Need rack preamp opinions - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Need rack preamp opinions

I'm thinking about putting a second preamp in my rack,that already has a mesa triaxis and a mesa 50/50 poweramp. I'm looking for something that has a high gain,tight,smooth, more marshall like lead tone, so I can have a full palette of tones to choose from. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 03:50 PM

If your budget is around $1K - get Egnater IE4, you'll get some great Fender tones along with Marshall and overdriven Marshall tones. If money is no problem - get Bogner Fish. If you can't spend more than a few hundred - get yourself a Marshall JMP-1.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 09:41 PM

Smooth?No marshall is as smooth as the triaxis lead 2 modes.A JMP-1 for instance is more open sounding than the triaxis but has harsher highs relatively speaking.

The IE4 is a great preamp.It sounds like a Marshall JCm but way smoother adn way better lead tone.I would love to snag and IE4.Great preamp.

You could get a JMP-1 used for like 4 hundred bucks.BUt it is not what I would consider "smoother" it is actually less smooth and less compressed with stronger highs
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 09:44 PM

yep, the IE4 is absolutely lush!!
mesa quad and Engl e530 are very good too
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

I think I've changed my mind about the second preamp, at least for now. After transporting my rack that I just put together, I realized that one shouldn't have gear that they cannot transport themselves I've decided to downsize my rack to the Triaxis, my 50/50, and possibly an FX processor. Im hoping to lighten it up alot
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 04:59 AM

I ditched my Triaxis when I got offered to buy a CAE3+SE and I haven't regretted it for a second, it's the best sounding preamp I've ever used.
Steve Lukather and Mike Landau are a couple of other 3+SE users.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 05:33 AM

there are numerous threads on this topic

have you tried a forum search yet?

I think I summarised the threads available in one of them for quick reference

Tags
marshall jmp , mesa triaxis , steve lukather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode