New Line 6 Spider Valve - Page 5 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 12:38 PM

Re: New Line 6 Spider Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
You obviously haven't spent much time playing through/listening to the old MusicMan guitar amps - Leo's revolutionary solid state pre-amp, tube power amp thingys from the late seventies - they are diabolically horrible - in almost every aspect!

In fact Leo, in typical fashion, designed them to be pretty much indestructible, so most of the damn things are still out there casting a shadow over some poor picker's life!
Hehe, i don't doubt for a second that a bad preamp can ruin the tone completely. I was just saying that a well dialled in tone on the POD can sound even better when run though a quality valve power amp - like the 2:90.

I must admit, for anything other than completely clean guitar tones, i would favour a modelling preamp over an old style solid state preamp anyday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned

ive just swapped my jem555 for a line6 flextone111,im well impressed with it great range of tones.
post #63 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 PM

Just bought the spider valve 212.haven't road tested it yet but im pretty pleased with it so far.I was going to go for a peavey valveking head and cab but the spider valve had far better sounds.Its also far more versatile than a standard tube amp.
The tones are definetly pod like, but with far more sustain and richness.
Try one out at some volume, you may be surprised like i was
Contrary to what other people say, clean tones are great with some tweaking and its the greatest range of tones ive heard on any amp, ever.
post #64 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:31 PM

My guitar teacher was in Marlowe, which is basically the band that kick-started South African rock, and he reckons the spider valve is awesome, so there's a respectable opinion
post #65 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:35 PM

I've played a lot of stuff, and I don't think the Spider Valve is bad at all. I'm still trying to get around to getting one soon.
post #66 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 PM

Had a chance to try one, recently, and really put it through the works. Just so-so, in my opinion. Seems kinda sterile to me.
post #67 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:44 PM

Agreed. It's essentially a near ripoff of the Atomic Reactor amp. Atomic did what Line 6 is doing now like...probably 5 years ago, and they did it better. To this day I have yet to see a more versatile great sounding rig than an atomic reactor amp paired up with a pod XT. I was kind of excited when the Valve was announced because I would think that Line 6 would make their own digital stuff paired with tubes sound better than Atomic did, but nope. My Atomic Reactor + Pod XT rig stays .
post #68 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:26 PM

I own a Spider Valve 212 and I love it. Lots of great tones. Once you read the manual and learn what the amp models are you can really shape your sound. Sound and quality is a lot better the the SS Spiders. I really wanted a verstatile amp that allows me not to resort to a bunch of pedals and this one does the trick. Guitar, cable, and amp and your all set. My JEM sounds pretty sweet through this amp. Just my opinion.
post #69 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 07:53 AM

I have the 1x12 combo with shortboard and its a great grab n' go. The amp has to be tweaked for maximum tone.
post #70 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
I have the 1x12 combo with shortboard and its a great grab n' go. The amp has to be tweaked for maximum tone.
Have you gigged with it?
post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 03:56 PM

This thread is pointless without some sound clips, so I found these over at the line 6 forum:

http://line6.com/support/thread.jspa?threadID=16751

It sounds good, but still sounds like line 6 all the way...
post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 05:07 PM

I was surprised how dull the cleans are. The few times I played the Spider Valve amps, I never messed with the effects other than adding in a slight amount of reverb. The biggest improvement I noticed was with Insane mode. It's fatter and has more character than the rest of the models. Sounds very fuzzy with the gain past 12 o'clock.
post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
You obviously haven't spent much time playing through/listening to the old MusicMan guitar amps - Leo's revolutionary solid state pre-amp, tube power amp thingys from the late seventies - they are diabolically horrible - in almost every aspect!

In fact Leo, in typical fashion, designed them to be pretty much indestructible, so most of the damn things are still out there casting a shadow over some poor picker's life!
I've heard that they do great cleans, but their distorted tones are godawful.
post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmiester View Post
I was surprised how dull the cleans are. The few times I played the Spider Valve amps, I never messed with the effects other than adding in a slight amount of reverb. The biggest improvement I noticed was with Insane mode. It's fatter and has more character than the rest of the models. Sounds very fuzzy with the gain past 12 o'clock.
The higher gain amp models in general have more texture and definition compared to the spider III. I was once a user of distortion pedals but that stopped with when I got the SV. Also, the reverb too is a huge improvement over the regular spiders III.
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 08:59 PM

so i took a break today and went to guitar center, just to look at gear of course. i was curious on the difference between the line 6 spider III solid state and the valve / tube version. i gotta tell ya....i really dig the solid state more! the tone is just more saturated in metal! i just really like it, can tell right away. and you know...even if the tube is better, i wouldn't pay $400 more! i got a tube half stack mesa that i can use for playing out so to just upgrade the cool practice amp....damn, this would be the one...and i think i may pick it up...found someone who needs to bail on theirs for real cheap.

Steve

Tags
amp head , clean tone , david mccarroll , delay pedal , delay pedals , distorted tone , distorted tones , distortion pedal , high gain amp , ibanez tube screamer , mesa boogie , peavey bandit , peavey valveking , pod pro , power amp , practice amp , preamp gain , preamp tube , rack power amp , shawn lane , tube amp , tube amps , tube power amp , tube preamp , valve amps , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode