Need string advice. Corrosion happening very fast! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Need string advice. Corrosion happening very fast!

I'm currently playing Ernie Ball 10's. And I seriously destroy them completely within a set. After even 1-2 hours of playing my G string is visibly rusted (or at least the finish is destroyed, because it's orange over teh most played frets). This is an issue because it no longer flexes properly under tremolo use, and goes out of tune immediately.

Is this an issue with my hands, or me just not reacting well with a specific brand. If so, anyone have recommendations?

Also, if there is a better board to post this on please let me know. I'm new to this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 AM

Reviews: 23
Re: Need string advice. Corrosion happening very fast!

Try putting little desiccant packs in your gig bag or case. I think you can buy them from hardware stores.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. But I don't have a chance to even put it away without changing the strings. I need some strings that will last an entire jam.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 AM

Reviews: 120

I'd say it's your skin, and the oil in it. My cousin slays strings in a very short time whereas I can keep a set going for a few months, and they are still reasonable. Maybe it's time to try coated strings.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapprentice View Post
Try putting little desiccant packs in your gig bag or case. I think you can buy them from hardware stores.
Bad idea, the wood in a guitar needs to be kept at 45% humidity.
Just wash your hands before you play and wipe the neck / strings down between songs with a micro fiber cloth.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:23 AM

Reviews: 14

I have the same problem. I am lucky to get more than a few hours from a set of strings. I switched to coated strings in the 90's, but I have recently been using DR Extra Stringlife string coating. I am getting 20-30 hours playing time from my non-coated string sets now.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 PM

Reviews: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
Bad idea, the wood in a guitar needs to be kept at 45% humidity.
Just wash your hands before you play and wipe the neck / strings down between songs with a micro fiber cloth.
+1 Guitars always need to be kept in a temperate a humidity controlled area to prevent rust and neck warp. I one of those packs came in my PRS case and i mistakenly left it in there and I had to humidify the neck again so it would hold shape well and I wouldn't have to tweak it once a week.

The oils on your hands are to blame for the strings prematurely degrading. Wash your hands with soap and dry them before you play. Then after you play wipe the strings off, that should keep the oils off the strings.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 AM

Reviews: 11

i hope you guys dont own trems. i mean 1 set? they dont even have time to strech so they go out of tune anyway. hmm......surgeons gloves?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Reviews: 10

yeh keep hands clean all times before playing and after play wipe strings down, I use Fast Frett to wipe on the strings then the cloth it comes with to wipe it all down after applied fast fret. My strings stay silver n shiny for months, i use d'addrio XL120's. But yeah main thing make sure hands are squeeky clean before use.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:11 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
+1 Guitars always need to be kept in a temperate a humidity controlled area to prevent rust and neck warp. I one of those packs came in my PRS case and i mistakenly left it in there and I had to humidify the neck again so it would hold shape well and I wouldn't have to tweak it once a week.

The oils on your hands are to blame for the strings prematurely degrading. Wash your hands with soap and dry them before you play. Then after you play wipe the strings off, that should keep the oils off the strings.

*puts on glasses*
It would actually be the chlorides from your persperation. If you live up north, its not the "oils of the snow" causing your car to rust out. Washing your hands still applies, but only for a minute. This is why some people rust out faster then others. People sweat a different amount.

I really want to know where the "oils in your hands" thing came from, as its a ridiculous misconception among the vast majority of guitarists.

General corrosion (rust) requires 2 things. Oxygen and chlorides (any form), not oil.

You want a practical solution? Get a bottle of ammonia or windex (need something basic), and get a rag with some on it and wipe your strings when you are done playing. Not a whole bunch, but enough to clean it. You can do this for your bridge if you find yourself getting pitting corrosion as well. Windex will NOT damage wood, coated or otherwise, and is safe to use on any neck. Not only are you cleaning the salts off, but basic solutions naturally inhibit corrosion up until around 12-13pH level.
*glasses off*

Coated strings will work for a little while, and would last longer then your set list. If it didnt, I would be calling up Elixir and nagging them to death.

richard, does your "Fast fret" cleaner have an ingredients or active ingredients list? barring that, what does it smell like? I sent GHS an email and will see what they say...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:27 PM

Fast Fret is mineral oil, IIRC.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Take at least 1 bath a week and wash your hands before playing................................lol
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:58 PM

I think oiling the strings... I.e. fast fret or something similar Before you play and washing your hands is gonna make a huge difference. Oil will help repel your super acidic hand juice. You may be a new super hero! Acid handman.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 04:48 PM

the same occurs to me.
1 or 2 hours of serios playing is more than ennuf to ruin it all, rusted, black, sh!t.
and the poor hardware on my guitars...
well, i do use WD-40 on strings and hardware each 20min of playing.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:39 PM

elixir nanowebs. havent looked back. i also rust strings within 2 hours. nanowebs last me atleast 2 months

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode