Nice and cheap 50 watt combo!!! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Nice and cheap 50 watt combo!!!

I was in my local music shop today to sell my daughters trumpet that has been collecting dust for a few years. The sales manager offered me $200 for it - cash or store credit. Since I made the rental / purchase payments, and she was the one who lost interest playing trumpet 1 month after the trade in period was over, I got to keep the cash.

I've been wanting a nice 50 watt solid state 1x12 combo to use for practice and jamming. I checked out the Ibanez Tone Blaster TB50R and was pleasantly surprised. It has clean and overdrive channels with separate EQ sections and a shared reverb. The overdrive channel has a push - pull mid-shift knob that cuts the mids at 600 Hz or 1000 Hz.

It comes with a 2 button footswitch that can be plugged into either of 2 footswitch jacks. Jack 1 lets you switch channels and engage a +6 db lead boost. Jack 2 allows you to switch between the 2 mid-shift settings and turn the reverb on or off. If you buy another 2 button footswitch, you can perform all 4 functions.

The store was selling it for $249, so I picked it up for $49 out of pocket! - Not bad for a brand new - in the box 50w combo w/ footswitch.

It's perfect for my needs as a practice amp. It has a headphone jack and nice "bedroom metal" tones at low volume and is loud enough that I can use it at impromptu jams. The distortion is kinda harsh and gets that typical solid state "buzz tone" once the gain goes above "4" but it sounds ok to me, and has plenty of sustain and gain anywhere between the 2 and 4 setting. I haven't tried it out with my pedals yet. The clean channel also has a gain knob so you can use it super clean or crank the gain for a bit of hair around the edges - not really distorted, but nice and crunchy.

I'm also gonna take it to gigs to use as a backup in case my Carvin X100B ever goes on the fritz. It has a speaker out jack, so I can plug directly into my 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet on stage.

Pretty versatile 50 watt amp for $49 ($249).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 10:43 AM

Are you 100% sold on the Ibanez? Because if you're still open to other suggestions and the power isn't mandatory, I'd give the Tech 21 Trademark 10 a look... Not enough power to gig with unles you mic it (which is a good idea anyway), but it's one of the best sounding solid state amps I've ever got my hands on, disgustingly versatile, and about the same price.

-Drew
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

One of the reasons I chose the Ibanez 1x12 is that I had a spare 75 watt Celestion lying around. It tighted up the sound of the amp a good bit.

The 50 watts was the minimum I needed because we gig at outdoor venues quite a bit. My backup needed to have some kick to it.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 02:38 PM

The only thing with the trademark10 is theres no channel switching or functions of any kind. Its basically the GT2 with a SS poweramp and speaker cab built around it. It sounds very good. A trademark 60 is channel switching and is 60 watts. Im not much for SS amps but I did like my TM10 when I still had it. It was a great practice amp for me.

Another option I find VERY usefull if you like SS amps is Tech21's PowerEngine 60. Its a SS power amp and 1x12 speaker cab that looks like thier trademark 60 amp but it doesnt have any preamp. You could use a POD, a TriAC, or any Tech21 preamp/DI or really any preamp you want, digital, SS, or tube. Considering I always carry a TriAC for backup to a gig and have a PODxt for home, if I liked SS amps It would be very convenient for me to use one of those.

http://tech21nyc.com
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 03:27 PM

Yeah, but a single channel isn't a huge deal for a practice amp...

I'm with you though. It ain't tube, but it's super-light (compared to every tube amp I've run into), gives decent sounds, doesn't sound digital, and you don't have to wait for it to warm up- a perfect practice amp. I've been meaning to grab one for ages.

-D
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 04:24 PM

Rob Balducci used a Tone Blaster at guitar clinic and he sounded great.

and Marcel Coenen had a small vid of him playing throught the half-stack and it sounded good too
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 11:29 PM

... just waiting for TwoHands31 to chime in about Line 6 amps...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
... just waiting for TwoHands31 to chime in about Line 6 amps...
The more I use my PODxt, the more I understand TwoHands31.

Tags
button footswitch , darren wilson , gain knob , local music shop , marcel coenen , power amp , practice amp , rob balducci , solid state amp , solid state amps , speaker cab , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode