Are new marshalls really that bad? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Are new marshalls really that bad?

I have heard that the new marshalls aren't that good...is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Gex

Re: Are new marshalls really that bad?

Well, of course, tone is subjective. They are very different from the old Marshalls, which will make people think they aren't good.

I think they're usable. I like JCM2000's, but they certainly arent on my list of things I want. If anything, There are several old Marshalls I'd buy before buying a JCM2000.

Reliablility is another issue. From the information ive gathered, they arent the most reliable amps.

They're decent amps. There is just a WHOLE lot of better things out there.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 08:53 PM

i got a tsl100, and im not complaining

once again

"Personal Choice"
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 09:07 PM

I have a 1959SLP, and I have never been happier with any amp.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 05:03 AM

The connections in the last models are very poor so techs usually have to reconnect them when something fails. This is sad but great for the techs

I personally would not buy the current Marshall amps. It's just because there are better options right now.

The only great amp in the last 25 years is the 30th Anniversary IMHO (this is why I bought it). No silicon in the signal path & each channel routed directly through to the valve powered heart.

It is in any case the same with Fender IMHO. This why I bought a '67 Bassman. There's no way a new one can "sing" like it.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 05:54 AM
dex

The biggest problem with the new JCM2000 (also was an issue with the JCM900) is the really cold biasing to facilitate easy valve change and to ensure that you can just stick any old valve and get it to work.
If a JCM2000 is outfited with decent matching valves and is biased properly you'll be amazed how sweet it'll sound.
Also I'd go for the DSL these days rather than the TSL but that's a personal preference.

ilia
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 08:12 AM

lately, I seriously thinking of never buying a consumer amplifier anymore, be it a $2000 or whatever... every pro that owns such an amp always goes through a list of modifications (transofrmers, capacitors, etc...) that costs five times the amp... I suspect that they are more and more frequently made in the far east... moreover, you pay for the brand

I'd suggest to check for boutique amps, made by gifted engineers with top components and sold directly, without the distribution and brand mark-up... that's what I plan to do, at least...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 09:00 AM

I've been to my guitar shop lately... They are quite nice they let me try all of their guitars even the expensive one.. what a privilege .. They happen to have a new marshall (made in Indonesia) and the used marshall (made in us of A)... The indonesian ain't that good but it's a new model (I happen to not notice the model and compared it to the used Marshall... The used amp is 10 yrs old I think.... according to the guitar tech... Thinking of getting the used one
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 09:17 AM

I played a JCM2000 yesterday and I was extremely disappointed. I mean, I know amps like that are designed to be cranked but this thing needed to be seriously pushed to get anything resembling a good tone, and for a master volume amp that's pretty unacceptable.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 10:53 AM

This is what has put me off of buying a new Marshall. I was/am after a 1987x reissue head. And the reports I have heard about the newer ones are not very good at all. I may end-up looking for an older re-issue, or one the original 70's ones. I dont know yet, but I havent been impressed by many modern/new Marshalls, thats for sure. Its a shame really, cutting corners like what they are doing will only get them a worse and worse reputation. Which is a shame for such a previously heralded company.

I know one things for sure, what with the quality of newer Marshalls, I will probably be getting an amp from another company e.g. ENGL, THD, Laney. Because for the price they are awesome. And lots of other people will too. More and more people will flee from Marshall if it continues.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:00 AM

Well when my band recorded our E.P, we had a choice of using my JCM900 or a TSL60. We changed to the JCM900 instantly because it gave more clarity, more punch and better distortion. The TSL60 sounded weak and thin.

I'm looking out for a new amp, Laney's and ENGL's are the two i'm most interested in. So if anyone was thinking of getting a new amp, i'd recommend something else, you can get a better amp with the money you would pay for a new Marshall
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliciousteve
So if anyone was thinking of getting a new amp, i'd recommend something else, you can get a better amp with the money you would pay for a new Marshall
Exactly!
And I think thats a real shame. All because they want to cut corners so that they can cut costs and save as much money as possible. If they are not too careful.......they will take a drastic cut in customers too!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
Exactly!
If they are not too careful.......they will take a drastic cut in customers too!
Looks to me like that is already happening. I always liked Marshalls...that's all I ever owned because they WERE better amps. I just bought a Carvin Legacy.....so you can add me to the LOST customers list
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 02:01 AM

lets not be so harsh :P
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
All because they want to cut corners so that they can cut costs and save as much money as possible. If they are not too careful.......they will take a drastic cut in customers too!

hehehehhee

but marketing is a much more complicate matter than you think
if the saved money is more than the lost turnover, they win!

morevoer, the Marshall brand is very strong in the mind of kids and sunday guitarists, because of the advertising, satriani, zakk wylde...
for every pro/conscious customer that they loose maybe ten sixteen years old spend years of saving in a Valvestate or whatever, to sound as cool as Kirk Hammet, LOL... little they know that the endorser get $10,000 worth of amp modification by engineers like John Suhr, and they can't judge what's a good sound from what is not... and don't forget the cost slashing...

I think that Marshall is winning its marketing battle big time!

the only thing that an intelligent guitarist can do is forget the brands and go for true amplifiers, built by boutique companies for an honest amount of money...

ENGL surely is interesting, as is Genz-Benz, THD, Matchless... but I'd suggest going even more underground, in true custom shops

for example, this is where I'm planning to buy from
http://www.masottiamp.it
lots of pros, not only in Italy, have ditched their supercool branded Marshall for a Masotti...
This little custom shop doesn't even have distribution, to cut the supply chain mark up (that can be up to 50% of the price!)... no brand, no advertising, no paid endorsers, no fake vintage look, no made in china PCBs... only tone and high-end high-durability components... this is the only true answer to Marshall and the others: niche Marketing vs. mass Marketing...

I'm sure that in the USA you have plenty of gifted amp engineers, so search on, there must be some wonderful and reasonably priced amps out there...

Tags
boss pedal , boss pedals , custom shop , guitar shop , guitar tech , john suhr , keeley mod , kirk hammet , marshall amp , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode