my older recordings...that was before I really figured out how to use this thing and before I got the add ons. They sound way better now.

Last edited by Dug; 05-01-2007 at 06:51 PM.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

If I were to start off with something like the Line 6 Spider III combo amp, should I go for the 30W model (~$250 CDN), or the 75W model (~$400 CDN)?

Would there be a significant difference in sound quality and range between them? It does appear that the 75W version has more features. But is it overkill for a first amp?
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 01:36 PM

roland cube line , they are versital , loud and to me have pretty good tone .
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 11:07 PM

Point of reference: I gig with Ibanez RGs and a Gibson LP, a Mesa Rectifier and occasionally the Floor POD Plus.

I just picked up a Crate Palomino. I am blown away by the sound I am getting out of this amp. I decided to get the 30w amp because it has two channels. However, the 15 watt Palomino is very impressive (loud and expressive.) I am actually quite surprised that Crate made this amp - I am used to their horrible sounding solid state junk.

The 30 watt I "stole" for $448 + tax - but it looks like MF or GC is selling them for $599. The 15 watt is $399. Awesome tube amps for under $600.

I think that you'll be disappointed with the Spider amps, although they have a lot of bells and whistles, IMHO they are quite weak (and I have been a huge supporter of Line 6's technology.)

If you could stretch your budget another $100, I'd recommend one of these Palominos (the 15w) and a Line 6 Floor POD. The floor POD has everything a beginning guitarist would need and the Palomino will give you the benefits of a true tube amp. You should be able to get these for a total of about $600 (deduct 40% off list price and any dealer in his right mind would sell to you for that price!) I would consider betting money that you'd be extremely pleased with this setup.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 12:15 AM

I second the comment about Crate. Despite the fact that most of their solid state stuff is junk, they often produce a few gems here and there.

I have a 1995 Crate Vintage Club VC50H 50w (EL84 powered) head that I use, and it's great! It can very bluesy to very metalish. And you know what? I paid only $400 for the half-stack. AWESOME deal. However, they don't make them anymore, so you're gonna have to find one used (using e-bay, etc).

Last edited by waylay00; 05-04-2007 at 12:26 AM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Dee

I have only ever tried one Crate combo and I thought it was great. This was in the 80's though.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
I second the comment about Crate. Despite the fact that most of their solid state stuff is junk, they often produce a few gems here and there.

I have a 1995 Crate Vintage Club VC50H 50w (EL84 powered) head that I use, and it's great! It can very bluesy to very metalish. And you know what? I paid only $400 for the half-stack. AWESOME deal. However, they don't make them anymore, so you're gonna have to find one used (using e-bay, etc).

Holy Crap! That? for $400!

I would love something like that. Its such a shame Crate dont sell the Palomino in the UK. If the price was kept somewhat simmilar they would have a real hit. We get shafted when it comes to smaller all tube combo's. Laney are the only really decent ones or Peavey Classics which are expensive.

I would go for something like the Crate Palomino or a Vox Valvetronixs
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 12:07 PM

I agree with the guy who said to stay away from the Spiders. Total, muddy crap. I recently was looking for a pratice amp for at home, and tried one. Hated it. the Vox AD30VT I tried was alright. I ultimately settled in on a Marshall MG30DFX, cause, IMHO, it sounded better than most in my price range at the store (GC), and it met all my criteria: footswitching, headphone/emulated line out (for home demo work, and to keep the wife from bitching about the noise), and an auxiliary input, for practicing along to my tunes, via my MP3 player. I could care less about the effects, and most of them stink anyway, but it got me where I wanted to be.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
If I were to start off with something like the Line 6 Spider III combo amp, should I go for the 30W model (~$250 CDN), or the 75W model (~$400 CDN)?

Would there be a significant difference in sound quality and range between them? It does appear that the 75W version has more features. But is it overkill for a first amp?
My suggestion? Stay away from the Spider. I thought it was garbage.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
First off, I love this site. Its addicting. I can feel I'm on my way to becoming a future gear whore!

Anyway, I finally decided last week to get a RG550 20th reissue and have one in RFR on the way. As this will be my first electric guitar, I obviously have a little problem. I have nothing to plug this RG into yet.

I figure its probably not unreasonable to budget ~ $500 or less for this. I am intrigued with such brands as Peavey, Line 6, and Mesa Boogie. (and often hear reference to Crate and Marshall as well).

My main influences are all over the place a bit, but the obvious ones are 'Satch, Vai, Petrucci and Van Halen. But on the heavier side, also bands like Megadeth, Metallica, and Iron Maiden.

Hopefully I made the first correct choice... the guitar. From everything I'd read, an Ibanez RG is a good bet for "metal".

So for amps, what should I look for? Would the new Peavey Mini-Colossal fit my bill? Should I look for something with built-in effects? Or get something very basic and add pieces to the setup a little at a time? What about gadgets like the Line 6 PodXT Live?

Thanks!
Do you have a decent hifi? If so, get a V-Amp Pro and run your guitar through it into your hifi. Yes, the RG is great for metal. Or anything, actually, it's a very versatile guitar.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 01:35 PM

How about a Vox AD60VT? I have two AD120VT's and they are amazing. You get a variety of tones to suit nearly all genres. It's built in effects are good also. Plus it looks so classy!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 03:37 PM

I have a Peavey TransTube 112 EFX

I really like it for basement playing and even recording. it doesn't cut well live un-mic'd on a stage, but it does sound good and it's versatile.

I believe it's less than $500 ($429 on your average retail website) and it doesn't sound as 'processed' as the Pod stuff.

I have lots of of my music posted around Jemsite - if you can find any of it, you'll hear the Transtube

~K
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 09:27 PM

If you can get a tube do it!
Peavey Classics is GREAT at any price.

use that and if your going metal then put a metal effect.
Blues? Screamer or clone.

Can a metal effect make a high gain tone with a Peavey Classic?

I like the Eppiphone small tube amps also, more for blues but can get nasty!
Not sure about metal though.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Hmm... really tough decision here. Lots of great suggestions.

I think I'm starting to lean towards the Roland Cube line now, probably a Cube 30X, which can be had for about ~$300 CDN. (its big brother the Cube 60 is ~$500 CDN).

I was comparing the Cubes against the Vox Valvetronix equivalents, and I think I like the controls (look, feel and ease of use) of the Roland better than the Vox. Soundwise, I don't think my ear is experienced enough yet to say which has the *better* sound.

Is the Roland Cube something you can still plug some pedals or an effects board (eg. Line 6 PodXT Live) to get more out of it?

Last edited by Inzane; 05-06-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Tags
andy timmons , combo amp , egnater tol , electric guitar , guitar port , high gain amp , iron maiden , mesa boogie , mesa mark , mesa rectifier , modded marshall , peavey classic , peavey valveking , power amp , roland cube , satch tone , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube head , van halen , vox valvetronix , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in