Noob Interface Question! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Noob Interface Question!

Hey guys, so I just got my graduation present (Mac Pro, i5 processor w 320 gigs) love it. Anywho, I planned on doing some basic recording in garage band, nothing special, just to get me by.

So I was wandering, what's the cheapest interface that allows me to replay and track simultaneously. I have no idea if their is a term for that (noob.) but i've come across a few threads and think that it has something to do with duplex? Like I said, I don't know. I'm a moron when it comes to this side of the audio world. Feel free to squander my ignorance with knowledge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Noob Interface Question!

Cheapest isn't always the best--you get what you pay for. Some people like the M-Audio stuff, but I hate them. I just picked up a Yamaha Audiogram for computer-based recording, and it's out-of-this-world! I'll have a review up soon.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 AM

what are you recording from ? Mic? Line outs ? Some device like a Pod ? For some you need nothing to get by and can use your mic in. For others you need an interface like Apogee one or Maudio or the likes
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

I planned just to run from the interface to garageband and run off of the 'amps' built-in. Like I said, I don't really need it to sound like Logic Studio. Is there something i'm still ignorant of? Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

If your soundcard is not a full duplex model, you'll need an interface to hear playback while recording--an interface is necessary. The Audiogram has a USB connection for PC and plenty of inputs PLUS a headphone out.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 PM

Macs can play back and record at the same time, question is where do you hook it up to the amp.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

I wasn't planning on it. I planned on running guitar > audio interface > garageband using their preset amplifier models.

Basically, now that I know Mac's can play back and record at the same time...what's a decent interface that won't break the bank?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyTubes View Post
I wasn't planning on it. I planned on running guitar > audio interface > garageband using their preset amplifier models.

Basically, now that I know Mac's can play back and record at the same time...what's a decent interface that won't break the bank?
Either make note of the recommendations you've received in this thread, go to the reviews section, or browse online music stores.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyTubes View Post

depends on what you call breaking the bank. Personally i go with an apogee one. It has an instrument in and goes straight into garageband. Its made for a mac and for garageband/logic. Works great. Also has a built in Mic.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 PM

M-Audio had some pretty decent inexpensive interfaces. They usually come with a lite version of Pro Tools too if you ever decide to get a little more serious.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 06:45 AM

Since you have a mac you might aswell take advantage of the firewire port and get a firewire interface...I got a presonus inspire for 160 that works great and it came bundled with a bunch of free software (cubase, ampeg bass sim, amplitube, etc.), they were only lite version but they are always handy to have.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 12:42 PM

Apogee and MOTU are good quality and work well with macs. I am still using an 828mkII and am very satisfied, I would not get anything maudio makes.

You should really do a LOT of reading before committing to anything. YOu seem a little clueless and that will cost you dearly if you don't school up before making purchases.

Think about the future, and there is no such thing as GOOD and CHEAP in the recording game.

Start here. http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Tags
audio interface , interface

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode