Ibanez JEM Forum banner

No noise from tube preamp...

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  finstah 
#1 ·
Hi,

I bought an engl 620 tube preamp from a guy on ****, fired it up for the first time and I'm getting no noise whatsover... the guy's claiming it was 100% per cent fine when he sent it and that 'a tube may have come lose in transit'... does this sound reasonable? The preamp has three tubes, if one comes lose does that mean all sound cuts out or should I stil be getting something? The power light is coming on.

I'm basically asking just in case there's anything simple I might be able to do to fix it without having to go through the strain of getting him to pay to have it shipped back to him and all that kind of stuff.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I have had the same experience having tube amps (or preamps) shipped. The tubes tend to become loose during shipping.

Many times, it's better to remove them for shipping anyway. Be careful handling them things (grease on your hands,,,etc) Make sure they go back where they're supposed to (if you have different types).

Once they're in, look to see if they get power. A trip to the local music store may be inevitable and save you an IMMENSE HEADACHE- having to send it back. (was it insured for shipping??)

GOOD LUCK!!!
JV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.