Need some help deciding on effects - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Need some help deciding on effects

Hi guys.
Was wondering if I could get some advice on effects. I had to sell my rig a year ago because of money issues and now I am putting new rig together. Last thing I need to get is effects but I have been on the fence about processor vs pedals. If I did go with pedals I am concerned with things like if true bypass matters, or analogue vs digital, sound degradation from chaining effects, etc. I have done some research and I see Virtual Sound has a different jack type that boots signal and is supposed to be better than true bypass. But then I see mult-effects like the M-13 and almost wonder if I should just get a processor. Then you have the pedal people saying processors are no good, then the multi-effects people say the opposite. I really don't know what to do. I have played both processors and pedals before (owned both types of setups), but I have not played one of the expensive ones (Like the M-13) or any processor in awhile. I know the 1st thing I will be told is go play them, which I have for the most part, and I'm still undecided.

I'll be playing a Carvin ST300 w/ Evos temporarily through a new series Peavey Bandit (such a great amp for the money) and soon a Blackstar HT-60 Lead. I will be doing some home recording, studio recording, and small to medium gigs. Last effects setup I had consisted of an ISP Decimator, Boss compressor, Metal Muff, Small stone and clone, and a Boss octave.

Any options on multi-effects vs pedals and general pedal discussion is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Need some help deciding on effects

It doesn't matter what strangers think, go to a store and test whatever you want.
Your ears are only..........yours.
People should stick a sign with those words in every forum
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:30 AM

Reviews: 12

I prefer to build a pedal board to my own liking and not have some predetermined fx paramaters all in one convenient box.

Just a few pro/cons:

Some people love rack gear because its relatively simple to use (at the basics), convenient, and most of the time provides a cleaner signal path.

Some people (like me) love building their own pedal board... but usually are plagued with a ton of cables, buffers and whatever.

Some people love multi efx processors like the Boss GT series or line 6 HD500 etc because it's sort of a medium between the above 2.

It's what you find you enjoy playing the most; honestly man. Go in to a local store and try some out..maybe youtube a couple reviews. However, I will say that there seems to be alot of people that go the rack way when recording in studio...but again 100% preference.
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 04:22 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Analog pedals all the way! They have a more organic tone--period! If you want a kick-butt distortion pedal, then you need to try the Electric Ear-Candy modified Boss DS-1. You can even get custom painted enclosures.

post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:30 AM

If you've tried both and like both, I'd say go for what gives you more options for the money.

I'd love to own that M13, I've wanted it since it first came out. I've also messed around a good amount on the Digitech RP500 and Boss ME-70 (both are $300). The Digitech can record direct through usb. They both sound really good. The distortions definitely surprised me on the RP500. In a blind taste test, it's hard to determine which is the original and which is modeled. When I record, I just use Pod Farm for everything. Does it sound better than analog stuff? I don't know, but it sounds damn good to me. It's definitely a lot easier to use. The one thing about mutli-effects (at least for me) is I'll have some fun trying everything out, but in the end, I'll only really use a handful of the features.

But then there's also your individual pedals/rack stuff that the multi-effects just can't do. Stuff like a Boss Metal Zone, ISP Decimator, dbx 15 band eq, that tube screamer everyone seems to like, etc... This stuff is great, but it can also deplete your wallet quite fast.

A lot of discussions like this are similar to the Edge vs Edge Zero people. Most people will only use what they grew up playing with and everything else sucks balls and you're stupid for using it. Then there's going to be the "mine costs more, so it's better" people.

When I started, I'd have the 10 pedals all hooked up in a row, then I started using a multi-effects thing because it was easier and sounded just as good to me. Now, I don't care for too much effects. Just the sound of some nice Dimarzio's and real tube distortion, there's nothing sweeter. I am crazy about reverb though. I'm still on the hunt for what I hear in my head.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 06-25-2011 at 06:44 AM.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:38 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyordeath View Post
Hi guys.
Last thing I need to get is effects but I have been on the fence about processor vs pedals.

Boutique Pedals are the best. Processors and multieffect are crap, you can not get the best out of this.

Quote:
If I did go with pedals I am concerned with things like if true bypass matters, or analogue vs digital, sound degradation from chaining effects,

What you need to do for sound degradation is to use a buffer. Every serious pro player is using one (trust me). That allow you to use longer cables and you always have the tone of your amp.
Recomendation for a buffer:
http://www.wamplerpedals.com/other-e...an-buffer.html

Quote:
Then you have the pedal people saying processors are no good, then the multi-effects people say the opposite. I really don't know what to do. I have played both processors and pedals before (owned both types of setups), but I have not played one of the expensive ones (Like the M-13) or any processor in awhile. I know the 1st thing I will be told is go play them, which I have for the most part, and I'm still undecided.

Multieffects and processors are not the way to go if you want a a particular distortion, if you want a particular delay, if you want a particular chorus, compressor... If you want a pro sound, get boutique pedals and use a buffer. That's the best way you are gonna sound.

Quote:
Last effects setup I had consisted of an ISP Decimator, Boss compressor, Metal Muff, Small stone and clone, and a Boss octave.

Those are very crappy pedals if you allow me to say it. Stay away from boss, they suck big time. If you want to sound marvelous, get wampler pedals. That guy make killer pedals that sound good.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:45 AM
Banned

Stock BOSS pedals do suck, but modified ones are killer--if you get the right mods done. Where do you think Brian Wampler started?

post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:46 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Stock BOSS pedals do suck, but modified ones are killer--if you get the right mods done. Where do you think Brian Wampler started?

When you need to mod something, is because sound like crap, right?

post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_freak_forever View Post
Boutique Pedals are the best. Processors and multieffect are crap, you can not get the best out of this.

If you want a pro sound, get boutique pedals and use a buffer. That's the best way you are gonna sound.
Cause we're all rich and can afford to spend a couple grand on pedals alone. A good multi-effect can get you most of the way there and at a quarter of the price. This is like the Line 6 vs Axe FX debate. Does the Axe sound better? Yes. Does it sound $1000 better? I don't know about that.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_freak_forever View Post
When you need to mod something, is because sound like crap, right?

That's not the point. When you can pick up a used pedal for $10.00 and spend another $5.00 on parts and get boutique pedal tones as opposed to spending $200 on a pedal--the means justify the end.

post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Dear God another thread with people trying to turn personal tastes into facts.

There's no good or crap, we all have different tastes so what's good to one is crap to the other.
Personal tastes are not facts, pedals are not better than multi-efx and vice versa.

Analogue pedals have a more organic sound where?
At the stage?
At the stage nobody can tell what pedal you're using and if I cover your eyes and change your analogue pedals to a multi-efx you'd never notice the difference, already did that and people couldn't tell.
In the studio?
In the studio while trying different effects I already recorded players with analogue and digital choruses/flangers/delays and none of them including me could tell a difference after recorded and some of those players chose the digital one thinking it was the analogue one.
In your bedroom?
Yep maybe but still if I turned the light off you won't be able to tell me which one is analogue or digital UNLESS they had an expecific effect.

I don't know why some people(all around the world lol) think human ears are like the Terminator ears, they think that difference is huge because their eyes read analogue or digital so their brains follow more their eyes than their ears, if they were blind I bet a lot of times they'll say some digital pedals sound better than analogues.

Again there's no good or crap, personal tastes are not facts, what is awesome to one is crap to the other, you play an analogue and a digital pedal and pick up the one you like the most, it doesn't matter if it's analogue, digital or a................pod
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:43 AM

^^^This guy gets it^^^
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 07:47 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Dear God another thread with people trying to turn personal tastes into facts.

There's no good or crap, we all have different tastes so what's good to one is crap to the other.
Personal tastes are not facts, pedals are not better than multi-efx and vice versa.

Analogue pedals have a more organic sound where?
At the stage?
At the stage nobody can tell what pedal you're using and if I cover your eyes and change your analogue pedals to a multi-efx you'd never notice the difference, already did that and people couldn't tell.
In the studio?
In the studio while trying different effects I already recorded players with analogue and digital choruses/flangers/delays and none of them including me could tell a difference after recorded and some of those players chose the digital one thinking it was the analogue one.
In your bedroom?
Yep maybe but still if I turned the light off you won't be able to tell me which one is analogue or digital UNLESS they had an expecific effect.

I don't know why some people(all around the world lol) think human ears are like the Terminator ears, they think that difference is huge because their eyes read analogue or digital so their brains follow more their eyes than their ears, if they were blind I bet a lot of times they'll say some digital pedals sound better than analogues.

Again there's no good or crap, personal tastes are not facts, what is awesome to one is crap to the other, you play an analogue and a digital pedal and pick up the one you like the most, it doesn't matter if it's analogue, digital or a................pod
Well said.

The only thing that I would add is 'quality of construction'. By way of a comparison, some of the cheaper Vox Wah pedals I have played (I bought one for my 3 year old son) don't have the same quality of 'construction' as a compared to say, a Cry Baby. It is more likely that pedals with better, more robust components and chassis will last you longer in the years ahead. However sound wise, as has been commented on above, everybody has a different idea of what sounds good, or bad, to them so let your ears do the work.

-Wolfram

-Wolfram

Last edited by Wolfram; 06-25-2011 at 07:59 AM.
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:51 AM

Reviews: 3

digitech makes great processors. line 6 also has the new pod hd floor processors, so that may be something to look into if you're going the processor route.
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I wasn't trying to start any arguments I swear! I just wanted some opinions, was not looking for facts (I agree with 6fingers post). I think I will probably go with pedals. I do not mind buying the more expensive sorts with the better build quality and sound. I can buy one at a time as I can afford them, this is ok with me. What I am concerned about is when I start dropping money on pedals I want them to be good. I know its up to my ears on the sound quality, my concerns are more along the lines of "If I'm going to buy $1000 worth of pedals this year I want to get combinations that give the best signal chain. For example, if I buy a $200 Keeley compressor and throw a non-true bypass digital delay in there along with a virtual sound chorus (they have their own type of switch/jack that's not "true bypass") how is that going to play out for my signal chain?

Tags
help effects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode