Not sure what to get? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Not sure what to get?

I'm not sure what I should purchase. A Laney half stack or some Shure mics, M-Audio 410 firewire interface, and a Mackie 1402 mixer? Or maybe even a drum set?

I was thinking about setting up a recording studio, at least a basic one for now and was told that the above equipment was all that was necessary to record [along with decent recording software and studio monitors, which I have]. I was also thinking of a half stack just because I want an upgrade in amps. A drum set was the third possibility so that I could just make some drum beats myself, or if I ever get bored of guitar [psh like that'll happen haha].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 10:17 AM

Re: Not sure what to get?

well what amp do you have now ? if it is kind of small but fairly decent quality i'd go the recording route . I have a guitar port , it is great to be able to record a simple little progression and then try make a solo over it . If you looking to record your amp i would go with the mic and interface like you were already thinking . There are a couple of really good drum beat programs and if not you can buy a drum/rythem machine . Drum kits are expensive and take up too much room plus with a drum machine you dont have to contend with human error .
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Yeah that thought just occured to me last night, how I could spend the equivalent of getting a decent drum set for a lot of quality guitar parts... err, amps, etc.

Right now I have a simple practice amp, 15 watts, just for home use. It has subpar sound quality though, very muddy. I do use a POD 2 through it, so maybe that's a contributing factor..? Our band doesn't play that many shows, but when we do, it's usually around a 500 person crowd (fairly small), usually outdoors [and I usually use our ex-guitarist's spare JCM head, but he's moved, thus I am left with the practice amp, which in turn equals no shows.]

We've been recording through a simple computer microphone which gives us horrible playback and recording quality [hey, what would you expect?] thus maybe recording equipment is in dire need.

Or could I get the best of both wolrds by upgrading my amp to a <100 watt tube amp [suggest cheap, but decent ones] and as well get the necessary recording equipment for at least the guitarists and bassist [the drummer can handle micing on his own].
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 05:55 PM

^^^ I think going with that idea (the best of both worlds by upgrading your amp to a <100 watt tube amp and getting the necessary recording equipment for atleast the guitarists and bassist) is the best route to go. I'd suggest you get a Mesa or any tube 2x12 combo in your price range. Then use the rest of your money to buy the recording equipment.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:37 PM

well having a recording setup doesn't help if you dont have sometime to record . I can see your problem and given that you amp is smaller i am going to say that a amp would be the next thing to get . It wouldn't have to be a super expensive stack for you to notice how well your tone is going to improve .

There are a lot of great amps out there , soild state or tube that are high quality and have great tone for a reasonable price . it would depend on your music and what your going for .

also if your computer has an 1/8 inch recording input on the sound card you can buy a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch converter and run your pod into a computer based recording program . Or i have a mic that has a 1/4 inch cable and run it into a converter for 1/8 and that i how a record my physical amp . It doesn't get the greatest sound quality but the mic is sort of crappy and i am sure that the sound card isn't that great but hey it will get you by until you have more money to spend on a full set up .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Wait would I need to get a new sound card as well? I have a Creative Labs Audigy 2Z or something of that name.

Tubes are considerably more expensive, but offer a much better sound and tone. Would you recommend a solid state or a tube and what brand amps/models, given that I would probably still want/need to purchase recording gear as listed above [because I know almost all of you will say tube amps hands down]? I was thinking of a Laney head and a 2x12 cab, but of course I am VERY open to any other opinions.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMG View Post
Wait would I need to get a new sound card as well? I have a Creative Labs Audigy 2Z or something of that name.

Tubes are considerably more expensive, but offer a much better sound and tone. Would you recommend a solid state or a tube and what brand amps/models, given that I would probably still want/need to purchase recording gear as listed above [because I know almost all of you will say tube amps hands down]? I was thinking of a Laney head and a 2x12 cab, but of course I am VERY open to any other opinions.

nope you wouldn't need a sound card if you have an interface .

what music are you playing ? laney from what i hear is very nice , i have never personally played one .

As far as good sounding soild state heads go, the peavey xxl is nice very tube like and cheaper at around 300 to 350 used .

the ibanez tone blaster head , 235 new is a very good vaule . I tt packs a tone of distortion , cleans are alright and IMO is fairly versital .

I have never played but hear good things about the carvin sx head . Very reasonably priced and like i said are suppose to be fairly good sounding .

moving to tube and hybrid you get these in a fairly decent range

the vox ad100vt head . These amps pack quite an aray of sounds , from effects to amp modelers . The different model amp sounds are close to the real thing for the most part , the effects are decent and the head can be overdriven like a normal tube amp . these sell for 400 new .

the epiphone socal 50 is an all tube amp head . By the way epiphone descibes the amp , it sounds like it is a mesa boogie solo 50 . I haven't even heard of anyone buying one yet , they are newer and sell for 500.

it really again depends on what sound your going for and at what price , there are a ton of amps out there .
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I apologize for giving a vague request of amps. I'm looking for either tube or solid state, either combo or head [and then hook myself up with an Avatar 2x12 cab]. I'm looking for a classic rock sound, mostly from the 70s and 80s. but I also want the option and ability to get a nice thick, heavy, and chunky metal sound. Of course, I would want a very clear and stable clean option as I might also be hooking my POD 2 to it as well. I do however want to keep my price range for an amp or halfstack under $450 and spend the rest on recording equipment.

EDIT: Found an amp on the Bay but it says it's been recapped with orange drops. What does this mean and is it worth purchasing an amp head that's been recapped?

Last edited by AKMG; 08-06-2006 at 12:18 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

No further opinions?

Tags
amp head , amp modeler , guitar port , mesa boogie , peavey xxl , practice amp , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode