Need rack/mixer help - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Need rack/mixer help

I would like to put together some sort of rack/mixer/recording system for my home. Here's the basic idea:

I would like to be able to plug in a guitar, bass, mikes, and electronic drumset into one 'rack unit', be able to play live through monitors as well as record on my laptop. I would prefer the unit to be portable so I could run it through a cab as an amp head, if possible.

I have absolutely no sound equipment at this point. Here's one unit I found: http://www.***************.com/prod...xer-?sku=631252

I like what this unit offers, but I would need a seperate rack system if I wanted to add other units and it doesn't look road friendly. Cost is priority, I'm not looking for top-of-the-line.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 02:53 PM

Re: Need rack/mixer help

how about a mixer that has built in usb? how many channels do you need?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure. I guess if I were to mic a standard drum set maybe 6-8.

Sorry, I didn't see the link got rejected. I was looking at the Behringer PMH1000 Europower Powered Mixer. If I could find something like that but in a rackable form, I think that would work.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:25 PM

uhhh no!. it can't hook up to the pc too easily

plus, just get a compact mixer, most mixers can be put into a rack. count how many channels you'll need including vocal, gutiars and bass etc then i'll "hook u up"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Let's go with 8. I'm not a serious player anymore. I ran into an old drummer friend that wants to get together and play. He's paying a recording studio to jam at, so I figured I needed some equipment anyway........to go along with my Jems

I could record the guitar and drums, then add the bass in after.

Thanks.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 04:02 PM

ok, i'll find something for ya
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 05:09 PM

http://www.***************.com/produ...er-?sku=630168

that's probly the best deal you can get. built in usb so you don't have to get another interface
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 02:38 AM

biggest question is, what is your budget? we can figure out what you need according to how much your willing to drop. me personally, i have 2 fairly elaborate home studio setups...that aren't too terribly expensive, but not as portable as you may like. give me a budget and we can figure out from there. i would also steer clear of the xenyx mixers from behringer. good mixers, but the usb is crap. just a stereo in. worthless for live multitracking. the mackie onyx is king of the roost right now. followed by yamaha and alesis in the usb/firewire mixer market.

rich
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
http://www.***************.com/produ...er-?sku=630168

that's probly the best deal you can get. built in usb so you don't have to get another interface

BTW, this suffers from the same problem as the behringer. you really should look into a firewire based unit. then you would get true multitrack capability instead of summed stereo. its worth the extra cheese for the lack of regret.

rich
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 08:43 AM

oh ok. then just spend 50 bux more and get the firewire one.

btw, explain something to me. why is firewire truly multitrack, and the usb not?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

I'm really not looking for anything spectacular. Just something to play around with. I've been using a multi fx pedal through a stereo receiver.....so you get the picture.

I usually run my laptop and guitar through the receiver to play along with an mp3...-lol

The Behringer Europower PMP1280S is a rack mountable unit. Can I add an fx processor to this and use it as a head?

I'd like to keep my budget around $400.

Thanks for the help guys.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 AM

the alesis 16 channel (8 mic channels) has built in usb.... goes straight to the pc! and it's 350! pretty cheap.

Tags
amp head , rack system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode