need opinion on small rig - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

need opinion on small rig

hey guys, It's been a long time since i have been around here. my band split up about a year ago and i pretty much haven't played much or been on here much since. But we are all joining back up. Before I was hauling around a giant rig to small bars and it is just a bit ridiculous to take at this point. It included a 8 space rack/Mesa Mark IV Long Head combination rack case with a large pedal board and 2 1x12s. The case weighs like 160 pounds and is very big and bulky.

What i'm looking to go to is a small 4 unit rack which holds a marshall jmp-1 (perhaps voodoo modded), G major, and Mesa 20/20. Then use my existing 1x12 cabs I know that it won't sound like my mesa and tone is definitely subjective, but does anyone think that i won't be able to get decent tones from this set up, or anyhting i may want to think about adding to it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 07:18 AM

Reviews: 3
Re: need opinion on small rig

This might sound obvious, but if you're downsizing why not get a 2x12 instead of 2 1x12's?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 07:21 AM

If you like the mesa sound then why not go for a triaxis rather than the JMP? (other than the fact they cost a fortune)

I'd want a power conditioner/regulator in there too.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

err.. power conditioner. thats a must. don't know why i didn't put that in. the cabs aren't the issue. those are lighter and not too bulky to move. it's just the big rack case thats a pain. Plus i alreayd have the 2 1 x12s and don't want to spend any extra money. I'm not planning on getting rid of any of my current gear. just adding a smaller rack unit so when i play in places that are in the city and in venues that are up narrow staircases, I'm not beating myself up trying to move the giant case. Price is an issue too. since this is just a small rig/secondary rig. i don't want to spend 1000 on a triaxis if i can get another for 500. Plus I have the mesa i like already. the mark iv is about the only mesa sound for me so i don't really need anymore mesa versatility. i hate the recto, so i'm ok with trying a different tone. I already have a Mesa quad preamp. but it's big also and would require a larger case plus a switching unit like a gcx if i plan to midi control, Plus to me it really doesn't sound that much different than the Mark IV. I'm looking to probably trade the quad for a jmp-1

Tags
marshall jmp , mesa mark , pedal board , space rack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode