New old amp day - '65 Silvertone 1482 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
New old amp day - '65 Silvertone 1482

I just picked up a poor man's Tweed Deluxe, a '65 Silvertone 1482. These still affordable vintage amps are 15 watt dual 6V6 powered, tube rectified, point to point wired tone machines with a 12" speaker. They are two channel amps and have a nice tube driven tremolo. They do both clean and mean beautifully. They were made for Sears by Danelectro and are their version of a Fender Tweed Deluxe. It's a small light amp that sounds so damn big it's crazy. I picked up this totally mint one locally for $375. It was packed away in it's original box for decades and looks and sounds like a brand new amp! I've been looking for a small amp that I could live with for a long time and this one is THE PERFECT little grab and go jam amp. Here are a few quick clips I posted. I haven't had a chance to really sit down and play with this yet so the clips are short and a little rough but there's enough there to show how the amp sounds......well some of it. It's cleans also kill with my Strat.

‪1482 jumpered Aerosmith.wmv‬‏ - YouTube

‪Silvertone 1482.wmv‬‏ - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 02:54 PM

Re: New old amp day - '65 Silvertone 1482

A little steep for a Silvertone, but it is clean. Enjoy.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

I know it was slightly more than the usual going price but considering it's condition I felt it was well worth it. The guy I bought it from found it cleaning out a dead relative's house. It was packed in it's original box for most of the past 46 years. He wasn't a player but his brother-in-law is and tipped him off that vintage tube amps are worth money. He priced it at EBay plus a little more based on the fact the thing is a time capsule piece. It's 100% original right down to it's Silvertone labeled RCA tubes. I don't think anyone ever used it. I was planning to dicker but didn't bother after hearing it. I figured it would need a cap job but it sounds as healthy as a horse and the caps look perfect. I knew I probably would never have another shot at a dead mint vintage PTP wired tone machine like this and wasn't going to let $75 scare me off of it. Besides, I was actually hunting for a Deluxe Reverb and was ready to pay a lot more so I feel like I actually saved some dough on this.

Last edited by Riffraff; 07-29-2011 at 05:20 PM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 06:56 PM

Well, it DOES need a cap job, don't fool yourself. Anything over 15 years old and you are asking for the electrolytics to give you problems. Tone stack caps no biggie, if your power caps go, they will most likely take the PT with them.

Its in great shape cosmetically, but have a tech go through it for you, a little now can save a lot later.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

I know about the caps. I changed them all myself in an old Sound City L120 I used to own. It was very obvious they were shot. The amp was sterile sounding and lifeless. It had bad distortion, ghost notes and 60 cycle hum....basically every symptom in the book. I'm hoping to keep this amp as stock as I possibly can. Caps seem to be a controversial area. There are some that say you need to change them all after 10 years, even the signal caps. Then there is the other camp that says only change the stuff that's bad and changing them all devalues your amp. I'm more of a change the filter caps when you start noticing symptoms and don't touch the others unless they give you reason to. I plan on playing this thing for a long time and the last thing I want to do is smoke a transformer. It's fused and that should open before damaging it but why take chances, I'll look into it.

Last edited by Riffraff; 07-29-2011 at 08:13 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 PM

I would have the amp serviced. Electrolytic components dry up especially when they are not powered on for long periods of time. I would expect the caps in tha amp to degrade rather quickly. Everything else is so clean and nice, I would hate for you to blow an OT or even a tube for that matter. Another $100 now will save you in the long run.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just have to find a good tech. The last one I brought a vintage amp to never repaired the problem. He just retubed it and ripped off a sextet of Mullards. That was my Sound City. I didn't know any better and trusted him. I figured it sounded bad because it needed tubes. It came back sounding exactly the same way it was before I brought it to him. I stuck it back in the closet for another five years. Then one day I dedcided to figure out what was wrong and did a little research. It had all the symptoms of bad caps. It was only then that I realized how crappy the tech was because I had described the text book condition of bad caps to the tech when I gave the amp to him, even wrote it out just to make sure he had it and didn't forget when he worked on the amp but he just changed all of the tubes (power and preamp) and kept the old ones. I later figured out that that didn't make sense either and I had been ripped off. I got some help online and did it myself. I also learned how to bias it and replaced all of the crappy Chinese glass the tech previously put in. I don't want to replace a bunch of stuff that doesn't need it on this one so I have to find someone I can trust to do the work on this. This experience has made me a little paranoid. This amp is perfect right now and I don't want it screwed up.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 PM

Reviews: 4

Both very sound points...it's Riffraff's amp.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Musikron is right on this one and I know it. I just hate tearing into a vintage virgin. But this is an amp I plan on playing a lot so all of the electrolytics need to be swapped. Especially the filter caps because thay are the ones that will cause additional damage if I have a catastrophic failure on one. The rest will stay unless they act up. Thanks for beating sense into me.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:31 PM

I know its hard to do and seems counter intuitive, but unused is still old. You'll thank yourself when that amp gives you years of trouble free service after the cap job!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

The parts are on the way. I won't have the caps until Monday but it's hard not to plug into it and play. Here's a few more clips from yesterday.

First a modern country
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UMVslwn1Vs
and a rock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgxY7D5n5_w

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode