Noise gate on an ADA MP-1? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Noise gate on an ADA MP-1?

Hey guys-I was wondering what would be a good cheap noise gate for my rig. I am running a MP-1 through a Carvin power amp with a Midiverb 4 in the effects loop. It's got some serious hiss to it. I'm gonna buy new tubes for the MP-1, but I'll still probably need a gate. I was thinking about the Rocktron Hush pedal instead of the rack unit, due to the price. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 03:52 PM

Reviews: 1
Either will work fine.
I used to use the Boss NS-2 pedal which was pretty good as well.
you can find the hush racks cheaply nowadays.
if you go with a multi fx unit, many have gating on them as well.

Bamm
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 04:47 PM

I would definitely go with the rack unit. My buddy has the pedal and although it is ok, I found the rack unit was nicer. Then again you could sell your ada mp-1 and buy yourself an ada mp-2 which has a built in Noise Gate. They usually sell for about 275 on evilbay.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 07:51 PM

Problem with the ADA MP-2 is, most agree it doesn't sound even close to as good as the MP-1. Is a has a lot more features, voicings, you name it.... but I feel the sound really suffered. MP-1's are noisy little bitches though. I prefer the MP-1 to the MP-1 Classic as well. They never got it quite right again when the original went out of production.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 09:01 PM

Yeah the MP-1 Classic is crap. I really loved the original MP-1 and used it from 1987 till 1992 when the MP-2 came out. At first I was so damn frustrated trying to dial in a sound that even compared to my MP-1 setup.
(At that time I was running an MP-1 thru a BBE Sonic Maximizer, plugged directly into the effects return on my Marshall Jubilee.) Once I got a my sound dialed into the MP-2 there was no way I was going back to the MP-1. To this day, I still use my MP-2 thru a BBE Sonic Maximizer into 2 microtube 200's. I have yet to hear anything else that has satisfied my need for Hi-gain and tone.

BTW the MP-1 sounds excellent if run guitar into the input of MP-1 and output of the MP-1 into the effects return of effects loop on your guitar head (preferably older JCM 800 type with loop)
This actually reduces alot of your noise.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 10:08 PM
DC

I had an MP-1 for awhile, but the noise got to me so I sold it. I used it with a BBE Sonic Maximizer too; that seems to be a common pairing. Anyway, you definitely need some kind of gate. I like the Boss NS-2 a lot. It's real easy to adjust and you can get one for like $50.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:28 PM

Interesting, creature. I might have to give it another chance soon, hell it's cheap enough now. I just got a new BBE 482 and makes the MP-1 really shine.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:32 PM

Yeah Steeda definitely snatch one up. It is a pain at first but its great once you get it set up.

Pete
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 04:00 AM

totally agree: get one as soon as you can!

Leishan,
DO NOT sell your MP-1, and get a Hush pedal or a NS-2. but do not sell the babe.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 11:39 PM

Yes, ADA MP-1 RULES!!!!
Including mine!
My settings:
Gain 1: 5
Gain 2: 5
Bass: 10
Middle: 2
Treble: 6
Presence: 12
Tubarão
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 04:16 AM

I used the Hush circuit in my Patchmate with my ADA MP-1-works fine as you can midi control the Patchmate and therefore have different noise reduction levels for different patches.

Cheers

Simon
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 07:52 AM
rfb

I use the noise gate on the G Major in my rig, and it works fine with my original MP1.

- rfb

Tags
bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , marshall jubilee , power amp , rocktron hush , sonic maximizer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode