Need Small Tube Amp For Home/Studio use - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Need Small Tube Amp For Home/Studio use

So hey guys, I am quite new to this forum, I wish I am not violating any rules...

So I am using a Marshall AVT20, a good practice amp, but so muddy and lacks clarity. I want a tube amp, which is capable of smaller gigs, studio and home use. I love high gain british style amps, (but I need cleans so orange dark terror or similar amps wouldn't be that good). I certainly need 2 foot switchable channels, with seperate volume knobs, and if possible, seperate gain knobs (I use an Ibaez RG1570 with Evolution pickups, so for some real clean, I gotta use low gain).

I am currently with a low budget, after that vacation... I started saving so I can have my amp early 2013. But I want to search the right amp before i start looking for amps.

Combo, head + cab doesn't matter, I want it to be tube, have the genuine tube sound, at least for clean channel. I am using Morley Bad Horsie 2 + ADD+ Miniamp ( a Sansamp GT-2 Clone) for my distortion sounds.

As for budget, let me tell you some amps I can afford, because prices here may be different from around world: Marshall MHZ 15 + cab or MHZ40c (they have an overal bad reputation mostly because of digital effects ), Marshall MA50C ( nice, cheap, genuine tube amp, but way too loud and doesn't have power dumping), Blackstart HTstudio20, HTClub 40 ( Although they are told to be not all tube, I head they have good sounds at low volumes).

These are most popular amps for that price, within my needings. I am open to Ideas and no I am not one of the guys who look for big brand names, I just want a small, 1x12 prefered, tube amp for studio&home use, and has high gain british. I can either use amp distortion or my own pedal.

I'd also like to buy a good od too, for several boosting operations.

Last thing I forgot to mention, I play rock, hard rock and metal, with quite some distortion, I generally play leads, but clean sound is also needed.

What would you recommend?

Thank you for all replies in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Re: Need Small Tube Amp For Home/Studio use

Hi buddy, fairly new here too so a warm welcome to you!
I personally have gone from a full head and 4 x 12 cab and have eventually come all the way down to a 1 x 12 combo and I love it, I now play a Peavey Classic 30. I have changed the stock speaker out for a celestion vintage 30. It absolutely rocks and is more than loud enough for a rock band. If you dial out the mids and hit the trebble and bass it will handle heavy riffing too..

May benefit from a pedal though. It plays great cleans too mind. My back loves it mostly cause it is so light and portable. I have put it on a dedicated amp stand for the extra projection and it is a beastly sound for only 30 watts of valve power. You can pick one up for around £250 to £300 used but it is totally worth it.

Worth a look at any rate in my book...
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Thumbs up Re: Need Small Tube Amp For Home/Studio use

thinkink of Jet City jca20h head??
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Peavey doesnt have a distributor here so it's rather hard to find, also i dont want to use everything to get distortion, looking for a more readily driven amp, which still sound tight with mids at around 3 o'clock. Jet city is nice but doesnt have 2 channels with separate volume and etc., also as i know no effects loop, which makes me wonder. Btw which cab would be better?
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:56 AM

Reviews: 120

Check out the Blackstar HT range, there'll be something that suits you there. I personally find the HT-5 head with a Vintage 30 1-12 cab plenty for gigs and great for home use.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

İ have heard of vintage 30's, and used it with some amps several times, looks like something i cant go wrong with. But, which brands make niceand affordable 112 cabs with v30's ? Because as i know these speakers are generally expensive and it may be more affordable to buy matching cab
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 04:58 AM

You can order the 112 cab with the speaker you like

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/g112w.htm

I recomend you Vintage 30 too... They give you an aweome, fat, 3D full sound that others can't do it. Just remember that you need a closed back cabinet fot that speaker.

A 112 is gonna help to keep your volume low.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Well doesn't any big brands make them? Laney, marshall, blackstar etc. ? İt will be hard for me to order something big like that, cargo + %25 taxes for importing....

Last edited by Cemges; 08-13-2012 at 05:19 AM.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 AM

Reviews: 120

Many companies have cabinets loaded with Vintage 30s. Orange may be the best bet.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Sooo orange PPC112 v30 cab, and blackstar ht-5 as amp, + I'll buy a tubescreamer clone, also can use my own distortion pedal for drive sound, well this is set. I'll buy the od first as it's the cheapest part early 2013 I think i can get the cab ( it is more expensive then i thought), so i can use it trough my own amp, then amp will be for summer...
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:28 PM

Welcome to Jemsite! I don't know what you can get in Turkey; maybe a better bet is to find out what your options are there and post them. Then folks can give you reviews of the available amps.

I think a great amp for your needs would be the low-wattage Blackstars. I have a Peavey JSX Mini Colossal (not made anymore) and a Marshall Class 5. The Class 5 doesn't have great cleans but has the Marshall 'roar' distortion. The Peavey is better for getting a variety of sounds but has a smaller speaker and the sound is less full. THe Blackstar I've played a few times and I was impressed.

Peace

Mike
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all replies. Btw, i found a cheap jtm 30, like 400$, with vintage 30, new pair of JJ 6EL6 and also new JJ ECC83's. Altough it is told to be too loud, it being cheap and nice... Should i take a look? Or stick with my plan?
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:51 AM

I dunno man, I am in the market for a Blackstar HT-20H right now. It just does some much for the price that you can't go wrong. British and American tones at a turn of a knob, tons of gain that ranges from Blues to Heavy Metal, a clean that sounds great and very Fender like, a nice built-in reverb and so on.

But if the JTM 30 is what you are searching for in terms of sound, it might not be a bad idea. I say hear every clip you can from both amps, and if possible try both out and see what works for you. BTW, the blackstar also has the emulated output that can be very handy for quick recording and late night practices.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Jtm30 look more like an amp to be used with a distortion pedal, and my pedal would stick nice, the thing of that amp which impressed me is celestion v30, and jj tubes. An also price tag... Blackstar ht-5r combo can be nice too, 1/3 of the plan i made if i go used
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 02:11 PM

Don't get too hung up on the price, unless you are on a really tight budget. As I said, you have to buy something that will satisfy your tone wishes. Getting a piece of gear that doesn't really cut it is never a good idea. I learned that the hard way. I had a GT-10, and have a Laney LV-200. Already sold the GT-10 and now I'm selling the LV-200 as well. If I had known better, I could have saved some good money and bought a great amp up front.

If the JTM 30 ticks all the right boxes, go for it. But do hear it first.

Tags
amp , amplifier , british , home&studio , small

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode