New Marshall JVM410 is going away - what should I get? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Re: New Marshall JVM410 is going away - what should I get?

Carvins are not available in Norway - but if that thing sounds as good as it promises its really a lot of amp for the money.

From the Carvin page I found a Guitar Player review of the Carvin, the Engl Invader (which I wanted but could not aford) and the Marshall JVM. (http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/...s/jan-08/33149)

Seems a bit strange (and unfair) but both the Marshall and Engl are substatially cheaper in the states than here in Norway/Europe. That goes specially for the Engl amp which is about 70% more expensive than the JVM. I payed about 1915 USD for the JVM, while a Engl would have costed me about 3280 USD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:19 AM

Mine wasn't any noiseier than a Bogner XTC. Get a noisegate, ISP decimator prorack g = silence.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
Get a noisegate, ISP decimator prorack g = silence.
Yeah - the only problem is that ISP decimator prorack g = a lot of cash

The prorack is more than 1/3 of the price of the JVM - and there's no way I'll have that kind of cash to spare in a while. But I guess the new ISP G string could also help a lot: http://www.isptechnologies.com/decimatorGpedal.htm
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
The best bang for your money will be to get a JSX. The amp is versatile, very easy to use and it will give you that "same sound night after night" you're looking for.

Jimmy
How do you find the JSX for 'heavy' palm muted rhythm? I tried it and for some reason found the 6505+ to be much better suited, maybe I didnt spend enough time with the JSX.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:21 PM

i tried the jsx and while i do agree it is versatile, didn't feel it sounded inherently better than my vintage modern. it sounded ok. maybe i expected more after the amount of hype i've read on this board, but i didn't see what the big fuss was about. definitely a decent amp, but i've heard better gain sounds. keep in mind i'm a reformed metal player, and look more for slightly more than medium gain nowadays.

i will say i dug the fact that it had 2 inputs and that even the ultra channel could be tamed down to crunch channel levels (by basically turning the gain down to 1 or 2), but i wasn't blown away by the tone. it's too bad too because it was on clearance for $1000, which seemed like a great price (and at guitar center no less). i will probably go back and give it another go round in the future, see if my opinion changes.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Ok - I'm lovin the JVM more and more. Seems like not is the tone dramatically improving as the amp gets played in, but the feedback problems are backing of as well.

And as for versatillity - I don't think you can get much better than this amp.

Now I'm thinking this was not a very bad buy after all
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:19 AM

Reviews: 65

Especially since you can order a new JVM from soundstore UK including shipping for 1050 Euros now... So reselling prices will hit bottom soonish....
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 AM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: New Marshall JVM410 is going away - what should I get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
How do you find the JSX for 'heavy' palm muted rhythm? I tried it and for some reason found the 6505+ to be much better suited, maybe I didnt spend enough time with the JSX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
i tried the jsx and while i do agree it is versatile, didn't feel it sounded inherently better than my vintage modern. it sounded ok. maybe i expected more after the amount of hype i've read on this board, but i didn't see what the big fuss was about. definitely a decent amp, but i've heard better gain sounds. keep in mind i'm a reformed metal player, and look more for slightly more than medium gain nowadays.

i will say i dug the fact that it had 2 inputs and that even the ultra channel could be tamed down to crunch channel levels (by basically turning the gain down to 1 or 2), but i wasn't blown away by the tone. it's too bad too because it was on clearance for $1000, which seemed like a great price (and at guitar center no less). i will probably go back and give it another go round in the future, see if my opinion changes.
The JSX is by no means a "Metal" amp (consider who created it). With that being said, you can certainly get any tone out of it that you would want (to a degree) and then enhance it with a stomp box or two, if needed. There have been times I've walked into a GC and I've heard people getting metallica-like tones out of a JSX combo, so food for thought. Personally, I haven't been into the metal sound in a long long time. For some reason, I've been focused on getting a nice tone that allows for screams here and there but nothing too crazy. For me, the JSX satisfies that craving and allows me to explore other sounds without having anything hooked into it.

I hope this helps

Jimmy
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trondulseth View Post
@Tank - I've also looked at the Brunettis, but like Engl they are out of my price range right now.
Check out the Screamer 50. It sounds like exactly what you want

I've got one and I'll never need another amp again.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Especially since you can order a new JVM from soundstore UK including shipping for 1050 Euros now... So reselling prices will hit bottom soonish....
Hi,
Do you have the web address for this company, did a google search and cant find anything other than the Finnish site.
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 09:21 AM

Reviews: 65

Here you go:

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~...0H~ID~5714.asp

730 pounds is about 1000 Euros.
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 10:47 AM

The JVM is an excellent head.

The squealing does sound like a microphonic tube. I have one and it doesn't squeal at all. Would not swap that thing for any other head, certainly NOT for a JSX. Have one of these too.
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

The JVM is a keeper now!!! Awesome head in every way. I'm very happy I did not manage to sell it before finding out.

Tags
alesis quadraverb , high gain amp , isp decimator , johnson millenium , jsx combo , marshall amp , marshall jvm , palm mute , peavey jsx , stomp box , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode