New pickups and amp needed. Few questions... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

New pickups and amp needed. Few questions...

lo guys.

Im currently using a stock RG570 and a MG30 marshall.

Im happy with the guitar itself, but i feel the stock pickups just dont cut it. Im after a very smooth lead tone, and somthing that i can play rythm on and not have a dry crunchy sound like my stock pickups.

For a while i was looking into getting some EMGs as i think thats a similar tone im after (lead wise), a nice smooth tone that will cut through everything, and some great plam mutted riffs etc.

But then i looked into Dimazio stuff and was quite taken on getting a Tone zone after hearing one and listening to some clips of them, and i was possibly thinking of combining it with somthing like a PAF Pro.

Now im not sure, im a bit of an indisicive person when it comes to stuff like this
the EMG's will be very suited to my Metal playing, yet there a lot more than the dimazios and are active so a bit more hassel installing.

Could you guys give me opinions on this please, what would be a better combo of pickups for mainly Metal, yet some nice smooth leads, ie Mr Vai.

Amp. Hmmm...this topic has been talked about so much, even so that some nice dude made a thead about all the major amps so that people could get a generall idea about them. But i need a bit more detailed advice.

I can only spend around £800 (and thats probably pushing it) so idealy id like to get somthing second hand as i could get somthing that might normally be out of my league if i as to buy new.

Now, im not all that sure as to what will suit my needs as i dont kno a great deal about amps and havnt tried out any really.

I generally play a lot of Metal, and Racer X type stuff, kinda heavy but not off the scale type stuff. And occasionally some Vai, Satch and the more melodic type of snitz.

I play mostly at home although im after an amp that i can play at small gigs, school, pubs etc. So i dont need a full stack, just maybe a head and a cab, or a nice combo. Somthing i can play at room level , yet crank up and play in a band situation.

If i had the money id probably go for a Mesa as pretty much all the music i like seems to be comming out of Mesa's . Yet i dont have thousands to spend, and even second hand heads seem to much for me so i think thats mesa's out the picture.

Somthing with similar propities to a Mesa, high gain, smooth lead tone and somthing to really bring out the Metallica type palm mutted riffs

Opinions and advice would be great as im pretty much useless when it comes to equiptment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 12:19 PM

Well, if you can't go with EMG's (which is what I would totally recommend for what you're looking for!) You had a pretty good idea going with the Tone Zone in the bridge and the PAF in the neck. Thats a great conbination and the Tone Zone definitely rips. My only complaint with it is that while its great for a hard chunky rhythm, it doesn't seem to cut through as well for soloing. If you haven't......you may want to check out the http://www.dimarzio.com/f_pickups.html website there and take a look at their new humbucking pickup called the "Drop Sonic". Its fairly new and i'm not sure if anyone in the forum uses it or not, but it sounds pretty kick a$$ and might fit the bill. THen you could all tell us how it is!

Also if you like Vai's lead tone and need something with a good bite have you considered an Evolution in the bridge?
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 12:26 PM

Oh, and for the amp you might want to look into a used older model Mesa Boogie. Like possibly a DC-5 or .50 Caliber + something. You can find those at great prices on eBay and they come in a combo or a head. The lead channel on those amps are outstanding (i've owned both and can attest to that ), and the DC-5 in particular is quite versatile.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Cheers for the reply.
I tried finding some info about the Mesao Models you mentioned and they both sound great although a couple of questions.

I know mesa are renowned for great metal and liquid lead sound which is spot on for me, but how are the clean channels? I want somthing thats pretty versatile to use, i dont play Jazz or Punk or anything so theres only a handfull of things id want the amp for, Smooth agreeisive lead and rythm, warm bluesy and a nice clean sound.

Also, after looking on the US ebay (theres F*** all on the british one, as usual) i found some Combos that i could afford (not sure how shipping would be over to england though,id rather buy from a big retailer) and the heads seemed quite a bit more. Now, not knowing too much about amps, if i was to buy a combo like sya the DC-5, can that be hooked up to a cab in the same way a head can if i ever needed to?

Cheers. Any other suggestions on amps would be great: I think im pretty descided on pickups now
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 12:15 PM

Well, I should mention that the .50 Caliber + amp I mentioned is an older model that only has one set of controls for both channels. In other words, the clean channel uses the same EQ controls and gain controls as the lead channel, so its not that versatile. Everytime you switch channels you have to change controls to get the other to sound right.

The Mesa/Boogie DC-5 is much more versatile and it has two completely independant channels, an additional channel selectable EQ panel and a third mode that can be used via push/pull switch on the clean channel. The clean channel on this amp sounds really good (much better than the sterile clean channel on the Mesa Rectifier models), and can go from crystal clear to a bluesy low gain kinda feel with a little tweak on the gain control. The DC-5 also has a third mode that is accessed by pulling the gain control outward on the clean channel. The third mode is like a channel inbetween clean and lead. Its pretty chunky, with a lot of mids and has a good crunch to it. I personally prefer the lead channel over that though. It really rips!! Not to mention, it is VERY loud and has no problem in the volume department.

As far as hooking up the DC-5 combo to a separate cabinet, I believe you can do so. I dont have the combo myself, I own the head, but I am almost positive there is a external speaker jack on the combo that would allow you to do so. That is probably something you could find out for sure via a bit of online research on the amp. Its a great amp and im sure youd be more than satisfied with it! Keep an eye out for ones popping up........I was lucky enough to pick my DC-5 head for $500 via eBay.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Cheers. The DC-5 sounds just what im after. I read some reviews last nght and it sounds killer. (One dude said it was the worst sounding amp ever, but what does he know hey).

Due to the prices in the USA being so much better than UK ones do you know if there are any large stores that sell equiptment like amps online?.
Id much rather buy a second hand amp and pay and get it shipped from a real company. Seeing as ebay can be slightly dodgy at times, and id be a lot happier buying from a real company.

(Edit)
Also i forgot to mention that are the DC-5's still in production because if not then i doubt ill be able to get to anywhere and try one out before i set my mind on getting one second hand. As i dont really want to spend hundred and then have nags about it.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 05:55 PM

if you like playing racer x stuff and you like the sound have a look at some Laney stuff, i have a GH50L head and it gives a nice warm thick british tone. Have a look at the GH50L if you want a good simple head(i channel master volume with gain boost), if you want more channels and stuff have a look at the VC30, VC50 or VH100R. Youll get them at a good price too
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

How does the Laney stuff compare in term of metal tones? Ie palm mutted riffs and smooth distortion like boogies?
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly
Cheers. The DC-5 sounds just what im after. I read some reviews last nght and it sounds killer. (One dude said it was the worst sounding amp ever, but what does he know hey).

Also i forgot to mention that are the DC-5's still in production because if not then i doubt ill be able to get to anywhere and try one out before i set my mind on getting one second hand. As i dont really want to spend hundred and then have nags about it.
Unfortunately the DC-5 is no longer in production. It was discontinued and survived by the newer Nomad series, which in my opinion is not as good as the Dual Caliber series. Other than buying from personal owners and shopping eBay.....im not sure if there are other ways of getting any of the dual caliber Mesa amps Although, if you're still interested in shopping eBay for the DC-5, just be sure to check on the sellers feedback. Be sure that they have decent selling experience and little or no negative feedback from buyers. That way you know you're not dealing with some bozo. As for trying it before buying....that may be a toughie with it being out of production
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Hmm. If i was to get from the US ebay (lot more choice and better price than over here) i would also assume a hefty import and postage cost, but it might not be that bad as i would save on the amp.

As for trying it out...This wouild be the first tube/Propper amp (ie one that costs load) i would have bought, and i dont think its such a good idea to buy with trying, although theres been some great reviews on the DC-5.

Hmm, choices, so many ****** choices
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 12:07 PM

Quote:
How does the Laney stuff compare in term of metal tones? Ie palm mutted riffs and smooth distortion like boogies?
have a listen to racer x or opeth. i find that if you set it right you can get some great metal tones, even better if you stick an eq in the loop. but dont expect quality scooped metal tones, were talking marshall but smoother and a bit tighter
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. PG's tone Rocks in Racer X, although i heard that there isnt as much gain available in the Laneys as there is in other amps.

What exactly is meant by scooped mids? Ive heard the term many times but never actually understood what it means as to the tone its meant to be describing

cheers
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:16 PM

Quote:
What exactly is meant by scooped mids? Ive heard the term many times but never actually understood what it means as to the tone its meant to be describing

cheers
omg, are you kidding? If you don't know what that means, you have more problems than deciding on an amp and some pickups to buy!! LOL
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:58 PM

Lookout Swirly! How dare you ask a question around here

Whatever. I'll gladly answer your question. "Scooped mids" means that that midrange portion of your guitar tone (typically at or near 500-1000Hz) is lowered in level, hence "scooped." Your tone looks like a V or a U when seen graphically, with bass and treble boosted, but the mids cut, "scooped" out. This sound is popular with heavy metal guitarists. Think Pantera or Metallica's guitar sounds. It's more edgy and percussive.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, i thought it was somthing to do with having the Bass and Treble boosted up higher than the mids, but i didnt know if there was anything else to it, and i didnt realise why it was known as 'scooped' as ive never really looked at graphs of thinks like that.

Ta for clearing it up anyways

(Have to keep my questions to myself next time aye )

Tags
amp distortion , clean tone , distortion pedal , heavy metal , humbucking pickup , mesa amps , mesa boogie , mesa rectifier , paf pro , paul gilbert , scooped mids , speaker cab , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode