Need some tube head advise - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Need some tube head advise

Hi

I need some help from people who preferrably have one of these amps. I am in the market for a new head and i am down to

H&K Switchblade.... I like the built in effects and that it gives you a ton of tonal options. However i have no chance to play one.

Marshall JVM 410... Played one yesterday and it sounded huge...very nice

Peavey JSX... Like the sound, dislike that it has no reverb, is 600 bucks cheaper than the marshall. I think i would get a G major with it in the effects loop.

Any opinions on any of the 3? Money is not really an issue. I am not really interested in any other amps than these.

If you dislike any of these, please let me know why... not just marshall sucks...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:53 PM

Re: Need some tube head advise

I've never played the H&K before, but I have put a lot of time into the Marshall JVM and Peavey JSX. Out of those two, I'd take the JVM over the JSX any day.

I was very impressed with the JVM, it sounds great at bedroom level and kicks ass cranked! The sound is very refined. Once you crank the gain past about 1 o'clock, it gets a bit muddy but it's got more than enough gain at 12 o'clock for a heavy rhythm sound. It's got typical Marshall cleans, nothing special. It also has digital reverb but sounds pretty damn good. It's about time Marshall put something good out.

The JSX is a nice amp, great cleans. I couldn't get away from that high end buzz no matter how I EQ'd the amp. I tried it with the JSX cab, XXX cab, 5150 cab, and a Marshall 1960A cab.

Out of the JVM and JSX, my vote would go for the JVM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Re: Need some tube head advise

Thanks

Yes one thing i noticed about the JVM was that it was nice at low levels. Haven't tried the JSX at bedroom levels.

Tags
marshall jvm , peavey jsx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode