NGD: H&K Access and VS-250 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

NGD: H&K Access and VS-250

In a blast from the past I picked up the classic (and rare) Hughes and Kettner rack rig of yester-year, the Access preamp and matching VS-250 power amp.

The Access is a very rare preamp, and I was happy to be able to pick one up in good condition. The Access came with two different sound modules, A and B. The one I picked up has version 2.01 of the more desirable B sound module.

The Access has 3 channels: Clean, Tube 1 ("Crunch"), and Tube 2 ("Lead"). The Clean channel is clear and chimey and simply will not break up, period. Tube 1 can go from a nice rich clean up to JCM800 gain levels, and does fantastic in-between just breaking up tones. Tube 2 is just thick, mean, rip your face off gain. Add to that one of the coolest interfaces ever and three programmable effects loops. I love this thing. I even got a nice jazzy clean dialed in on Tube 1.

The VS-250 is a pretty unique power amp, and is even rarer than the Access it was made to pair with. It's 2 50 watt channels, driven by 4 EL84s each. Each channel has 2 presence modes and each channel can run in Pentode or Triode mode. Triode mode drops the power to 25w per channel.

Now on to the pics (I even took a gut shot of the Access for those that are in to that stuff )

Front photos, I'll get these racked up as soon as I grab some kind of effects processor

Access top

VS-250 top

Access Gut Shot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:46 PM

Re: NGD: H&K Access and VS-250

Don't know if you still come here but I could use some help with my H&K Access (Ver2.01)

I'm using an Art X11 MIDI foot pedal to change programs via MIDI and no matter what I do I can not get the Access to change to any other patch other then the number of the foot pedal button I press.

If I could start at preset 1 and press Bank 1 - #1 and be able to press bank 1 - #2 and only change the processor presets in their respective loops (A,B,C) and leave the Access at preset 1, life would be grand. Can not figure out how to do this. Read the manual cover to cover many times and I don't see how I can do this unless I am missing something in the MIDI set up.

I don't see how why the patch number I select when setting program # as you would on any other device connected to the Access has no effect. Baffled.

Tags
access , el-84 , hughes and kettner , preamp , vs-250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode