New to Recording - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Question New to Recording

So as the title said, I'm with a band that has no idea to record [or they probably do, but lack the essentials to actually record something haha...]

So this is how our "studio" room is set up. It's a carpet floor with a few cloth hangings on the wall and foam on the door [so we don't disturb the rest of the house]. The two half stacks are set next to each other, both pointing inwards like so:

\ /

The bassist has his own little corner for his amp. The drums are faced in the remaining corner of the room. So each musician has his own little corner, except for the guitarist who share a corner.

It's a perfect cubed room... 10x10x10 feet.
There is no computer in this room. This is simply where all the instruments are.

So my question is what will we need to record? Obviously a condenser microphone, but what else so that we can record in that room and the put it on the computer? Do we record our instruments individually via a mic? together? Do we link our amps to a recorder?

I'm so lost... hah

For the time being, since recording gear is so expensive, we'll just focus on recording the guitar [no drums or bass or vocals] so just listing the gear needed to record two half stacks would be helpful. Do we want to let the mic hang from the ceiling or put the mic in front of each speaker? I'll be sure to update this as more questions arise. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Re: New to Recording

To cut costs and everything, woudl a digital recording studio be a better investment?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Banned

Re: New to Recording

If your computer can handel Pro tools LE or cubase LE I would say get either a Mbox or a firebox (you should get an external hard drive to). You can record everything direct into the box that goes into your computer. No need for amps, amplitube LE comes with both I think (pro tools for sure), and you'll get a better tone from from that then trying to record your amp through a condenser. If you save your pennys you can upgrade to amplitube II and get the best guitar tones of your life! And for recording guitar from the amp I would use a dynamic mic (like an sm 57), but the bass would beat the **** out of that mic. You can record everyone individually or 2 people at once with either setup (to a click for perfect timing). Fire box with cuebase is cheaper and has more tracks, but Pro tools (I think) is better. For all the answers (and more questions) check out www.secretsofthepros.com and get one of the modern recording DVDs. But as far as getting a studio in a box, like a Roland or a Boss or the like, those are really limited, a computer set up is cheaper in the beginning and really expandable. For lots of Knowledge on recording check out www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/.

Tags
condenser mic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode