Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  screamndemon69 
#1 ·
I've never been a Marshall guy and in fact I'm usually fairly harsh on Marshall most of time but I finally broke down and bought a Marshall Zakk stack. I came home yesterday and was happily suprised by a UPS delivery that I actually wasn't expecting yet.

I've never owned a Marshall stack and I figured I'd snag a Limited Zakk version when the oppurtunity arose. I snapped a couple pics to share ;)

Looks like a full sized stack from that angle :mrgreen:

I wasn't getting much of a tone with my RG20th but these active pups in my ESP EC-1000 seemed to really bring this amp to life. Defintely a night and day difference in tone with the actives over the passives.

See less See more
#4 ·
It sounds OK at low volumes and not being real tubes (Marshall should make a tube version - 20wtts with 2 1x12 cabs) the volume doesn't affect the tone much.

I bought it for the novelty. I wanted a cool practice amp and I have wanted a Micro Marshall since the late 80's seeing the red versions back in High School. I wasn't expecting a monster tone but with the EMG 81/60 set in the ESP I get a fairly heavy tone - suprisingly heavy actually.

I've personally NEVER liked the Marshall solid state stuff but for fun and the absurdness of a "Spinal Tap-esque" size I couldn't pass it up :mrgreen:

#7 ·
Classic :lol:

A pair of these Micro's would be sweet!! I'm am sooooo tempted to actually bring it to a gig and pick up a Mikro Ibanez, again, for the absurdity of it all ;)

#9 ·
Heh, that's cool. :D What does one of the micro Wyldes go for? It's sort of a badass looking practice rig. :D

I agree, one of those with a tube preamp section modeled on a gain-modded JCM and a pair of EL84's in the power amp would RULE. I'd even buy one, and I'm a Mesa whore. :D

#10 ·
I'm a Mesa whore as well. My next REAL amp(s) will be a new F-50 Mesa 1x12 and an Express 5:50 Mesa medium head.

These are limited runs in the "Zakk" finish for $350 respectively. I paid $50 more for the limited cool looks over the $300 price of the basic plain ones.

I was close to pi$$ing myself when Peavey almost released a tube version (20wtts) with two 1x12 cabs of the 5150 when EVH was still endorsed. He didn't sign off on it so the only ones that got made are the ones EVH himself owns - :mad: - selfish prick :razz: ;)

#14 ·
[Off-topic]

Have you played the Express 5:50 yet? I've only played the 5:25, but it was unimpressive enough that I didn't even bother to give the 5:50 next to it a try. The clean is almost as good as the F-30 clean (which flat-out rules), but while I could see the "Blues" mode being fun in 5-watt mode cranked waaaay up with a Strat, the "burn" mode was sort of an anemic version of the F-series distortion that proceeded it. If you're already planning on buying a F-series, I don't really see the point of going for the 5:50 as well, especially since even in 5-watt mode it's still impractically loud for a bedroom amp. I'd say either just get an F-series (the F-30 is probably both loud enough that you can use it for anything you'd use the F-50 for, yet low wattage enough so you can still drive the poweramp a bit), or get an F-series and something else, like maybe a Lone Star Special or Stiletto Ace, that's different enough from the F-series so it makes it worth having both.

[/off-topic]

#15 ·
:lol:

You guys must think I have some very magic water ;)

Maybe I'll pour some on my ......... 8O

#20 ·
I don't expect anyone to take this micro stack too seriously - I don't.

I do have to say, for what it is (small 15wtt practice amp w/ 2x10's), it isnt a bad amp at all. Once you add in how cool the novelty of it is, I'm grinning from ear to ear with it. :)

I put the hang tags in the little bag that has the warranty card and other neat stuff (Zakk sig picks, Zakk poster) and stashed it away in my drawer full of my pack rat tendency stuff.

I'm not a huge fan of Zakk but this amp definitely has a high "cool-factor" to it.

off topic a little:
I decided last night that I prefer Jake E. Lee over Zakk on sounding more authentic and bringing respect to Randy's playing. I looked up a ton of old clips on youtube and other than the orginal Randy stuff, Jake kicked ass while maintaining the respect level Randy's music deserved. Zakk didn't seem to have that same respect (or skill). Just MHO.

#25 ·
I don't expect anyone to take this micro stack too seriously - I don't.

I do have to say, for what it is (small 15wtt practice amp w/ 2x10's), it isnt a bad amp at all. Once you add in how cool the novelty of it is, I'm grinning from ear to ear with it. :)

I put the hang tags in the little bag that has the warranty card and other neat stuff (Zakk sig picks, Zakk poster) and stashed it away in my drawer full of my pack rat tendency stuff.

I'm not a huge fan of Zakk but this amp definitely has a high "cool-factor" to it.

off topic a little:
I decided last night that I prefer Jake E. Lee over Zakk on sounding more authentic and bringing respect to Randy's playing. I looked up a ton of old clips on youtube and other than the orginal Randy stuff, Jake kicked ass while maintaining the respect level Randy's music deserved. Zakk didn't seem to have that same respect (or skill). Just MHO.
Zakk is actually a self confessed randy rhoads fanatic. Its just that jake has far superior technique to zakk. But zakk has a nice tone, and his own pentatonic style. Its just different for me.

#22 ·
I'll give it a shot ;)

I don't have a 4x12 anymore (getting to old to lug the damn thing around) but I do have a 2x12 cab Peavey Custom made for me based on the Wiggy design and an older Mesa 2x12 Halfback (very coveted cab by those who know what it is ;) ).

#24 ·
Cool - I'll give it a try :)

Here's my halfback cab and my live pedal board with a few friends:

#26 ·
I was listening to specifically the Crazy Train solos from both players from numerous clips and Zakk's sounded like some of my students playing it (a little exaggerated - but not much ;) ).

I do respect Zakk for his skill but I'm not impressed when he is side by side with Jake - although they both smoke my lame a$$ all day long ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.