New To Computer Recording - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

New To Computer Recording

Hello guys,

I'm a serious musician who wants to start recording. My dad used to be an active musician , and he recorded alot back in the 70's/80's. Because of this, I am fortunate to start off with some OK/decent gear, such as two SM57's. He's taught me about mic placement, etc. However, he is just as clueless as I am when it comes to the whole digital/computer recording.

I want to be able to mic my amp, record it, master it, and use drum and bass loops to create my own songs. I've heard alot about the PreSonus stuff around here. I was looking at the Inspire, until I heard many here mention the Firebox. Is the extra money worth it to get the Firebox if you are doing what I'm doing?

As far as software, I'm starting to understand the whole VSTi/DXi things and how you can "ReWire" them to a host program. However, I do not know which host program would be best suited for me. I'd really like to keep costs down as much $200 max for software. I've played around with Cubase SE, Sonar Home Studio 4, and FL Producer, but I'm so lost at this computer recording stuff that I can't prefer one over the other.

For example, can I make drum loops within Sonar Home Studio or Cubase, or do I need a sequencer like FL?

Also for example, which is better for my situation, Cubase SE or Sonar Home Studio 4? I'm lost with all of this.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Wade

Oh yeah, here are my computer specs if needed

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
2GB OCZ PC3200
74GB Western Digital Raptor SATA 10,000rpm HDD

Last edited by waylay00; 07-04-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 01:21 PM

Re: New To Computer Recording

I would say you would probably want to add another hard drive just for your recording stuff. At least a 7200 RPM one and high capacity as full songs and works start taking up a lot of space and you should keep your recorded stuff seperate from the drive with your windows files so they don't try to access each other at the same time.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Banned

Re: New To Computer Recording

I was totaly in the same place as you two years ago. Here is what I did. bought a pice of **** and got frustrated. Went to the local guitar center and asked questions (and they either did not know or gave me wrong information) and after a while I finally got smart. I did two things that really helped me make an informed decision; 1. I got CD ROMs on every platform out there from cuebase to digital performer (cost a bit but I was informed) 2. I called sweetwater and they assigned me a sales engineer (I'm not special they do it for everybody), My guy is Brad Every. I talked to him for at least 30 hours before spending a penny. In case your wondering I went with a Pro Tools LE system and I am very happy with it. The secrets of the pros modern recording and mixing DVD is also very helpfull. Check 'em out.

Tags
local guitar center

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode