New wah - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

New wah

Right now I have a Dunlop Hendrix Wah Special, which I'm really not too happy with(its my first wah and it was only 30 bucks used). The thing I didn't like was that it was hardly, if at all audible when playing above the 12th fret. Also, the midrange wasn't there. You couldn't get an aawww sound out of it. I need a full sound wherever I play on the fretboard. I've been looking at a Tech 21 Killer Wail Wah and a Crybaby 535Q. I always get mixed reviews at harmony central. I need your opinions on how both of these do for shred and some older stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 12:07 PM

Read the post in this forum about the "bad horsie wah- Help needed."
I get very descrpitive about my opinion of wahs. And do a search.

Considering what this site is I think most people may say get a Morley wah. DONT! If your very serious about wahs anyway. In most guitar forums not so associated with Vai, the Morleys are more or less considered the worst wahs. I never liked the modern crybaby either. The Vox reissue is definitly a step up and will give you your nice sweep all over the fretboard (even the best wahs dont always have a huge effect on the highest notes). Stay away from those multi wahs like the tech21 wah.

I mentioned why I think boutique Teese and Fulltone wahs are the best modern made wahs in the other post. Thomas Organ wahs were mentioned which I do own (it doesnt work anymore) and are at the top of the wah game. The thing with the Thomas Wahs is, you can get them used very cheap and they do sound great but getting one in half decent condition is tough so I dont make a habbit of recomending them.

And your tone has an effect too. I find it hard to get a good "wah" sweep at home practice levels or with the scooped mid thing that people do. Live, when Im very loud, my Teese Wizard has so much sweep it overcomes the mix. I find myself using it on things Ive never used it for becouse my solos cut through that much more. Its also been said that wah work best on amps with alota mids. This is true.

I also get an awesome "whole lota love" solo sound. Modern production wahs could NEVER nail that sound.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 12:55 PM

I'd give the Teese a shot, $175 with true bypass can't be too wrong.

I've owned Ibanez WH-10 (the pot went bad... bugger!), a Crybaby (too mediocre, sucks tone), Dunlop Hendrix wah (a major tone leech box), Crybaby 535 (pretty ok when it comes to tone degradation, but too "industrial" and modern & politically correct sounding)...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 04:54 PM

I've only had these:

Cry Baby standard
Bad Horsie
Vox
Thomas Organ (Sepulveda)
535Q

...the 535Q is the best for my taste.
Greg
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 06:51 AM

I had the regular Crybaby, which was great, but the pot went bad. So I bought the Classis series Morley......total crap. I hate it. No warmth, too brittle, very disappointing.

I think I am either going to get the Vox or the 535q.

Tags
horsie wah , morley wah

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode