New to Tubes, need to build a rig - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

New to Tubes, need to build a rig

Hey there. I have been playing guitar for about 19 years. Really gotten back into this year after taking a good break for about 10 years. I played all the while but never done much educating or learning anything new. Anyway, Im prepping for a metal band and got most of the songs down but my 2X12 solid state amp wasnt cutting it for me so I decided to go with a good tube setup.

I purchased a 5150iii 50w head. I plan on purchasing 2 1X12 Orange cabs simply because there easier to transport than a 2X12. Now the dilemma im having is whether to go Rack or Pedals. It seems most people are pointing me into rackmounts and I like that idea the only thing is I have no familiarity with them so I need some help in knowing what I need to get this going.

In terms of effects I dont use much. I basically want GAIN and lots of it My 5150 gives me that. Were playing metal so thats pretty much all I require at the moment. For those of you who are familiar with that head you know it gives alot of noise from the gain so I deffinetly need a noise gate. Im pretty much sold on the Decimator Pro Rack G. I tried the Decimator 2 pedal in my effects loop and it worked quite well so I trust the product.

Also, do these hook into the head through the effects loop ?

What else do I need in a rack. I read about Power Conditioners. Maybe a tuner. An EQ ? A friend of mine built his own rack cab and it turned out great so I can get him to build a nice cab to save some cash .

I noticed some people put there head right in there racks. Is that OK to do with a Tube head in terms of heat ? Or should the rack have a fan in there somewhere.

Again guys. Completely oblivious to heads, tubes, racks, etc. Ive always been a plug into a Digitech or Line 6 kinda guy. So help me up my game. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by lorper; 02-22-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:57 PM

Re: New to Tubes, need to build a rig

I'm an advocate of the simpler, the better. I play through a Mesa Roadster half stack, with a delay in the loop and occasionally a boost out front, and that's it. The delay only gets turned on for my lead sound (the amp has channel-assignable FX loop configuration).

In a pinch, I could get by plugging straight into the amp, and if you're coming from a Digitech/Line6 rack world, honestly, I think running plug-and-play for a while might be refreshing for you.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend a rack mountable EQ ?

I sold off my MXR 10 band in hopes to get a Rack EQ going. I can get the MXR back if thats the better option.

Im running a 5150iii 50watt through 2 1X12 Orange Cabs.

Maybe EQ isnt necessary I really dont know.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I'm an advocate of the simpler, the exhibition better. I play through a Mesa Roadster half stack, with a delay in the loop and occasionally a boost out front, and that's it. The delay only gets turned on for my lead sound (the amp has channel-assignable FX loop configuration).

In a pinch, I could get by plugging straight into the amp, and if you're coming from a Digitech/Line6 rack world, honestly, I think running plug-and-play for a while might be refreshing for you.
Thanks for sharing

Last edited by alicechan11; 03-24-2017 at 04:22 AM.

Tags
5150iii , rack , rig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode