noisy amp problem.. driving me crazy - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

noisy amp problem.. driving me crazy

ok guys.. i put new power tubes in the amp sounds much better.. my tone has improved dramatically.. but after about say 20 minutes of playing i still get this bad crackle in the speaker.. doesn't matter how loud the amp is set. it's always the same crackle at any volume. it's not constant. it happens about every 2 seconds for just a a split second. i looked at the tubes i just put in.. they are fine. the preamp tubes are all lit.. not glowing red like some have said can be a sign for bad ones. it seems to me that if i turned the amp volume all the way down that sound would stop.. but it's not.. any idea??? speaker problems?? interference in the wire from the preamp to the speaker. help me out.. i wanna sell the thing and i want no problems with it when i sell it.. thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 01:00 PM

sounds like maybe a bad preamp tube.....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 01:33 PM

Try new cables they might be duds

If not, when you installed the tubes did you knock anything loose?

It could be a number of things so it is hard to say. What preamp tubes do you have and how long have they been in there?

Freak
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 05:54 AM

what sort of amp is it?

it sounds a bit like the problem I had with my Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Head the first time around
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 05:56 AM

is it a soft/smooth crackle (as in , not a violent crackle)? and also, do you find you are getting volume swelling?

when your playing loud, do you find after a short while that the volume may get louder and then softer?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

apparantly i left the amp model out.. I have a JCM 2000 TSL 601. So Joshka, could be the same kinda problem. it's violent yes. not very loud.. but all of a sudden it will go kkkkkk.. for a split second, then about 3 or 4 seconds later it will happen again. but it takes about 20- 30 mintues of playign before it starts doing this. i haven't had it extremekly loud lately since i have been playign in my dorm room, but i haven't noticed any volume swelling. any ideas??

Tags
preamp tube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode