Ibanez JEM Forum banner
5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  linthat22 
#1 ·
Jemsite, help me out please. This is a thread for some help on half stacks. I'm looking to buy a half stack package soon, and I have a few questions to ask. Which half stack package from my top four list below has the nicest effects loop? Which one has the clearist clean channel and the darkest gain channel? Does anybody have some sound clips of these amps, or know where I can get them? Finally, which package is overall the best period?

1. Randall RH200G2/R412CX Straight Cab.
2. Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab.
3. B-52 LG-100A/412 Slant Cab.
4. Ibanez TB100H Tone Blaster Slant Cab.

Thanks in advance for all the help! :D

#4 ·
Go with Randall brotha. I've had mine for years and nothing beats it. I don't run any effects pedals or anything. For some reason the amp sounds better the louder you turn it up, plus no tubes (hehe).

BTW, I have an old RG100 head. And I have used my Universe through it for years.

#5 · (Edited)
I was thinking of going with either the Ibanez or Randall. The Randall 4x12 cabinet is straight, the one thing that I don't like about the Randall package. Everything else about the Randall I like. I do like the Ibanez package too, because it also has an effects loop like the Randall. My setup would be Guitar->Amp, GT-8->Effects Loop. Does anyone have some sound clips of these amps I can listen to?

When using the GT-8, do I plug it into the guitar input on the amp, or plug it into effects loop in the back of the amp? Thanks again! :D

#7 ·
I'll have to go to Guitar Center and try all the amps out anyway, but for now any more help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has used the effects loop on any of these amps please let me know how good they are.

**BTW, When using the GT-8, do I plug it into the guitar input on the amp, or plug it into effects loop in the back of the amp?** Thanks again! :D

#12 ·
linthat22 said:
Dude that's kinda harsh. There are great sounding solid state and tube amps, so condemning one over the other is pigeon holding ya.
Fates Warning and Iron Maiden got some pretty good sounds out of solid state Gallien Kruegar amps from the late 80s. If I was looking on a budget those would certainly be something I would like to check out.

#14 ·
linthat22 said:
Dude that's kinda harsh. There are great sounding solid state and tube amps, so condemning one over the other is pigeon holding ya.
Whys it harsh? Its helping him make a desicsion that he wont regret. Solid state half stacks are pointless. You end up growing out of them and getting tired of the tone quickly and then you need a new amp again. A good tube amp you can keep for life.

In short, GO TUBE!!! You wont regret it in the long run.

#15 ·
ElectriK said:
Whys it harsh? Its helping him make a desicsion that he wont regret. Solid state half stacks are pointless. You end up growing out of them and getting tired of the tone quickly and then you need a new amp again. A good tube amp you can keep for life.

I have hated every solid state amp I played. They sound kinda... flat. On most tube amps I find I can get at least one killer or near killer tone out of, if not more. Plus I love the sound of power tubes pushed to the limit especially, a sound that no SS or digital can come even close to replicating.

Plus nothing compresses as good as tubes.

#16 ·
+1 for tubes. Look in the classified section here, or on E-B, or check a local dealer that deals in used gear.
How much were you looking to spend?
Chances are you can get a used tube rig for near what you'll pay for a brand new solid-state. You won't grow tired of the sound, and it will have balls....that's the thing, tube amps have balls, be it half-stack, combo, or whatever....

#18 ·
bonehead189, a suggestion:

try and find a Fender Roc-Pro 1000 head and pair it with a decent cab for a half stack that sounds great and is easy on the wallet. The matching Fender GE412 is really bad sounding IMO. This head can be found for about $200 used and has a tube in the preamp section. I used the one I had for a few years for rehearsals.

#19 ·
ElectriK said:

Maybe I'm just really satisfied with my old Randall head, it's gotten better as time has went on. Guess I'm a die hard, lol :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.