New Ampage - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

New Ampage

hello everyone,

well, basically, although I did like my marshall head I have sold it as it never worked with my 7strings, and as I am predominantly playing them now... well, basically I sold it and am looking for a new amp, something that'll do 7string riffage justice. At the moment I am starting to think of the peavey5150 reissue (6505) but am open to other suggestions! Amp needs to be dirty and aggressive

It's going to get used for metal, in case anyone wondered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:29 PM

Re: New Ampage

5150 sounds like it would do the job... or JSX of course... any chance of picking up a cornford? I dont have anything usefull you could try out at the moment...

One thing that might be useful is that I recently got a Keeley DS-1 ultra that Im pretty impressed with that even makes my carvin belair do a decent metal impression... really tightens up the bottom end on my UV's and 7620.... if you wanna test it for a couple of weeks on whatever amp(s) you get your hands on just give us a shout and Ill send it your way

steve
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:35 PM
rgr

www.kashaamplifiers.com, I have an old Rockmod II preamp of John's and it's by far my favorite. His new line will be out in October - November (at least that's the plan for now). Their sound is definitely more hotrodded Marshall than Mesa.

Roger
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:54 PM

Bogner Uberschall. Mmmmm...Uberschall...the mere sound of it rocks

The things are GREAT with 7-strings. I've had a lot of fun trying them out, but haven't been able to justify getting one (a little heavier sounding than any of the stuff I'm involved with).

To quote Reinhold, the Uberschall truly is "armageddon in a box".
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

i've heard good things about the ubershall from the guys in chimera, they were raving about them, problem is finding out how much the bloody things cost If it really is very very very good I may even consider dumping th triaxis for it?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

@Devo -> I tried the JSX out a while ago, and while it does sound good, it is kind of a bit lacking in character in places and doesn't have a rawness of heaviness about it, it's great for instruemntal guitar etc, but really won't do aggressive and dirty that well, then again, I never did play a 7 through it so that may be a different kettle of fish!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 07:35 PM

Laney - VH100R

Engl maybe?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 05:09 AM

All I have been doing is studying amp clips lately, as I too am on the hunt for a proper amp, but everyone here only seems to get Valvestate Marshalls.

Anyways, I think the Uberschall might be up your alley. It sounds so absolutely huge in most of the recordings I got. Also check out the Framus Cobra. But what are you looking for in your clean and lead sounds?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 02:49 PM
rgr

Valvestate Marshall and Framus or Bogner should not be used in the same post, and never in the same sentence. It's like Yugo and Porsche or Ferrari.

James, what kind of price range are you looking in? Can you pull the artist card and get better deals?

The Madison Divinity is supposed to be pretty killer, I haven't tried one but it seems to get good reviews, www.madisonspeakers.com, definitely geared toward your type of music. The Peavey Penta looks cool, but may not have enough features or gain for you. Laney's are cool too, I had a GH50L for a while. What about the Genz Benz El Diablo? Moving up the price ladder gets you into the Mesa territory, personally, I don't like Rectos, I've heard them sound good on recordings, but they don't do it for me when I've played them. After that you are in the Engl, Soldano, Framus, Bogner, Budda, etc... range. The Superdrive 80 is a smokin' amp, again, don't know if it has enough features for you, but the tone is godly. The 45 sounds cool too with the KT66s and ss or tube rectifier.

Again, I'm saving my pennies for a Kasha when they come out. My old RM II is rockin' my world, and that's through a MosValve power amp. You might contact John and see what's up for the European market.

Later,
Roger
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

At the moment artist deals may be a bit tough untill the new band rolls properly, but the artist card can definately be pulled at some point. However, Bogner don't do deals from what I know and for touring finding a company that'll do tour support is very important.

The Ubershall does sound like it is right up my street though!

Sound wise for rythm I am looking for something that has a good bottom end to it, but also has a dirty aspect to it, aggressive sounding basically. Not a dual rec, i've really grown away from them as they really are a one trick pony. Whatever it is, it needs to be able to handle a low A and plenty of fast riffing while keeping the notes defined. And I like my mids as well I seem to find that 7string wise i've had to use fairly thrashy sounds to stop the bottom end muddying up, so I'd like something that'll do the bussiness and be able to use the bass control a bit

Lead, well, always liked a fairly thick lead sound, but to me rythm is more important at the moment as lead sounds can be messed with once there is a good rythm sound.

At the moment I am using a triaxis through a rivera TBR-1 (power amp only) but it's unreliable.

Price wise I can sell gear to obtain other things as I am having a bit of a clear out at the moment
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 01:38 AM

get a ****ing engl fireball or powerball sample them on www.rocksolidamps.com those are the only amps im getting
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 12:51 PM

New Carvin V3's third channel is supposed to be based on an Uberschall.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 11:12 AM

yeah the new carvin is supposed to be nice but i love the engls still
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:47 PM

If you go with the 5150 do the bias mod It opens the amp up alot. before I did the bias mod the amp sounded thin and buzzy but after it put some balls on it for shure.You can find diagrams easy just google it I did mine my self and only took an hour at the most
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 02:17 PM

I can vouch for the Engl Powerball.
It crushes.

Secondly, I'd highly recommend the Randall RM100, the ability to swap "modules" (preamps) and choose your own tones <I have the RM4, but the RM100 is the head version of it> is whip ass. If I had to part with all my gear except one amp, I'd keep my Randall over all others.

(I also have a Boogie Road King that's pretty cool if you like Boogie tone...but for what it sounds like you want, I'd say the Powerball...)

Tags
bogner uberschall , boogie road king , engl powerball , genz benz , power amp , rivera tbr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode