Need some opinions on these amps - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Question Need some opinions on these amps

Hi again everyone
I am at this stage in my life where I can sorta start enjoying paying for things without having to borrow money etc and one of those has always been my passion for music and guitar playing. Over the past 2 years I have gone through a few different amps and guitars and have yet to find a suitable sound or feel and maturity is playing a major role I guess.
I only recently bought a Randall MTS head and I must admit not to impressed so far, so I think I may try selling it again as I just sold another guitar which was an Ibanez Jem. I use to have a marshall dsl 50 and really thought it had a nice tone as the tubes were well worn in..........................if I named a couple amps what would you take:

Marshall jcm 800 re-issue
Soldano slo 100
VHT Pitbull
Diezel VH4
mesa triaxis
Hughes & Kettner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:43 AM

Re: Need some opinions on these amps

What kind of music are you gonna be playing?

Where are you playing it...home, venue?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:45 AM

VHT pitbull if you play rock/metal
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

home and band jamming in the garage
I play instrumental solo style but also enjoy some heavy metal and again love a nice clean reverb tone for practising
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:13 AM

Well, of the ones you've mentioned I've played the Diezel, the SLO and I'm currently playing a Splawn Quickrod, which is similar to the Jcm 800, just a bit hotter.

I'd say for current metal the Diezel, but I didn't really care for it for lead work. It felt a little compressed, dark, and weird feeling to me, kinda like I was disconnected from the amp. But that's a personal thing.

For one that can do a lot of things really well, especially lead work...I'd take the SLO in a heartbeat. Creamy overdrive, really good articulation...doesn't go mushy at all. It'll do 80's metal...forward. I love it. It's got a pretty good clean as well. And to my ears anyway, sounds pretty damn good at lower volumes.

As a matter of fact, although I really like the quickrod, I've recently played the Soldano Avenger, which is just the overdrive channel of the SLO...and I'll be picking one up soon. It kills.

The Jcm 800, great crunchy tones. That's one that really excells when you push it hard. It's Marshall goodness. Wouldn't be my first choice, but it's a legendary amp....

So I'd go SLO...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I'm a little surprised as most have tended to opt for the soldano amp, I thought the diezel were in a class of their own but only problem with the soldano is no reverb I love a bit of reverb for solo and practising, I'm pretty sure the slo hasnt got it either except for the fx loop on the back
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

could always buy a boss RV pedal but then they suck a little of your channel away
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 11:56 AM

From those, I'd go with a Soldano.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 03:03 PM

the Pitbull is really nice, I'd still buy the JCM800 and a Maxon OD9 though. You won't regret it unless you want really nice cleans.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 03:43 PM

Have you ruled out a JSX?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

no way I'm up for any opinions on equipment, and from all the feedback I'm getting........................................... .....you find same quality in much cheaper products. The JSX has really good reviews and I have played on a older 5150 Peavey which was sooo beefy and loud, the JSX is the satch model right?
whats the distortion like on them I mean I like sustain and soldano have that for lead guitar playing
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 04:03 AM

Marshall may not be your thing if you're wanting metal, it gives better 60's clean trebly British tones (imo). Mesa would be nice, but could be a little over priced. Though, mesa does have the more aggressive, modern sound you could be after. Or, I'm partial to Hughes and Kettner, they're not bad. I LOVE Alex Lifeson's tone, both clean and dirty, and he uses them exclusively (except for the last record, Snakes and Arrows).

Long story short I say go Mesa
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 AM

Reviews: 1

The 4 in the middle would be nice
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 11:02 PM

The 800 RI is a killer amp, but it's rediculously loud. My 100 watt plexi RI was over powering the band at 3. Im betting the 800 RI would be about the same.
CoBL, I hate to disagree with you, but the JCM800 was THE metal amp at its time and is still used by Slayer, Slash, Zakk Wylde and many others in the Metal community. Alot of people say the JCM 800 was the last REAL Marshall. I have an 800 combo and its an awesome amp. You may want to try to find one of those Robbie. Mine is a 100 watt 2 channel 1X12 with a speaker out so if you need to it will still power a 4X12, and I picked it up for about $725.

I had a triaxis for awhile. it was cool, but not really my thing, plus if you go that route you need to get a separate power amp.

I havent played the rest but I would love to check out an SLO one day, but Im affraid if I did it would come home with me
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:35 AM

Reviews: 6

Well of your list of 6, I own 3 of them so, the TriAxis, VHT Ultra-Lead, & Triamp MK II for sure, along with one I don't have, the VH4. Truth to tell though, if you like Marshall tones (which it sounds like you do), all you need is the Hughes & Kettner Triamp MK II. It's basically a 3 channel modified in all the right ways Marshall with a 2nd mode to choose from for each channel. The JCM800 RI is not to my tastes... I could only use that amp for rhythm. The SLO only sounds good past 6 or 7 on the volume knob which makes it unusable to me.

Tags
alex lifeson , guitar playing , heavy metal , ibanez jem , kettner switchblade , kettner triamp , marshall dsl , mesa triaxis , power amp , soldano slo , tube amp , tube amps , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode